Datalog Embed

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Okay, I just uploaded the new version, I addressed readability and added some basic server side caching. I had to uninstall the old version so the few logs which were uploaded will need uploaded again. Feel free to try it out and let me know if you find any bugs.

The tooltip got an overhaul in addition to some adjustments between light/dark themes:

I'm still fine tuning the colors and spacing. On light theme, the colors repeat so that is something I'm trying to fix.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Another update is live.

Isolated series are now tracked in the URL parameters. Previously, sharing a specific view did not carry the isolated parameters with it.
The light style should not repeat colors for the different series, the colors are more diverse:

The tooltip opacity has been reduced to 0.75 so you should be able to see the lines behind it a bit better
Bug fixes with the API upload

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
This embedded viewer is legit!

Maybe it's just me but some of these colors in dark mode are fairly close to each other. Is there a way to distinguish them further? Maybe make some that have similar colors dashed lines and have an icon by the parameter name indicating a dashed line?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
The latest javascript wasn't loaded for some reason, now the transparancy change should be live:

This embedded viewer is legit!

Maybe it's just me but some of these colors in dark mode are fairly close to each other. Is there a way to distinguish them further? Maybe make some that have similar colors dashed lines and have an icon by the parameter name indicating a dashed line?
If you can identify the colors and give me an alternative in HTML color codes, I'll change it. These are colors that I threw together, literally in about 1 minute.

Here are the colors, they appear on the chart literally in this order:

Code:
colors: ['#9ab973', '#03c03c', '#f90','#dcd0ff', '#fafad2', '#1fcecb', '#0f0', '#77b5fe', '#e9692c', '#fdbcb4', '#8f00ff', '#b3446c', '#f8de7e', '#8c92ac', '#b39eb5', '#ffb347', '#f49ac2', '#b19cd9', '#cfcfc4', '#ff6961', '#dea5a4', '#cb99c9', '#aec6cf', '#966fd6', '#fdfd96', '#ffd1dc', '#7d7', '#f75394', '#30ba8f', '#ff5349', '#aaf0d1']

You can get them from a site like this:
https://htmlcolorcodes.com/

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
That's the issue I run in to with our software tools at work when trying to view multiple parameters at once. Once you move away from the traditional RGB to shades of reds, blues, greens, etc it becomes difficult to visually distinguish one from the other. The way I get around it is to make some parameters dashed lines and/or I have multiple plot strips. Personally, I prefer multiple plot strips and group parameters that have similar scaling and/or units. That's just what I'm used to though with my tools. Honestly haven't used this or datazap much yet since my cars been down for so long so I'm sure I'd get used to it.

If you want an example of multiple plot strips where I'm viewing a bunch of data at once to get an idea I can send you something.

Here's an example of what I mean by some colors are close to each other from @noorj's datalog.

Can't wait for MHD to implement this!

Reactions: Boorda

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Just went from version Alpha 7 to Alpha 10.
  • New: Allow reacting to graph
  • Fixed: Exception thrown when no graph is available in a category during rebuild (#126)
  • Fixed: Wrong version id for Addon compatility
  • Fixed: Respect admin permissions for datalogger
  • Fixed: If max bb code usage is 0, error message is not shown for showing user is not allowed to post any graph in message
  • Other small changes

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Updated from Alpha 10 to Alpha 13:

• Datalog Type detection (JB4, BPM4, MHD, Cobb, etc)
  • Inclusion of 'Additional information' section that displays extra header information
  • Decimals are now displayed properly
  • Attachment names are displayed instead of Graph #1, etc
  • Several bug fixes and minor improvements

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I may have missed it but any eta or status on being able to compare two logs on the same graph?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I may have missed it but any eta or status on being able to compare two logs on the same graph?
Not on the roadmap currently. It is on the wishlist but I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

The next priority is updating to new board software that is currently in beta. I'm expecting it to be released publicly in another month or so ( updates here will begin after that) and I'll be busy getting everything updated to work nicely. There are a number of changes that will come with that update including a progressive web application.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Just wanted to say that I used this feature yesterday!

MHD 2 'sharing' to spoolstreet and then sending to @WedgePerformance ... worked great and I didn't have to pull out my USB cable along with Android software. :)
I'm glad to hear that has worked for you! That was the idea of it, remove some of the cumbersome aspects.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
I'm glad to hear that has worked for you! That was the idea of it, remove some of the cumbersome aspects.

Agree, it is certainly easier to use.

