Coweling and engine bay aero

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Some roads in Texas would like to have a word with you... Or some cannonballers..

Basically roads in every single state. Except maybe RI or DE. You don't need much road to get above 150mph. I really don't understand it. It's not like we are accelerating a NA 4 banger.

Looking at a google map of Australia there seems to be PLENTY of wide open roads?

My plan is the m3 cowl conversion and to be done with it.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
If a naturally aspirated I6 BMW can do 155, I see no problems with our TT cars.

Literally every product in the VTT catalogue will help you go above 150mph, one good one which will help greatly is called a TURBO.

Could
Basically roads in every single state. Except maybe RI or DE. You don't need much road to get above 150mph. I really don't understand it. It's not like we are accelerating a NA 4 banger.

Looking at a google map of Australia there seems to be PLENTY of wide open roads?

Reactions: Torgus

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m

Really do over 22mph over the capped 68mph and loose your licence for 1 month on the spot and 6months when over 30

• Funny
Reactions: Torgus

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
lots of dudes have set records on motorcycles... if your thinking of Burt Munro made famous by the movie "The World's Fastest Indian" he was a kiwi.
we like adopting any successful kiwi's as aussie's, so yeah your right, he was aussie... lol.
Best line this week on spoolstreet! I laughed my butt off.

Filippo

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
kind of on topic - if you have an interest in aero, bmw's facility is something else.

20 years ago i spent a lot hours in "small" wind tunnels for our fluid mechanics projects, standing inside this bad boy would have been all of my Christmases coming at once.

1597196917587.png

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009

Those google maps don’t show the shit show/cluster fuck that are our road laws.
As Marty alluded to, we have overly severe penalties for being caught going over the limit. One state in particular( Victoria) has speed cameras with only a couple of kms tolerance. It’s a revenue generating machine with road safety as the excuse.Somebody should kick someone else right in the cunt for that shit.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Back to the real subject at hand though. A simple array of pressure sensors mounted on a car driven at the appropriate speed might be an easy way to sort out exactly how much lift you have. Pressure * area Above below the bonnet and under the under tray would tell you if there’s lift.
Hell a linear potentiometer on one of the shocks as someone mentioned wouldn’t be a bad way to tell if it gains lift or not either... just sayin?

gmagnus7

Corporal
Dec 3, 2018
Ride
135i N54
Where I live in Canada, the country is so big and is much less populated compared to others. There's plenty of farm roads, long open stretches, and backroads that cops never patrol. There's just no point and they have no time for that. Most of the time I'm more worried about an animal jumping out than a seeing a cop when out for a rip.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Where I live in Canada, the country is so big and is much less populated compared to others. There's plenty of farm roads, long open stretches, and backroads that cops never patrol. There's just no point and they have no time for that. Most of the time I'm more worried about an animal jumping out than a seeing a cop when out for a rip.
Can we not mention the animals trying to kill us? 😜http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-37481251
You have moose and bears. I imagine hitting one of those at speed isn’t fun either.

• Funny
Reactions: rac

gmagnus7

Corporal
Dec 3, 2018
Ride
135i N54
Can we not mention the animals trying to kill us? 😜http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-37481251
You have moose and bears. I imagine hitting one of those at speed isn’t fun either.
Oh my god on his dick!? I can't. But yes moose and deer are a big concern, bears tend to stay away from the roads. But even groundhogs, foxes, or any other small animals will do some serious damage. A couple weeks ago I had to slam on my brakes because a moose ran out in front. If I was driving any other car (like my truck for example) and didn't have my street/track pads on, I swear I would've hit it. Thought the hooves were going to kick my bumper off.

Last edited:

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt

Oh... hell... no! "Looked down and saw black legs curling around the bowl lid" fffffuuuuuu.

Oh my god on his dick!? I can't. But yes moose and deer are a big concern, bears tend to stay away from the roads. But even groundhogs, foxes, or any other small animals will do some enough damage. A couple weeks ago I had to slam on my brakes because a moose ran out in front. If I was driving any other car (like my truck for example) and didn't have my street/track pads on, I swear I would've hit it. Thought the hooves were going to kick my bumper off.

