DAW turbos

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I have been chatting with Shawn the owner of DAW via email.

Unfortunately it turns out he will be out of the state from the 26th to the 9th of November when I will be in town.

There is more...but I don't feel I should post it as it was a private conversation.

I can visit the state whenever I want for work in theory. Privileged of being in sales. I don't think there is much to pursue here in meeting with Shawn. Turbos are machined at a shop and it is 'not for the public', balancing is done out of state, there is no place for me to visit other than a 'sister shop' that does the installs. I don't need to go to a garage, I know what they look like. So, there is nothing to see folks which is what was explained to me via email.

Take that for what it is. Again, if there was something I could actually see in regards to these turbos being 'manufactured' or 'assembled' I would take the time to visit but there is not. Shame. I was hoping my visit would add some validity to all the red flags surrounding the DAW product and the 'mysteriously' deleted E90 post and I always like checking out new products. My friend desperately needs turbos and wants to go twins for money reasons which is understandable and I was kind of hoping all the red flags would be explained or alleviated by my visit and I could give him and the community the 'go ahead' and the DAW turbos are no more risky than the others.

I always thought heat was largely a byproduct of product of power production, and generally tied to the amount of air/fuel being burned (that is, efficiency doesn't move around too much from one configuration to the next. That said ... I'd find it interesting if someone can explain why a single would make less heat than twins, given the same power out on the same motor.

My understanding is like this: The twins are spun out of their efficiency islands on the compressor map where they start to blow lots of HOT air. You need the octane that E85 or meth, that gives you the octane needed to get good numbers. Otherwise you are stuck at 500whp like most upgraded twins are at on 93 octane only. There is not enough octane to offset the predetonation because of the mile high AITs created by spinning turbos out of their efficiency islands. Also, when you spin a turbo out of it's efficiency islands you are putting considerable more stress on it. This will lead to an earlier failure than had it been run not at the bleeding edge. This is why pump for pump a single turbo will likely put out higher numbers as most people are putting on 6266s/6466s etc. basically much larger higher flowing lb/min turbos.They are larger turbos flow more lb/min and are flowing cooler air so they can hit higher numbers pump only or with E85/meth. Lb/min is the easiest way to figure out how much power you can make with a said turbo. N54s are at basically 10HP per lb/min. Hence a 6466 flowing 90 lb/min is known as a 900 hp turbo. A 6266 75 lbs/min usually make 700-800whp on an n54.

Here's the thing. No one correctly sizes a single turbo to match twins. One would argue why would you want to when it costs only a tiny bit more for significantly more lb/min? You would be putting on a fairly small single turbo to match DAWs or anyone else's twins. I'm talking PTE 5858 or GTX3076R or smaller to match n54 twins with larger wheels. Something in the 50-60lb/min rating for turbos.

A TD04HL-15T flows 33 lb/min That is a TRUE TD04 not what DAW sells. So let's say 35 with the larger stage 4 wheels(total guesstimate)? 35 lb/min for a total of 70 lb/min. Almost what a 6266 put out at 75 lb/min. We know a 6266 is good for up to 800whp on the N54. No twins are hitting 800whp except VTTs one off max dyno run. No DAW stage 4s are going to reliably hit 750-800whp. I would guess most of the DAW line up really flow closer to 30 lb/min which would be 600whp. Maybe a bit more with the larger wheels or a bit less with smaller but not a huge difference either way.

Stock N54 turbos flow around 22 lb/min iirc 44 lb/min
turbo-outputranges01-2010.gif

Twins combined give you say 60 lbs/min vs 75 or 90 lb/min single turbo the smaller two 30s are going to start blowing hot air earlier as they are pushed harder and out of their efficiency islands and thus have limited headroom because of the Lb/min rating vs a larger turbo.

You could always stick a HUGE turbo on an N54 like a PT7675 1200 HP turbo. The N54 has medium displacement and limited rev rangeto 7k basically. N upgraded blocks are in the 9-12k rev range which allows you to run a bigger turbo on less displacement, see the EVO guys and their dynos on 6266s. You would end up with a very tiny powerband on the PT7675 93 octane but you could hit a very high peak number. Not very useful.

At the end of the day you are using exhaust gases to spin up the mass of the turbine. The bigger the wheel, the bigger the mass, the more lag until the turbo has spool'd

Please anyone feel free to correct any of this if it is incorrect.

Last edited:

Eyelobes

Corporal
Apr 23, 2019
Ride
2007 e90 335i
If only there were people posting that DAW and it's resellers were shady... It's too bad nobody did.

Don't understand why you are still at this. Turbos are bought, I haven't seen anyone burned yet. Now as more get installed we will see. Sure there are still more questions than answers at this point, and maybe they are duping people into buying them. If they start failing left and right, which they will be soon enough as more people get them, then DAW will be driven out of town. OR, if they actually do stuff themselves then they could be every bit as good as PURE600s. Time will tell.

This is what this thread is for: Boost, WGDC, power levels, longevity.

So please stop fearmongering and let these play out. Snarky comments and "I told you so" don't really help anyone here. Especially since it is, at this point, unfounded in any concrete evidence that DAW has screwed people out of something.

If you would like to purchase some stage 2+ to crack them open, go ahead. And if you find nefarious things inside you may then lord over us all if that will make you happy.

One thing I will hold Shawn to, is that he claims I will be able to make 500whp on 18-19psi on 93. So for $1400 I think going from my mustang dyno'd 360/420tq with FBO, inlets, walbro 255, to 500whp/tq, I would be extremely happy

Reactions: D14

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
This is what this thread is for: Boost, WGDC, power levels, longevity.

