DCT slipping on base tune after single install

Tomball335is

Lurker
Oct 10, 2019
Ride
2012 e93 335is DCT
So I need some help. Installed my speedtech 6266 this past weekend on my 335is. Am currently on the base map with my boost controller unplugged (new one on the way, last one was faulty), so I’m running on WG pressure which is 14.5psi, and the DCT trans is slipping. I checked with my tuner, who is well known for tuning DCT cars, and one of the larger tuners for the platform, and the torque tables are all the way up. I don’t understand why I’m slipping at 14psi. The trans only has 37k miles on it, and has not been beat on hard. Ran 100% when I was MHD stage 1+, never once experienced slippage, and I’m no more powerful now than I was then. Operating temp of the trans is around 180-200. I’ve tried resetting load adaptations. Tuner sent me a revised tune upping the load tables a bit, but I’m still getting some slippage when at low rpm, and slowly getting into boost.
Any ideas?

• Funny
Reactions: Slow335is

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Theres something very wrong if your DCT is slipping at that power level. If nothing else has changed its not likely the oil I don't think. Id say its tune related. You're not running a JB4 or something ?

Reactions: Tomball335is

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
More important was their a jb4 on car previously? Use protools or testo to log transmission torque values and shaft speeds etc . That should give more info

Reactions: doublespaces

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I wouldn’t. It doesn’t sound like it suffered much abuse. using it in stop start traffic for years like I do and I still haven’t changed the oil, I’ve done about 120k kms and still no signs of slippage. Admittedly the car is only mildly tuned and has been tuned by BQTuning who’s is known for his work specifically on N54 DCTs
Also goes to show that not all tuners know how to deal with these.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
few hundred dollars for oil and filter or few thousand dollars for new clutches, prevention is cheaper than cure.

Up to the owner in the end pick your poison.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
few hundred dollars for oil and filter or few thousand dollars for new clutches, prevention is cheaper than cure.

Up to the owner in the end pick your poison.
It’s not an either/ or proposition.These are wet clutches and aren’t like an auto in material or construction. I’m not an expert but I’ve been told by a few that are that this is unnecessary.
Also when you get your new clutches make sure that you follow the installation instructions and do the kiss point relearn at the appropriate time. SSP should tell you exactly what you need to know 😉

Reactions: Tomball335is

Tomball335is

Lurker
Oct 10, 2019
Ride
2012 e93 335is DCT
I plan on having a certified installer put them in. There's one in the Houston area, which is where I live. They offer a one year warranty on parts and labor.
I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I feel like installing DCT clutch packs may be a little out of my league.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I plan on having a certified installer put them in. There's one in the Houston area, which is where I live. They offer a one year warranty on parts and labor.
I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I feel like installing DCT clutch packs may be a little out of my league.
That’s a no brainer then.
Just FYI for those that want to know what’s involved https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/dodson-sportsman-plus-dct-clutchbasket-install.5440/

Also would love to hear how the box holds up once you’re all set up
1/4, 1/2 mile, weaponised street car ?

Tomball335is

Lurker
Oct 10, 2019
Ride
2012 e93 335is DCT
That’s a no brainer then.
Just FYI for those that want to know what’s involved https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/dodson-sportsman-plus-dct-clutchbasket-install.5440/

Also would love to hear how the box holds up once you’re all set up
1/4, 1/2 mile, weaponised street car ?
Wow, that’s way easier than I expected. Thanks for the link!

it’s an e93, so I’m not trying to break any records. Just want a real fun street car that can handle the power reliably.