Customizing Injector/Coilpack/waterpump harness questions - update: It's done now.

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
Hi guys,
Been running the DOCRACE 6266BB kit for little bit now and with the hot summer months coming of course I was expecting to see some heat related issues.
received_683366968776270.jpeg

EDIT: See post #7 for results.

Thanks for your help and advice :)

"Bonus" pic of the car :
IMG_20190623_200704.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190628_121157.jpg
    IMG_20190628_121157.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 1,005
  • IMG_20190628_163003.jpg
    IMG_20190628_163003.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
Well since no one answered.. Just gotta say I went through with it and also deleted that capacitor. No issues so far, will be posting pics tonight.

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
It should be a filter coil or condenser (I think that is what it is called) It filters noise from ignition signal. I would not remove it. The fact that the wiring was not protected from the get go is pretty half assed.

Last edited:

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
It should be a filter coil (Ithink that is what it is called) It filters noise from ignition signal. I would not remove it. The fact that the wiring was not proetected from the get go is pretty half assed.

Should be pretty easy to put it back in. it basically just goes between the power and ground of all the coilpacks.
The car has been fine for a while like that, didn't think it would be an issue. Nothing was half assed during this install, some parts shipped with the docrace kit were replaced by better parts. All wastegate lines were also converted to AN lines. Coolant tank was relocated by using the 335d tank, didn't run another hose from the passenger side to the driver side for the coolant tank - > thermostat or use cheapo brackets to relocate the tank. That's half assed in my eyes.

During the turbo install we also did oil pan gasket, front and rear crank seal, all pullies and belt, new injectors, new coilpacks, new plugs, walnut blast, intake manifold gaskets... everything we could think of.

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
As long as it’s grounded to the block, have you ever seen how the grounds are within the body harness????. Separate grounds are not needed, make more labor, and other unnecessary diagnostics if and when misfires are present, piggybacking them are fine.

Reactions: twinturbos

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
That's exactly what I've done, I 10 gauge wire going to one of the stock location grounds and every one of them goes in the DME box to that big wire. Has been running perfectly fine for around 600miles now. I'll just look into adding that filter coil or whatever it is back. Pics tonight when I go home. This looks much better than that clusterf*ck that is there stock.

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
Definitely does not look better imo, but good job nonetheless. As long as your happy and you don’t have any electrical issues, that’s all that matters. (y)
I mean... if you prefer this mess:
IMG_1745.JPG

I guess we can agree to disagree on the looks. But thanks ! Maybe not everyone will like it but at least the wire harness is now protected and IMO looks much cleaner.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Nice work OP, I think that inarguably looks much better than stock - but hey it's the internet, someone will always argue lol.

I was also unhappy with how the stock wiring looked, especially with my BL harness connected adding more wires to the mess. I just deleted the harness carrier/cover that all the wires run through (which started as a functional mod so I could position my R8 coils however I wanted), tucked the BL harness a bit and currently have the wires all running through some heat-resistant corrugated tubing. Certainly doesnt look as nice as your setup but I prefer it to OE still and its functional, so hey. I do have some high-heat resistant wire shielding I plan on adding whenever I get around to it, though I'm on twins and I'm not a big fan of shiny things under the hood so I havent been in a rush to add it - I just want the added function.

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
Nice work OP, I think that inarguably looks much better than stock - but hey it's the internet, someone will always argue lol.

I was also unhappy with how the stock wiring looked, especially with my BL harness connected adding more wires to the mess. I just deleted the harness carrier/cover that all the wires run through (which started as a functional mod so I could position my R8 coils however I wanted), tucked the BL harness a bit and currently have the wires all running through some heat-resistant corrugated tubing. Certainly doesnt look as nice as your setup but I prefer it to OE still and its functional, so hey. I do have some high-heat resistant wire shielding I plan on adding whenever I get around to it, though I'm on twins and I'm not a big fan of shiny things under the hood so I havent been in a rush to add it - I just want the added function.

Thanks, it certainly did take a while, the wires are all wrapped all the way down to the water pump plug. De-pinning all the connectors was very time consuming. This took me over 10 hours because I wasn't doing it in a hurry and also at the same time I had to figure out the re-wiring. Sounds like you put some effort into yours too.

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
I am currently working on one that will screw in the valve cover where the harness carrier used to be.
Thanks
You could make something like this,I made this,works good.keeps my PR Coils & wiring from melting and cooler then without.this mounts onto the top of valve cover where the harness connects to.dont mind the little holes,these plates were intended for something else.

Attachments

• 20190704_215219.jpg
    20190704_215219.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 20190704_215230.jpg
    20190704_215230.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 62

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
You could make something like this,I made this,works good.keeps my PR Coils & wiring from melting and cooler then without.this mounts onto the top of valve cover where the harness connects to.dont mind the little holes,these plates were intended for something else.

Looks similar to what I'm working on. Plan is to also put reflect a gold tape on it but its ugly so I'll see how that goes.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Looks similar to what I'm working on. Plan is to also put reflect a gold tape on it but its ugly so I'll see how that goes.
The DEI silver tape actually reflects heat better and to higher levels, plus is usually cheaper - why the gold one is the go to choice for so many, I have no idea. I think often it's just for the bling factor but since you have some sense in you, you should go the silver route imo.

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
Thing is I already bought the gold one a while back but I'll try to get it changed I had no idea they even had the silver one. Thanks for the info

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Polished aluminum will reflect even more than the aluminized tape. Big thing going for the tape though is the ceramic fiber back to help with transmission through it.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Definitely does not look better imo, but good job nonetheless. As long as your happy and you don’t have any electrical issues, that’s all that matters. (y)

Personally, of course, I disagree with this and I think most people will actually. Even though the coil harness shielding does look a bit meh, there is an overall net improvement simply by ditching the rats nest of wires intertwining the injectors and the pukey colored wiring insulation.

I'm interested in any information you have to share which may assist in doing this. If someone could come up with their own harness from the ECU box which replaces all the factory rubber tubing for something cleaner looking, I would be interested. The entire harness is a cascade of ugly, all the way to the wiring junction box under the intake manifold.

If someone could give measurements of wire lengths and all that stuff it might motivate me enough to go out and try to make my own even.

• Agree
Reactions: E92 420

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
Personally, of course, I disagree with this and I think most people will actually. Even though the coil harness shielding does look a bit meh, there is an overall net improvement simply by ditching the rats nest of wires intertwining the injectors and the pukey colored wiring insulation.

I'm interested in any information you have to share which may assist in doing this. If someone could come up with their own harness from the ECU box which replaces all the factory rubber tubing for something cleaner looking, I would be interested. The entire harness is a cascade of ugly, all the way to the wiring junction box under the intake manifold.

If someone could give measurements of wire lengths and all that stuff it might motivate me enough to go out and try to make my own even.

What I've done is quite simple. All the coilpacks seem to have a ground, a power and a signal wire. Signal wires I didn't touch. I cut all grounds and power wires and extended the wires to the DME box. The power wire is already in there but goes outside on the harness holder and then splits into 6. For the ground wire I just used a thick gauge wire that goes to the stock ground wire on the valve cover ( the rear one ).

If you have further questions let me know I'd be glad to help.