@RuskiRacer made this thread and never stipulated what it was for, just a review of his DAW turbos.

You should ask @doublespaces to set a thread for you like the 700/800/900 whp records. Where each post is just factual. No conjecture. Assuming that is what you want. Be nice for all twin vendors to have an easily searchable thread with real life results all in 1 place.

What country is the balancing sheet from? Bottom right hand corner, not a stateside company?

What is up with the fake balancing sheets on the stage 1 & 2s?

Reactions: RuskiRacer

Eyelobes

Corporal
Apr 23, 2019
Ride
2007 e90 335i
@RuskiRacer made this thread and never stipulated what it was for, just a review of his DAW turbos.

You should ask @doublespaces to set a thread for you like the 700/800/900 whp records. Where each post is just factual. No conjecture. Assuming that is what you want. Be nice for all twin vendors to have an easily searchable thread with real life results all in 1 place.

What country is the balancing sheet from? Bottom right hand corner, not a stateside company?

What is up with the fake balancing sheets on the stage 1 & 2s?

Looks like just the manufacturer contact information for the balancing machine, apparently the same deal with turbo Technics

Eyelobes

Corporal
Apr 23, 2019
Ride
2007 e90 335i
So the closest place that does balancing is tri-state turbochargers in Atlanta. However, they only balance to 1.5g at 100krpm for $400

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
My hydras were balanced to 160k I think at .5g i have to check sheet I'll post it. Anyway I always thought single stayed cooler for few reasons. One is if only oil cooled it's not dumping heat into the cooling system then you have what torgus said about more efficient so lower charge temp and tou also have better pressure ratios which allow the exhaust to flow better and get the heat out faster for given amount of power which equates to more hp at same psi or same hp at less psi. In sure one rotating mass and less total surface area for same or larger volume has a trivial effect as well.
Anyway for 2g range I think big three is way to go if getting into the upper 2 or 3 range I cant say enough good about hydra and I'm a whiny pia customer. Above that single all the way. I went twins cause I want as much response as possible.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Well certainly they would not be completely unbalanced?

Filippo

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
So what's the company that's doing the balancing? Since those are not super common.

Filippo

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Twins combined give you say 60 lbs/min vs 75 or 90 lb/min single turbo the smaller two 30s are going to start blowing hot air earlier as they are pushed harder and out of their efficiency islands and thus have limited headroom because of the Lb/min rating vs a larger turbo.

You could always stick a HUGE turbo on an N54 like a PT7675 1200 HP turbo. The N54 has medium displacement and limited rev rangeto 7k basically. N upgraded blocks are in the 9-12k rev range which allows you to run a bigger turbo on less displacement, see the EVO guys and their dynos on 6266s. You would end up with a very tiny powerband on the PT7675 93 octane but you could hit a very high peak number. Not very useful.

At the end of the day you are using exhaust gases to spin up the mass of the turbine. The bigger the wheel, the bigger the mass, the more lag until the turbo has spool'd

Please anyone feel free to correct any of this if it is incorrect.

Another thing to consider is the turbine side. All of the hybrids using stock manifold or chinafolds are using the stock sized turbine housing, or smaller possibly! This results in a mismatch of the compressor housing/wheel to the turbine wheel in a small turbine housing and a/r.

I think Rob has found the sweet spot, and I hope we start seeing more of his GF turbos in the wild. The first customer dyno was fantastic at 580whp on 93 octane with 5 or 6* of timing at 25psi which I don't consider to be outside the realm of acceptable norms.

The key is the reduced backpressure - the stock boysens and turbine housing have high backpressure, so even if the turbo could flow 40lb/min, the high backpressure keeps it from getting there. Big singles with a large tubular manifold, or even a cast log along with a large turbo with much bigger A/R has less backpressure and can thus achieve the higher power. I recently saw a horsepower dyno comparison of the same turbo with different a/r turbines and how the backpressure was much higher on the small one and limited overall power.

I do have to say I don't like Precision since they only rate their turbos in lb/min ratings or HP ratings. To me, that means they have never created a compressor map at all, and it's understandable due to the cost. However, rating a 6266 at 75lb/min just gives an idea of what is possible, but not what pressure ratio it would be at.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Wouldn't tell me, just partner site in the UK
I'm confused. They are supposedly balanced, but there is no sheet, and the balancer is a secret place in the UK? I'm sorry, this and the impeachment inquiry are starting to get mixed up in my head.

Here are the sheets that came with my Hydra HP650s. They are not made up lol.

IMG_20191024_120421.jpg IMG_20191024_120436.jpg

Filippo

Reactions: SlimE92 and Torgus

Eyelobes

Corporal
Apr 23, 2019
Ride
2007 e90 335i
Oh so that's interesting, Turbo Technics told me they white label their machines and the company should have labelling on there somewhere, so I don't know wtf anymore.

Per their email:

"All our machines we have sold worldwide since 2005 prompt you to put in your details of your company on the sheet – IE not say turbo technics."

And don't get me started on that bs impeachment crap.

Eyelobes

Corporal
Apr 23, 2019
Ride
2007 e90 335i
Not saying yours aren't, I know they are, but I also can't say definitively that mine aren't, using that logic

• Agree
Reactions: fmorelli

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Well as of August 29, 2018 when these turbos were balanced there, they were not white label. Maybe it changed since.

Filippo