Technical Apr 2020 update: Maintaining a 600awhp 335xi Pure Stage 2 - Long term- CAR FOR SALE NOW!!

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Who did you message for the custom xhp tune I emailed them and they said don't do custom tunes unless all the new options makeit pointless maybe?

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
Well DHL can suck on my salty chocolate balls.... I dont want to change the delivery to not require a signature, the package is too valuable, their pickup location is only open from 9am to 6pm M-F, work is 40 minutes away, you can request a delivery window but they dont guarantee it... So I said "only deliver after 7pm" They said they made the note and will try.

Basically I cant get to their pickup location when its open thanks to work and it being so far away without taking time off. They will only try delivery 3 times then either destroy the package or send it back to sender (all the way to Australia). Thankfully I can take a half day without any issues and go run down to pick it up at 9am, but I shouldn't have to do that. The bastards should have a pickup location that is open at 7am and closes at 8pm, so normal people can get to it without having to leave a 1600 dollar package on their front step with no one home.

Never ship DHL signature required.... ugh.

Anyways, I should have the clutch here shortly, likely will install this weekend or the weekend of september 1st.

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
Well DHL pulled a fast one on me, they had my neighbor sign for it and then he left it on his front porch for hours until I got home.... dammit DHL, had it been stolen off his porch, YOU, would have owed me 1600 bucks.

Anyways, I'm VERY impressed with the clutch. It came with the pilot shaft already in the flywheel, came with grease and some green loctite. The TOB looks great. Came with new flywheel bolts and a new pilot bearing. Instructions are clear, proper torques and tightening orders listed... awesome. So far this is one quality part, way better than SPEC who couldnt even give me a pressure plate bolt tightening torque and came with zero instructions. They even include CLEAR instructions on which way the TOB should go (high vs low position, with pictures!).

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
Wow... the new clutch is pretty awesome. Pedal pressure might even be lighter than stock. Pretty grippy (though its only got 20 miles on it), if you're not paying attention its easy to stall it, but I'm sure I'll get more used to it. It only sneaks up on you when you're not paying attention.

No chatter at idle (960 rpm) even with the AC on.

Reactions: Jeffman

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
They operate during business hours. So do you. Ship to where you are. Problem solved.

Filippo

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
I'm not allowed, the last time I did that shipping and receiving got mad at me and told me not to do it again.

Not such a simple problem solved.

zmon1300

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Chicagoland
Ride
'10 335xi
E2D9C029-80E2-4230-98A9-92E758A1252A.jpeg
57D92F7F-A313-4818-B1A2-84E2FCAFF29B.jpeg
77ADBC6F-9A9F-4A51-B9B8-B92A2CAEEB59.jpeg
C89A7431-8206-4D79-942A-3FF3E76E90A3.jpeg
85D7E5FA-A4E5-499E-9E1B-F6866B203A97.jpeg
DB170EFD-6ABA-4AAA-AACC-481AC87A20F0.jpeg
4CE29A95-87E3-4727-B126-DE404325CBBA.jpeg
Who did you message for the custom xhp tune I emailed them and they said don't do custom tunes unless all the new options makeit pointless maybe?

I emailed them directly. Due note, this was a year or so ago when xHP had just launched into the N54 market.

Update:

I haven’t been to a car meet the entire summer. Was really itching to get out there and see some nice cars. Well, I cleaned up the car and headed to a local meet. When I got there, it reminded me of why I stopped going LOL. Bunch of kids with slammed GTI’s and Civic’s. ‍♂️♂️ I dragged @Dave@Fuel-It! Along with me since I didn’t want to get stuck alone if the meet was crap, which it was LOL. We saw a RHD RX7 though, that was all gutted and ready for auto cross which was pretty cool. Too bad it only made 395whp per the owner. I was hoping he would say 4-5-600 LOL. Anyways here’s a punch of pictures I took of the car with my DSLR while I was there. Oh and later that night, I bent my rim again ‍♂️ Getting off an exit from the highway and the roads were being paved and the bump between the lanes bent my ARC8. FML. Always something with this car. Had to order another wheel from APEX. They have an awesome replacement program if you are the original owner of the wheels with a proof of purchase. They give it to you for 50% off! Huge help!
Been dealing with Rail pressure dropping, and I’ve made up my mind on replacing the PI injectors. Going to order the BMP ones to replace the knock off bosche ones that MMP provided with the Gen 1 PI. Other than that, car runs great, did an oil change everything’s been pretty smooth this year.

Thanks,
Z

Reactions: doublespaces

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Apex deal is good but I wonder if it is because they know their wheels are weak...a wheel can only be so strong given the weight and the way it is formed. My buddy just had to do the same thing with his 18" rim.

FWIW my BBS CHRs weight significantly more but I have yet to bend them an it is a 19" rim on a lower profile tire.

Less weight means less cost to manufacture.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Less weight also gives rise to better acceleration, better braking, and lower unsprung weight / better handling. I’ve had my ARC-8’s for eight years / 50,000 miles here in the pot-holed Northeast and they’re still in great shape. Definitely a fantastic set of wheels for half the price of the BBS CHRs.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Less weight also gives rise to better acceleration, better braking, and lower unsprung weight / better handling.

All of those are technically true but on the street I would argue it is hard to notice the difference in a wheel that weighs 4-5 more lbs. I could be wrong. Either way, it's not going to make any worthwhile measurable difference on the street. I would prefer a slightly heavier wheel that is less likely to bend then a lighter one.

