CSF Intercooler for E Chassis N54 & N55 ***NEW PRODUCT***

Mike @ XPH

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 18, 2016
Las Vegas
1-5__09237.1551384065.1280.1280.jpg

It’s about damn time!” That’s what the industry shouted back when they found out that CSF would finally be releasing a high-performance BMW N54 intercooler. Late to the party considering the platform is now over ten years old, but after the overwhelming success of the CSF’s newer BMW n55 intercooler, CSF had to answer the call and supply an industry leading design to address all the shortcomings of not just the OEM unit, but also other aftermarket intercoolers.

2-4-1170x877.jpg

The BMW N54 engine has become known as one of the best built, most reliable engines in the world, especially from a high performance tuning standpoint. Many owners are now pushing well over 500hp out of these motors, some getting in the 700’s on big single turbo set ups, and a few now inching near or over the 1000hp mark! Truly amazing performance can be achieved when using the proper components from quality high performance companies, including needing a worthy high performance intercooler to handle the increased Intake Air Temperatures (IAT’s) generated from more power and higher boost pressures associated with these built vehicles.

CSF VS OEM
Is it time to replace your OEM intercooler?
The weak plastic endcaps can become weak & brittle over time with repeated heat cycle use and normal wear. Keep in mind the model range of 2004-2013 so the original OEM intercooler can be anywhere from 5 to almost 15 years old at the time of writing this article.
The OEM style tube/fin core has many performance limitations (keep reading below), and may also become full of debris from typical road use effecting performance of an already limited intercooler. Also, being mounted in the front fascia of the vehicle, small rock chips or debris may cause small punctures in the tubes of the core, causing small boost leaks which users may not realize, further reducing intercooler performance.
The direct injection system of the N54 engine causes massive amounts of oil build up in the charge piping, intercooler, and intake manifold. This further reduces the performance of the intercooler.
Before purchasing another OEM replacement intercooler for ~$530USD, potential buyers should realize that there is a much better alternative (at an even better price point!) with CSF’s new BMW N54 intercooler.

old1-1170x878.jpg

Intercooler Design
The OEM intercooler is made from plastic end tanks that are crimped on to an aluminum tube/fin core that is ~4 inches thick (105mm core width) and is 5 inches in height (127mm). This may be enough to keep IAT’s in check on a completely unmodified / stock vehicle, but once users to start increase power through bolt-on modifications, tuning, and built engines, the OEM intercooler will become the Achilles heel of the system with IAT’s skyrocketing out of the optimal range and drastically lowering the performance capabilities of the vehicle.
Enter CSF with their new, stepped core design, bar/plate high performance BMW n54 intercooler. This “drop-in fit” intercooler, which requires no modifications to install, has a bottom / larger section that is 5.5 inches thick (140mm) with a front face that is massive ~8.25 inches tall (210mm). A huge improvement over the OEM unit, and enough to handle even the most advanced n54 engine builds. Good for 1000hp no problem!

Core
The OEM, and some higher-price aftermarket units, are made out of a tube/fin style core. While lightweight, this type of core is prone to heat soaking under high boost levels and prolonged use. Also, the core is susceptible to bursting (or bulging) due to increased boost levels as tube/fin cores can not take the higher boost pressures of a high performance system.
CSF’s new BMW N54 intercooler is made from it’s industry exclusive rounded bar/plate core design. The rounded front face of the cooling bars allows for better airflow into the core. Airflow hits the core surface, and rather than scattering like it does with hitting the face of a flat bar that all competing products have, it travels around the face of the round bar and into core for much better performance than both the OEM design (flat face) and all other aftermarket competitors (all have flat face tubes or bars).
CSF has also wind-tunnel tested (in-house) and optimized the size of the core and fin density of the intercooler core to ensure low pressure drop and proper airflow into the rest of the system, including the radiator which is known to be another shortcoming of the cooling system. (Check out CSF’s high performance radiators to complete the ultimate cooling solution – CSF #7045 (manual / #7046 automatic).

With CSF’s high performance bar/plate style core, you never have to worry about spikes in pressure or failure due to higher boost pressures, the CSF intercooler is pressure tested to 120psi!