I would love if:

- In MHD, once authenticated, the key isn't shown every time I submit. It's easy to clear it out.
- MHD could submit more than 1 log at a time.
- If MHD could show the log on spool street (to at least verify it was processed).
- Data toggles were remembered instead of me needing to yank the params for `series` over and over (I tend to use 2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,13,14,15,16,20,21,22).
- If 'reset zoom' was replicated to above the chart as well as at bottom of page; I had trouble zooming out initially :D

Oh the big one

- Browser navigator history (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/History_API) wasn't injected with many many routes that 'go nowhere'. Once you load a datalog, the browser history is jam packed with a bunch of extra endpoints that go nowhere nor change the graphs as you go back/forward. I have to use the breadcrumb nav to get out of these situations...

Shown in this screenshot once I clicked on a single datalog and let it open:
1598566737792.png

Very nice to have. I appreciate the feature!

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Agree, it is certainly easier to use.

I would love if:

- In MHD, once authenticated, the key isn't shown every time I submit. It's easy to clear it out.
- MHD could submit more than 1 log at a time.
- If MHD could show the log on spool street (to at least verify it was processed).
- Data toggles were remembered instead of me needing to yank the params for `series` over and over (I tend to use 2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,13,14,15,16,20,21,22).
- If 'reset zoom' was replicated to above the chart as well as at bottom of page; I had trouble zooming out initially :D

Oh the big one

- Browser navigator history (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/History_API) wasn't injected with many many routes that 'go nowhere'. Once you load a datalog, the browser history is jam packed with a bunch of extra endpoints that go nowhere nor change the graphs as you go back/forward. I have to use the breadcrumb nav to get out of these situations...

Shown in this screenshot once I clicked on a single datalog and let it open:
View attachment 43235

Very nice to have. I appreciate the feature!

Each time you add a series, zoom, isolate a series, etc, this is reflected in the URL. This allows you to share that link and anyone who clicks that link gets the same exact view.

Each addition of those parameters to the URL results in a page change without the reload so when you try to go back, you end up having to click a bunch of times before you actually go back. The solution to this is to stop using the browser back button, use the built in navigation options:

Screenshot_20200827-154010.png

As for remembering your series, presets are already on the list of todo's. Juggling development time and funds, the site only brings in so much.

The rest of that stuff appears to be quality of life tweaks in mhd, but I doubt you'll be seeing any of that stuff at least any time soon. They are still in the minimum viable product stage regarding the API, I've got some stuff I need them to add myself but there's only so much time.

Regarding reset zoom... I kind of see your point here but that's only because you're used to it being on top. You'll just need to get used to it being on bottom :)

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Each time you add a series, zoom, isolate a series, etc, this is reflected in the URL. This allows you to share that link and anyone who clicks that link gets the same exact view.

Each addition of those parameters to the URL results in a page change without the reload so when you try to go back, you end up having to click a bunch of times before you actually go back. The solution to this is to stop using the browser back button, use the built in navigation options:

View attachment 43236

As for remembering your series, presets are already on the list of todo's. Juggling development time and funds, the site only brings in so much.

The rest of that stuff appears to be quality of life tweaks in mhd, but I doubt you'll be seeing any of that stuff at least any time soon. They are still in the minimum viable product stage regarding the API, I've got some stuff I need them to add myself but there's only so much time.

Regarding reset zoom... I kind of see your point here but that's only because you're used to it being on top. You'll just need to get used to it being on bottom :)

I agree that the navigation additions are supposed to represent each change/modification of a presented log, but it seems to be needlessly adding those navigation steps even when I first load a graph (as per my screenshot; I only clicked ONCE to view). I am a weird user in which I like to use my back/forward nav instead of relying on app nav. :)

Understood about time needed. I am a software dev for my day job (web dev on top of that!) and the niceties that customers/users want don't always align with what brings income.

Don't feel like any of the suggestions are requirements... I was just mentioning friction points. 👍

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
There was a time that when navigating to a graph, it was required to recalculate the URL on each load. I can't remember why but it would result in various situations where the url didn't match the view.

I suspect it should be possible to detect a default view and not change the url at all. I do agree on that one. Just real low on the list of things.

I lost a couple of months of development time as I switched to a new developer for my projects. The record book was supposed to be done before July was done and now it's been delayed to end of September. After that I can have some other items looked at.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
There was a time that when navigating to a graph, it was required to recalculate the URL on each load. I can't remember why but it would result in various situations where the url didn't match the view.

I suspect it should be possible to detect a default view and not change the url at all. I do agree on that one. Just real low on the list of things.

I lost a couple of months of development time as I switched to a new developer for my projects. The record book was supposed to be done before July was done and now it's been delayed to end of September. After that I can have some other items looked at.

Very familiar with those kinds of problems. If it isn't using the navigator history API I would suggest switching to that. You can instruct the browser to add an entry to the 'history' or not and have some control over what happens (both detecting a navigation change and adding a history point).

You do a ton for this community and I appreciate that. Sorry to hear about slipping deadlines. If there is an opportunity to aid with development work, reach out!

Reactions: doublespaces