I’ve had my ARC-8’s for eight years / 50,000 miles here in the pot-holed Northeast and they’re still in great shape. Definitely a fantastic set of wheels for half the price of the BBS CHRs.

Than you are luckier than my friends in MA ;).

I'm all for light weight rims, don't get me wrong, and my BBS CHRs are not exactly light.

Again, there ends up being a compromise in strength for less weight given how they are formed. Just the facts. Can't have the best of all worlds unless you want to pay out the nose for rims.

Last edited:

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
If youre up north you're not too far from me, down in Springfield. Ill probably sell my arc 8s matte bronze if you wanna pick em up. Do you plan on any Peoria cars and coffee in the future?

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I have winter tires mounted on my OEM wheels, each of which are about 8 lbs heavier than my Apex wheels. There’s quite a noticeable difference between the two just driving on the street. Acceleration and braking are much quicker with the Apex wheels. The car “coasts” longer with the heavier OEM wheels due to their larger rotational mass.

zmon1300

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Chicagoland
Ride
'10 335xi
If youre up north you're not too far from me, down in Springfield. Ill probably sell my arc 8s matte bronze if you wanna pick em up. Do you plan on any Peoria cars and coffee in the future?

Peoria is a good 2-3 drive from me. I don't think that would be feasible. Appreciate the hand tho! You should come up to the Iron Gate Naperville Cars and Chrome events. Bunch of crazy cars; 918, Lambo's, BMWs etc. I try to make it out there mostly, and the occasional Strats or Cozy Corners meetups in the night time for some Mexico trips ;)

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i

They don't do them anymore because the amount of money they make is not worth the effort involved. That is the purpose of some of the newer options. I had a custom tune as well, but I chose to switch to the new options anyway.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Peoria is a good 2-3 drive from me. I don't think that would be feasible. Appreciate the hand tho! You should come up to the Iron Gate Naperville Cars and Chrome events. Bunch of crazy cars; 918, Lambo's, BMWs etc. I try to make it out there mostly, and the occasional Strats or Cozy Corners meetups in the night time for some Mexico trips ;)

Maybe! Got a date of when that event(s) is/are?

zmon1300

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Chicagoland
Ride
'10 335xi
Thanksgiving update 2018:

Hey everyone! Hope your Thanksgiving holidays went well. Let's dive into whats been going on with ol silver surfer. So I started hearing noises from the belt and a did not really want to take a chance so I ordered all new pulley's and tensioners and a new belt. Relocation inlets made this job a breeze! Only took me about half an hour to get everything on and torqued properly. Onto the next project: cooling.

I picked up a OFH with the thermostat a while ago and have been gathering parts to do a oil cooler setup. The following items are what I needed to complete this job.

Oil thermostat delete plate w/ fittings
Improved Racing oil T-stat 215F
various 90/45 degree AN fittings
braided lines of your choice
and a cooler

I really did not want to mount this cooler behind my kidney grills because I've had road debris fly in there and slice my AC condenser. Therefore, fog lights have to go and so do the headlight washers. I hated those washers anyways. Well once again, since I have relocation inlets, it really created a lot of space to mount the thermostat and lines wherever I really wanted. I welded a few brackets together to get it to sit near the fog lights as much as possible without it being too close to the ground since I am lowered on KW v3s. I will be raising the car up soon too. I also got the @PRECISION RACEWORKS @BlackMarketParts Port injection to replace my MMP gen 1. The mmp port injection just did not cut it for me. Multiple injector issues, the PI gaskets were of cheap quality, just an overall headache to save $150 bucks. What a nightmare. I jumped on the black friday deal for the BMP PI and could not be more excited to install it and hope to fix those underlying issues. Thank you once again Robert for saving my ass LOL. I will be selling the mmp gen 1 PI once it comes off the car so DM me if you are interested. Well, if you made it thus far reading, thank you for your time and hopefully this thread can help you on your build someday.
IMG_2251.JPG
IMG_2249.JPG
IMG_2248.JPG
IMG_2322.JPG
IMG_2321.JPG
IMG_2320.JPG
IMG_4132.JPG
IMG_2299.jpg

Future plans:
Mock up and install trans cooler setup
Install sway bars
Order front endlinks
Rebuild trans with zipkit and install.

Tell me what you guys think? I threw in a picture of our family Thanksgiving table as well ;)

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Nice get together!

So your car is one of the early ones without an oil cooler? My first 335i was like that also. What brand tstat delete is it?

zmon1300

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Chicagoland
Ride
'10 335xi
My 335xi is a 2010 but It did not have the sport package on it, so it did not come with the cooler, paddle shifters or sport seats. I retrofitted the sport seats thus far and working on the coolers. Im looking for a sport steering wheel thats heated and has paddles which is very hard to find. Tstat delete plate is from PSP

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
My 335xi is a 2010 but It did not have the sport package on it, so it did not come with the cooler, paddle shifters or sport seats. I retrofitted the sport seats thus far and working on the coolers. Im looking for a sport steering wheel thats heated and has paddles which is very hard to find. Tstat delete plate is from PSP

I actually sold a steering wheel just like that last year. Was hard to get rid of it actually:
https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/stock-parts-and-spare-parts.2082/post-24172

The worst part is the airbag is different between the base and sport wheels.