Endtanks
Compared to the OEM style plastic crimped on end tanks, the CSF unit is vastly improved. The all-aluminum cast end tanks are 100% TIG welded to the high performance core for better durability, reliability, and longevity. The CSF intercooler comes with a lifetime guarantee against manufacturing defects or failure due to normal / intended use.
Just like the OEM design, the CSF intercooler integrates the factory style “Quick-Connect” inlet/outlet fittings. CSF has CNC machined and welded these fittings to the core for perfect factory-level fitment. (new high performance locking spring clip included)

Fitment
  • CSF’s new BMW N54 intercooler is the only TRUE plug and play solution
  • No cheaper silicon hose clamp system, only BMW style “Quick-Connect machined fittings
  • OEM mounting locations w/ fitment kit and instructions included
  • Clears OEM crash bar / no modification to install with no cutting or trimming required.

Quality
When purchasing a CSF intercooler, you’re purchasing from a cooling system manufacturer that is an ISO-certified Tier-1 OEM supplier that has designed, built, and tested the entire intercooler in-house. Competitors source their cores from overseas factories, and either weld the coolers themselves (not factory level production), or simply purchase an intercooler from a supplier source. Also, CSF intercoolers are meticulously hand welded by expert TIG welders and finished in a semi-gloss black or silver finish that is much more durable to damage than uncoated intercoolers. Finally, each intercooler is individually packaged with hardware kit, instructions, and CSF logo stencil.

back-1170x878.jpg

CSF BMW High-Performance N54 Intercooler

Part Numbers
Semi Gloss Black – #CSF8127B
Brilliant Silver – #CSF8127

OEM Part Number

Fitment Specifications
  • Bottom Section: 140mm thick (5.5 inches)
  • Top Section: 61mm (2.4 inches thick)
  • Total Height of Front Face: 210mm (~8.27 inches)

Highlights
  • CNC Machined OEM Style Quick Connect Fittings
  • Rounded Bar and Plate Core
  • Stepped Intercooler Design
  • OEM Mounting locations
  • Direct Plug and Play

What’s Included?
  • CSF BMW High-Performance N54 Intercooler
  • CSF Logo Stencil
  • Hardware Kit, including high boost locking spring clips
  • Instructions

image-1170x762.png

Application Chart
BMW 335i
2007 BMW 335i Intercooler
2008 BMW 335i Intercooler
2009 BMW 335i Intercooler
2010 BMW 335i Intercooler
2011 BMW 335i Intercooler
2012 BMW 335i Intercooler
Body: Convertible, Chassis: E93
2012 BMW 335i Intercooler
Body: Coupe, Chassis: E92
2013 BMW 335i Intercooler
Body: Convertible, Chassis: E93
2013 BMW 335i Intercooler
BMW 335xi
2007 BMW 335xi Intercooler
2008 BMW 335xi Intercooler
BMW 135i
2008 BMW 135i Intercooler
2009 BMW 135i Intercooler
2010 BMW 135i Intercooler
2011 BMW 135i Intercooler
2012 BMW 135i Intercooler
2013 BMW 135i Intercooler
BMW 335i xDrive
2009 BMW 335i xDrive Intercooler
2010 BMW 335i xDrive Intercooler
2011 BMW 335i xDrive Intercooler
2012 BMW 335i xDrive Intercooler
2013 BMW 335i xDrive Intercooler
BMW Z4
2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i Intercooler
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i Intercooler
2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35is Intercooler
2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35i Intercooler
2012 BMW Z4 sDrive35i Intercooler
2012 BMW Z4 sDrive35is Intercooler
2013 BMW Z4 sDrive35i Intercooler
2013 BMW Z4 sDrive35is Intercooler
2014 BMW Z4 sDrive35i Intercooler
2014 BMW Z4 sDrive35is Intercooler
2015 BMW Z4 sDrive35i Intercooler
2015 BMW Z4 sDrive35is Intercooler
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i Intercooler
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35is Intercooler
BMW 335is
2011 BMW 335is Intercooler
2012 BMW 335is Intercooler
2013 BMW 335is Intercooler
BMW 1 Series M
2011 BMW 1 Series M Intercooler
BMW X1
2013 BMW X1 xDrive35i Intercooler
2014 BMW X1 xDrive35i Intercooler
2015 BMW X1 xDrive35i Intercooler
BMW 135is
2013 BMW 135is Intercooler

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
CSF has also wind-tunnel tested (in-house) and optimized the size of the core and fin density of the intercooler core to ensure low pressure drop and proper airflow into the rest of the system, including the radiator which is known to be another shortcoming of the cooling system. (Check out CSF’s high performance radiators to complete the ultimate cooling solution – CSF #7045 (manual / #7046 automatic).

I find it hard to accept that you promote this as the ultimate cooling solution.

In 100F ambient my CSF AT radiator could not keep coolant temps below 117C (start of AC reduction) for even one hot lap at Ningbo International Circuit. This although I switched from a stepped to a non-stepped FMIC to try and amend the problem. Here's the log including a warm up lap.

My car had similar power as an M4 at the time of logging. 380whp or so. Most people in here push much higher power levels, although seldom on track.

I love the CSF products, and the N54 community needs a much better performance radiator solution than what is currently offered. It is arguably more urgent than that of developing new FMICs.

Reactions: scrllock

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I find it hard to accept that you promote this as the ultimate cooling solution.

In 100F ambient my CSF AT radiator could not keep coolant temps below 117C (start of AC reduction) for even one hot lap at Ningbo International Circuit. This although I switched from a stepped to a non-stepped FMIC to try and amend the problem. Here's the log including a warm up lap.

My car had similar power as an M4 at the time of logging. 380whp or so. Most people in here push much higher power levels, although seldom on track.

I love the CSF products, and the N54 community needs a much better performance radiator solution than what is currently offered. It is arguably more urgent than that of developing new FMICs.

117°C is 242°F which is below normal operating temperatures of stock motors. That is more than acceptable temps. If your motor goes to beyond 275°f ...then it sucks. Most stock cars hover around 250°f in traffic on 100°f ambient days.

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
117°C is 242°F which is below normal operating temperatures of stock motors. That is more than acceptable temps. If your motor goes to beyond 275°f ...then it sucks. Most stock cars hover around 250°f in traffic on 100°f ambient days.

Oh you are thinking about engine oil temperature. I was referring to coolant temp. As you can see in the log, those are two separate parameters. Most people only pay attention to oil temperature, because you cant read the coolant temperature unless you use MHD or similar. You will also find that the DME pulls power at different temps depending on whether it is coolant or engine oil. I am sure you already know this, but I have found the tables for others to read below.

For maximum power we want cool coolant, cool iat and hot oil. Whenever I have experienced power reduction on track, it has always been due to coolant, not iat or engine oil. You will also find that the M2 and even the 1M has extra coolant radiators compared to 35i.

As of 2019, I now I have an extra coolant radiator and two larger engine oil coolers, so I am looking forward to see how those perform - I just haven't had the chance to do extended testing yet. I had to get the extra auxilary radiator custom made, because neither CSF nor others don't offer any N54 solutions that I know of.

Coolant:

Engine oil:

I wonder how high the IAT can go before you loose power? As far as I can see in my logs, I don't loose any power, even I am now running a smaller 7in FMIC and IATs peak at +160F on track in hot weather. Maybe CSF has some data on this?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Oh you are thinking about engine oil temperature. I was referring to coolant temp. As you can see in the log, those are two separate parameters. Most people only pay attention to oil temperature, because you cant read the coolant temperature unless you use MHD or similar. You will also find that the DME pulls power at different temps depending on whether it is coolant or engine oil. I am sure you already know this, but I have found the tables for others to read below.

For maximum power we want cool coolant, cool iat and hot oil. Whenever I have experienced power reduction on track, it has always been due to coolant, not iat or engine oil. You will also find that the M2 and even the 1M has extra coolant radiators compared to 35i.

As of 2019, I now I have an extra coolant radiator and two larger engine oil coolers, so I am looking forward to see how those perform - I just haven't had the chance to do extended testing yet. I had to get the extra auxilary radiator custom made, because neither CSF nor others don't offer any N54 solutions that I know of.

Coolant:

View attachment 24254

Engine oil:

View attachment 24255

I wonder how high the IAT can go before you loose power? As far as I can see in my logs, I don't loose any power, even I am now running a smaller 7in FMIC and IATs peak at +160F on track in hot weather. Maybe CSF has some data on this?

Holy moly....you talking about coolant...oh no...that should not go over 225°f driving hard. I have never ever passed 225°f ecxept for once or twice and it was still below 230°f. And I have the CSF radiator.

MDORPHN

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Ride
BMW 1M
Holy moly....you talking about coolant...oh no...that should not go over 225°f driving hard. I have never ever passed 225°f ecxept for once or twice and it was still below 230°f. And I have the CSF radiator.

I don't think you'll see high coolant temps driving on the street -- even aggressively. However, it regularly happens on road race tracks during 20+ min. sessions.

I, too, am running a CSF radiator on my single-turbo 1M and have added both ducting and hood vents as part of an ongoing effort to improve cooling

Neil

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I don't think you'll see high coolant temps driving on the street -- even aggressively. However, it regularly happens on road race tracks during 20+ min. sessions.

I, too, am running a CSF radiator on my single-turbo 1M and have added both ducting and hood vents as part of an ongoing effort to improve cooling

Neil

I live in Houston with over 100°f in summer and nightmarish traffic and aggressive drivers... not track but still very rough.

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
Did CSF fix the issue with their radiator being too cool in the winter? Have read stories of people having to cover their front grille to get their heat to come on. Seems like such a bad product, either too cold in the winter and not cool enough in the summer.

Really wish there was a better radiator and trans cooler solution for the N5x platform, not just yet another FMIC.

MDORPHN

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Ride
BMW 1M
I live in Houston with over 100°f in summer and nightmarish traffic and aggressive drivers... not track but still very rough.

Doesn't stress the system anything like repeated WOT and runs to redline on a road course over a 20-35 minute session, especially in a modified car running higher levels of boost.

Neil

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Doesn't stress the system anything like repeated WOT and runs to redline on a road course over a 20-35 minute session, especially in a modified car running higher levels of boost.

Neil

I replaced my stock radiator with the CSF upgrade and never looked back and have had lower than stock temps since upgrading. So my personal experience has been better than stock and that's what I wanted. For me it fulfilled it's purpose.

Reactions: MDORPHN

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Did CSF fix the issue with their radiator being too cool in the winter? Have read stories of people having to cover their front grille to get their heat to come on. Seems like such a bad product, either too cold in the winter and not cool enough in the summer.

Really wish there was a better radiator and trans cooler solution for the N5x platform, not just yet another FMIC.
You can’t make a heat exchanger that modifies how much heat exchanges because conditions are different. If you want something along those lines, then you need to look into additional thermostats and auxiliary heat exchangers. In essence, size your main exchanger for winter conditions, then add additional exchangers and thermostats to meet your need for track duty. There will be no one size fits all solution to coolant temps.

MDORPHN

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Ride
BMW 1M
You can’t make a heat exchanger that modifies how much heat exchanges because conditions are different. If you want something along those lines, then you need to look into additional thermostats and auxiliary heat exchangers. In essence, size your main exchanger for winter conditions, then add additional exchangers and thermostats to meet your need for track duty. There will be no one size fits all solution to coolant temps.

In fact, unless you're running a standalone system (like Syvecs) in place of DME, you need to change the coolant programming -- since the DME controls water pump speed and when the thermostat opens and closes.

Neil

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
In fact, unless you're running a standalone system (like Syvecs) in place of DME, you need to change the coolant programming -- since the DME controls water pump speed and when the thermostat opens and closes.

Neil
Well, yes. I assumed this was a given. Good point though for sure.

Reactions: MDORPHN

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i

What other cooling mods do you have? I have the CSF AT radiator as well (actually the first n54 car to install that back in the days), along with PPK radiator, and Dinan oil cooler. The highest coolant temp I have seen is 110C at the track near Chicago during the summer while I still running on stock turbos a while back.

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT

Which engine was this? On the N54 the coolant pump is electronic, so I don't see how heating up in the winter would be an issue.

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
What other cooling mods do you have? I have the CSF AT radiator as well (actually the first n54 car to install that back in the days), along with PPK radiator, and Dinan oil cooler. The highest coolant temp I have seen is 110C at the track near Chicago during the summer while I still running on stock turbos a while back.

When I hit 118C/244F in 37C/100F weather I only had the CSF AT radiator. No PPK radiator. Oil coolers do not influence the coolant much in my experience, but at that time I had a DCT oil cooler and two smaller oil coolers.

I now run an additional radiator, and am hitting 106C in 25C weather, no matter if my oil temp is below 120 or above 130C. I am trying to modify the system this week to see if things improve. More info and discussions here (from page 5 on)

According to some, 110C coolant is still not safe for long term track use.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
As Mike said. But looks like a well put together offering.

Filippo