Dark mode and unread threads

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Tried posting this in an announcement thread but it gave me an error.

I’ve not been viewing the site in dark mode until now. Dark mode is pretty nice, but the demarcation between viewed and unviewed pages is really hard to see. Any chance of increasing the font size along with the text bolding to demarcate an unread post/thread to make it pop more?

Thanks!

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
E70 X5d, E39 528iT, E46 325xi
I was doing dark mode since the conception...novel idea and keeps screen burn down on my Pixel. It wasn't working last night for a bit so I stayed off the site lol

KevinC39

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
335i
I think the unread threads in dark mode used to be blue. Now it's just a slightly more bold font but the same white color as a read thread. I'm not sure what changed but you're right it is difficult to tell them apart.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I think the unread threads in dark mode used to be blue. Now it's just a slightly more bold font but the same white color as a read thread. I'm not sure what changed but you're right it is difficult to tell them apart.

It did used to be blue. We encountered a few different errors, one of them was due to a theme update that caused every forum to be inaccessible. I installed a previous version and while working there are apparently some formatting errors like this. There could be a number of reasons for it however to fix it I went back one more version number and the links appear to be blue again.

I was doing dark mode since the conception...novel idea and keeps screen burn down on my Pixel. It wasn't working last night for a bit so I stayed off the site lol

It should be working now.
Been going back and forth with some things on the homepage, but the ability to change the theme with the homepage enabled should work soon as well. Currently it does not however I have the homepage turned off as there is another bug with it.

Most of these issues relate to the fact that unlike for the previous four years, I actually have a job now and am not on vacation, so most of my working on this site is limited to a single test run on my test site, then I upload it here. That and the fact that 90% of my work occurs between 1AM and 5AM in the morning when my family isn't awake/needing me.

This site is unusually custom (its the only one running this software cocktail) in terms of combination of software modifications. If it works out, this will be one giant multi-platform forum with shared logins everywhere but it will feel like you're still at the same exclusive site. Other boards attempt to do this but its within a single brand or there are multiple issues with their core design that I don't agree with. You can dip into other platforms if you want, but its designed so you can stay within your niche without much or any thought. Trying to accomplish this sort of feat with newish forum software is actually really hard and requires a very specific vision. I've been working on it for literally the last two years and even now, this forum needs to run ALPHA code in order to do what it does right now. Most of it is under the hood where you can't see but just like how this site has been 100% SSL/https since day one, long before Google has essentially mandated it, we've got things in place in advance so later on we are better off.

TLDR> I'm working on it, sorry for the times you come here and its busted, just know that its me in the background trying to add something new to the site. I'm trying to "make forums great again", there is just a shitload of work.

I rely on you guys to tell me about issues, because a lot of times things will look and appear differently to a normal user than it does for me in my administrative permission group. So if you notice anything at all, feel free to send a PM or make a thread. There is already a pretty good one in the Cars, Coffee and Computers section: https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/website-problemos.4390/page-3#post-63304

Last edited: