Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Ive been recently introduced to the Zero to 60 channel and im loving the build.
was really impressed with the Gecko coilovers they used and fitted, and keen to see the review on the brakes.

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
I am following the build as well, and I like it but he is nuts saying his unaligned E92 with Gecko coilovers feels like his friends M2, lol. BUt I guess when blown shocks or BC's are your point of reference it makes sense.

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Yea i was surprised that he never went for alignment.
I know that the car will absolutely feel miles better than the blown units he had, but surely his car should be pulling either left or right by default. he also didnt remove the control arms on the front, just the stabiliser link, so not sure how much impact that would of had. so maybe he recons he can get away with it.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
You read that correct, the name of the Chinese brake co is Dickass, or DIC ASE. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/gr...=n&SortType=bestmatch_sort&g=y&SearchText=BMW

Looks like our Aussie friends from an excellent YouTube channel Zero to 60 are going to be running these and @langsbr has a set on his car.

Seems like a decent alternative to the big name brands. Would like to know what the community thinks about these kits?

What does a full front and rear kit cost with everything, lines, pads, calipers, 2 piece rotors, etc? I can't figure it out from the site? I can find a front set for basically a grand and then it's another $500 for shipping? What's a full kit cost F&R? My guess is after shipping, tariff(if applicable), taxes, etc. It is going to be within $500 of a used 'real' BBK from StopTech, Brembro, etc.

My main issue with any 'brake upgrade' is once you go and mess with the pistons, the number of them, their sizes, your master cylinder etc. you throw everything off unless it was sized for your chassis correctly. Brake bias and ABS will not function 100% like it is supposed to. Unless you have a stand alone ABS controller to dial it in: http://info.3dmmotorsport.com/mk60-motorsport-abs-standalone-guide. My guess is DICKASS uses the exact same calipers for every vehicle. Just provides different mounting brackets and SS lines.

https://www.brakes-shop.com/brakepedia/bbk/abs-and-brake-kit-fundamentals <-- A good read, a bit technical

"at STOPTECH all brake upgrade kits are designed with the characteristics of the original braking system taken into account to minimize these differences. This is the reason that when you order a STOPTECH big rotor upgrade kit the new caliper bores may actually be smaller than the units you are replacing to "balance the equation." This is just one way in which our engineers attempt to retain the original system's P-T and P-V integrity. Sure, it's not one-size-fits-all, but neither is your car…or your driving style. Why should you expect any less from your brake upgrade?"

You can buy a correctly designed BBK used for $2500-3k for the e9X that will be brand name StopTech, Brembo, etc. not DICK ASS. Normally they are 6k new.

Also, who wants to put their life in the hands of a DICKASS ;) When you die they can write on your tombstone: Died from DICK ASS. Then I come along and carve a 2 in between the words.

Would you ride on DICKASS tires? I just can't imagine putting my life or my friends and family in the hands of such a dumb fucking company name.

EDIT: For the few people who actually need a BBK I am sure they will pass. You can get pretty aggressive with the stock calipers, an aggressive pad, and fresh fluid. My guess is their market is for people who want the look of a BBK but can't afford 6k to buy one and for whatever reason don't want a used kit. 99% of the people do not need a BBK.

Last edited:

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
What does a full front and rear kit cost with everything, lines, pads, calipers, 2 piece rotors, etc? My guess is after shipping, tariff(if applicable), taxes, etc. It is going to be within $500 of a used 'real' BBK from StopTech, Brembro, etc.

My main issue with any 'brake upgrade' is once you go and mess with the pistons, the number of them, their sizes, your master cylinder etc. you throw everything off unless it was sized for your chassis correctly. Brake bias and ABS will not function 100% like it is supposed to. Unless you have a stand alone ABS controller to dial it in: http://info.3dmmotorsport.com/mk60-motorsport-abs-standalone-guide

https://www.brakes-shop.com/brakepedia/bbk/abs-and-brake-kit-fundamentals <-- A good read, a bit technical

"at STOPTECH all brake upgrade kits are designed with the characteristics of the original braking system taken into account to minimize these differences. This is the reason that when you order a STOPTECH big rotor upgrade kit the new caliper bores may actually be smaller than the units you are replacing to "balance the equation." This is just one way in which our engineers attempt to retain the original system's P-T and P-V integrity. Sure, it's not one-size-fits-all, but neither is your car…or your driving style. Why should you expect any less from your brake upgrade?"