Deer and turkeys here. They give absolutely zero fucks.

Buddy of mine hit a turkey with his truck a while back, ripped his bumper and fender off and bent the hood in half. Feathers and bones absolutely everywhere.

I was just like, bit bigger than a chicken huh? 🤣😃🤣😃

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
Oh my god on his dick!? I can't. But yes moose and deer are a big concern, bears tend to stay away from the roads. But even groundhogs, foxes, or any other small animals will do some enough damage. A couple weeks ago I had to slam on my brakes because a moose ran out in front. If I was driving any other car (like my truck for example) and didn't have my street/track pads on, I swear I would've hit it. Thought the hooves were going to kick my bumper off.

sometimes your trying to avoid getting bitten on the dick, hitting kangaroos that like to jump out of nowhere , and not get busted by speed camera's at the same time... lol. that link cracked me up.

Back to the real subject at hand though. A simple array of pressure sensors mounted on a car driven at the appropriate speed might be an easy way to sort out exactly how much lift you have. Pressure * area Above below the bonnet and under the under tray would tell you if there’s lift.
Hell a linear potentiometer on one of the shocks as someone mentioned wouldn’t be a bad way to tell if it gains lift or not either... just sayin?

there is lift, dont worry about. the question is how much more without the cowl.

4x suspension potentiometers is a done thing as its used as suspension tuning tool and provides a gold mine of data. the brand name stuff and data logger all adds up as a decent investment in $ and time.

julian edgar's video here:

explains a potentially cheaper way of going about it with used pots. he has some other interesting videos as well relevant to topic while trying to sell his book.

• Informative
Reactions: The Convert

Cruizinmax

Corporal
Jul 18, 2018
Ride
09 335i
I feel like you guys are arguing over whether you should fold your mirrors in and take your antenna off when running 1/2 mile events. Sure, it may make a difference but is it measurable and if so is it even impactful?

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
That famous wombat is the one you have to watch out for, that little fucker is hard to see and will send you airborne at speed into the nearest ditch.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
sometimes your trying to avoid getting bitten on the dick, hitting kangaroos that like to jump out of nowhere , and not get busted by speed camera's at the same time... lol. that link cracked me up.

there is lift, dont worry about. the question is how much more without the cowl.

4x suspension potentiometers is a done thing as its used as suspension tuning tool and provides a gold mine of data. the brand name stuff and data logger all adds up as a decent investment in $ and time.

julian edgar's video here:

explains a potentially cheaper way of going about it with used pots. he has some other interesting videos as well relevant to topic while trying to sell his book.

We already have the sensors on front and rear we would only have to be able to read the data via canbus through what ever module is reading it.

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
It would indeed be nice to discuss this without insults for having an opinion or asking questions...

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Those google maps don’t show the shit show/cluster fuck that are our road laws.
As Marty alluded to, we have overly severe penalties for being caught going over the limit. One state in particular( Victoria) has speed cameras with only a couple of kms tolerance. It’s a revenue generating machine with road safety as the excuse.Somebody should kick someone else right in the cunt for that shit.

UK is the same.

I'd take a fine and go on but here it's also driving bans and then an excuse for the insurance company to charge you a fortune for the next 3 years...

I struggle to find anywhere to test my 100-200kph(60-120mph) acceleration times.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
We can discuss the theory behind it but seriously is anyone going to see those kinds of speeds on the street and inviting this kind
of irresponsible behaviour is just silly.

There is silly people out there that will possibly take this and put it into practice killing or maiming them selves or others in the process.

The deletion of the cowl and turning the bonnet into a hood scoop starts to have effect at 130mph and STARTS to have some negative effects at 150+ mph.

The sensors are there maybe @jyamona could tap into them using the mhd app in some way or maybe some one from protools.

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
We already have the sensors on front and rear we would only have to be able to read the data via canbus through what ever module is reading it

well there you go. might take a bit of work but its all a lot more possible than i thought. fe1rx had a more complicated solution (in my opinion) on another forum's thread - i've asked the question, the man thinks stuff through so he probably has a reason. conceptually oem hardware makes it all possible.