You can buy a correctly designed BBK used for $2500-3k on the e9X that will be brand name StopTech, Brembo, etc. not DICK ASS. Normally they are 6k.

Also, who wants to put their life in the hands of a DICKASS ;) When you die they can write on your tombstone: Died from DICK ASS. Then I come along and carve a 2 in between the words.

Would you ride on DICKASS tires? I just can't imagine putting my life or my friends and family in the hands of such a dumb fucking company name.
At first I was going to debate you for the sake of debating but I am starting to think most BBK's are not very good after reading the artical you linked.
In fact I was going to suggest the stoptech portion you pasted in was just marketing but now I have my doubts and think it might be viable.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
I got this quote fro a front and rear kit, just a lot of cash to risk if it doesn't fit, :lol: It's an AP knock off, uses AP Racing pads, etc.
1595948535405.png

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
At first I was going to debate you for the sake of debating but I am starting to think most BBK's are not very good after reading the artical you linked.
In fact I was going to suggest the stoptech portion you pasted in was just marketing but now I have my doubts and think it might be viable.

If you read some StopTech whitepapers their engineers have published online you realize they know a fuck ton about brakes in general. It's really impressive.

"The "secret" to brake system compatibility is that there is no secret - it just requires fundamental engineering expertise and design know-how.

As mentioned earlier, far too many of the big brake upgrade kits on the market today pay no attention to the P-T or P-V characteristics that the car originally possessed. In fact, there are kits available today which have P-T characteristics which more than double the output (P==>2T) of the stock systems they replace - "200% More Stopping Power" must be better than stock, right?

In most cases, these vendors procure large quantities of big rotors and red calipers, fabricate an adapter bracket to mount them to a variety of different suspensions, and market the kit as a 'one-size-fits-all' without first determining if the system will be compatible with the remaining foundation braking system, let alone the electronic chassis controls. Sure, it's quick, cost-effective, and looks like a million bucks through your 18" wheels, but what about ultimate performance?"

I got this quote fro a front and rear kit, just a lot of cash to risk if it doesn't fit, :lol: It's an AP knock off, uses AP Racing pads, etc.
View attachment 41428

I believe those are knock off StopTechs. ST60 and ST40s are what I have on my car ;)

Ok so 2k, I am going to assume it comes with everything you need. No taxes on that yet, or tariff fees if applicable. Even if they are included in that shipping cost you are now within $500 or less of a used real BBK. Not a knock off. Again, I just don't see the value...the risk reward is just too damn high for me.

The rears for $600. So $300 a side I imagine the break out(pun intended) is something like this:
Caliper $150
Rotor $50
Pads $50
SS lines $25
Brackets $25
Total $300

That is retail. They must be making a 30% profit margin to stay in business, maybe more. So take at least 30% off and that is the real cost of the parts assuming their are the OEM and not reselling from someone else! I don't trust shit that cheap. This is back of the hand math but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: seb.apprenti

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
What does a full front and rear kit cost with everything, lines, pads, calipers, 2 piece rotors, etc?

My main issue with any 'brake upgrade' is once you go and mess with the pistons, the number of them, their sizes, your master cylinder etc. you throw everything off unless it was sized for your chassis correctly. Brake bias and ABS will not function 100% like it is supposed to. Unless you have a stand alone ABS controller to dial it in: http://info.3dmmotorsport.com/mk60-motorsport-abs-standalone-guide

You can buy a correctly designed BBK used for $2500-3k on the e9X that will be brand name StopTech, Brembo, etc. not DICK ASS. Normally they are 6k.

Also, who wants to put their life in the hands of a DICKASS ;) When you die they can write on your tombstone: Died from DICK ASS.

Would you ride on DICKASS tires? I just can't imagine putting my life in the hands of such a dumb fucking name.

I totally understand the concern here - both with messing with brake bias and with using a brand name like 'dickass.' My justifications may be different than others, but that's what makes modifying cars so much fun. I would never run a single turbo because it destroys the whole concept of the twin turbo inline 6. Different strokes for different folks, right?

Anywho, with regards to brake bias "problems" - is it real? Sure. Is it overblown? I believe so.

Now, if I were using rando designed brake kit, sure I could see a massive issue. Since these are pretty much a copy of AP Racing (they offer calipers based off of the Brembo as well), it should have similar bias characteristics. AP Racing claims there is little to no bias change when using their kits, front only or both, so I took that as enough assurance that bias wouldn't be an issue. Plus, I guarantee you the only people that think about brake bias on a regular basis are tracking their car competitively and then they also take into consideration the pad - because pad differences front to back can change bias. If you have swapped your front pads only to a different type, you have affected bias. I even considered running sintered metal pads for the rear, but was afraid it would bias the rear too much. I don't track the car, this was as much a "bling" mod as it was maintenance.

Pricing - this is where things get interesting. Right now, I think a front kit is around $1,500 shipped, but I think if you emailed them directly it would be cheaper. I bought mine 3 years ago ish before they were even on Aliexpress and the Grand Tour had never heard of dickass. I hate even saying what I paid for them because instantly people thing they must be made of aluminum foil and dirt.

I received:
2 x 9040 APRacing "pad compatible" calipers
2 x front pads
2 x 355mm 2 piece aluminum hat rotors
2 x stainless steel brake lines

Nice pretty "APRacing" style box for each caliper and rotor
Box that said "goodman" on the lines

Price before shipping: $558
Shipping via DHL: $265
Paypal fee: $42
Total: $865

Overall, I am very pleased. The only issue I would say is that the paint on them isn't the greatest and has some chipping after 3 years, but really, who cars. I've not had any leaks or issues and I have STRESS TESTED these. My car isn't the fastest thing in the world, but its ok - traps ~ 128 - 130. I've done a multitude of drag strip passes and slowing quick, lots of hard slows from 130+ (back roads in Mexico of course).

I was just as apprehensive as everyone else would be regarding using a brake kit a. that cheap, and b. from China. But guess what - all your pads and rotor replacements are from China and no one cares. Ok, ok, if you say you use Zimmerman rotors made in Germany, just leave because the thread is about DICKASS brakes, not where can I overpay for some rotors. Even Textar is made in China now.

Performance:

No, I did not and will not do any "stopping distance" comparisons because that is an invalid metric to measure a BBK. All that measures is your tires. These are more for brake fade resistance and I've not had any issues with fade or warping since purchased. I'm still on the stock pads that came with them so I'll do a follow up once I check the pad condition. I'll get some pics of them currently as well, but here are a few I have from when I installed them.

IMG_20170427_110749278.jpg

IMG_20170427_184833024.jpg

IMG_20170427_215437431.jpg

Today

briancar.jpg

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
It comes down to budget unless I see anyone posting that these, "we'll call them knock off BBK's", have failed then I don't see why not try them.

If I have Bill Gates money, I would go for the best of the best, but if I am some collage kid trying to get into racing, then these might be a good solution.
Keeping in mind you might wear out some other items if they are not well engineered. My guess is they are reverse engineered.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
There is a thread on one of the other forums where a guy bought the brembo style ones and hasn't had an issue with them.

A friend of mine bought the same kit I have but got the rears too and has no issues.

Anyone with prodigywerks has the same stuff too.

It used to be said that 50% of something's choose was branding/advertising. I think that is even higher now with the wage discrepancies between the US and China. Granted China isn't even the cheapest market any more, but with people wanting a 15/hr minimum wage, unskilled labor is bound to be offshored.

Reactions: Torgus and NoGuru

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90

Are you running 19s? I don't think the 380mm kit will fit under 18s.

You may also ask them which caliper that kit has. Should be the CP9040 for 6 piston front. I don't remember the rear model number.

My friend said the rear was a bit more of a pain and wasn't a fully bolt on affair, but the fronts were plug and play.

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
Are you running 19s? I don't think the 380mm kit will fit under 18s.

You may also ask them which caliper that kit has. Should be the CP9040 for 6 piston front. I don't remember the rear model number.

My friend said the rear was a bit more of a pain and wasn't a fully bolt on affair, but the fronts were plug and play.

Yes, I run 19x8.5 Front and 19x9.5 Rear. That is good to hear, I am okay with it if there is not too much fabrication needed.

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
I said this on the other forum. If Brembo or in this case AP Racing started making their calipers in China then they 100% deserve to get knocked off. Imagine paying $6k for brakes made in China

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
My understanding is that brembo owns ap racing and that brembo does manufacture in China. I believe stoptech is fully US based.