Discussion about issues encountered whilst converting to M3 Flash and GWS

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
@Stokes @aus335iguy https://datazap.me/u/veloman62/ina0sbqe60dctbeta15-m3-drivetrain281-fd?log=0&data=3-19
Three pulls, WOT logging pulls. First two are full 2nd-5th gear pulls, last is 2nd-6th. I would have never been able to log from 2nd before due to wheelspin but with these PS4's and the LSD it just dead hooks. It brought a tear to my eye. I reset all the adaptions with INPA so it's still learning back in but things are looking pretty damn good so far. And please ignore my boost leak.

And as a side note, I was able to play with LC. It settles at 3500 rpm and I'm able to adjust +/- 500 rpm with my stock SZL. Anything higher or lower and it just drops back to idle.

@dyezak I seriously owe you a lot of fucking beer for taking the initiative and getting this done. RLTW sir.

Last edited:
Reactions: aus335iguy

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
I fixed my DSC error CC-ID 354 (start assist). I ended up disabling start assist completely via:

Code:
C0F_AFH_HSA
wert_00

C0F_HSA
wert_00
wert_10

Car is fully functional now! :smilingimp:
Guys, the entirety of this thread is still valuable. This is the second time I've revisited for something. Honestly I can't recall the other recent info point. I did a factory reset to the DSC since I am running a non LSD right now and it added a few extra things not there before, like start assist. I recently created a new stand alone coding laptop and couldn't find my original TRC files to revert back to, hence the factory reset. I'm guessing that with the M3 DCT in the VO it reset back to something slightly different than what I had before. I had the annoying start assist error. Thanks to this thread I was able to code start assist off.

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
Now I'm waiting for this sub tropical storm to move up the coast so it will dry out enough for me to try it. That's why I just went with the M3 drivetrain, yes it added $2k to the bottom line but it included the axle and driveshaft upgrade. No need for aftermarket axles and driveshaft which would be much more than the M3 pieces and offers a huge selection of gear ratios and LSD options if the M variable LSD doesn't cut it for you. The 215 pumpkin just doesn't have many options available that I could find. I can find a 2.81, 2.93, or a 3.07 in 210mm right now for $200-300 and they'd all bolt right in my M3 diff.

Fair point on the gearing availability. The thing that bothers me most about moving to the M3 210 case is the drive shaft modification. I'll probably move the m factory LSD over to the 3.08 for now, while looking for a M3 diff setup. For some reason the M3 diff and accessories went up in price significantly this year. :(

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
Once I did the DSC/SZL I didn’t have the error any more.
I have the shadow errors as well. I have a M3 DSC waiting to go in but had some questions.

@dyezak - when you rerouted the dsc button to the dsc unit directly. Does the dsc unit then send out the MDM message to the kombi? Same as before with one touch for MDM and long press is Off? How difficult was it to rewire?

Reactions: LMB335is

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I have the shadow errors as well. I have a M3 DSC waiting to go in but had some questions.

@dyezak - when you rerouted the dsc button to the dsc unit directly. Does the dsc unit then send out the MDM message to the kombi? Same as before with one touch for MDM and long press is Off? How difficult was it to rewire?

MDM is totally different than the two press dsc that the 335 has. That is like comparing bud light to scotch. And that requires a more work.

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is

This, and making the M3 hazard/tire pressure switch functional. I know the button is a FTM/TPM reset button according to a M3 owners manual supplement I have but which does the M3 use? I can enable/disable either with coding but it's one or the other, not both. And if you have Idrive it's just a duplicate function anyways so I guess if you're worried about visual accuracy it's worth the $20 for a used switch.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
This, and making the M3 hazard/tire pressure switch functional. I know the button is a FTM/TPM reset button according to a M3 owners manual supplement I have but which does the M3 use? I can enable/disable either with coding but it's one or the other, not both. And if you have Idrive it's just a duplicate function anyways so I guess if you're worried about visual accuracy it's worth the $20 for a used switch.

I figured the dash TPM button was because the M3 is more likely to be used on a track and have wheels/tires swapped on a regular basis.

As for making that switch functional I haven't dug into it as I'm sure it has something to do with JBE VO coding.

Reactions: LMB335is

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
@Stokes @aus335iguy https://datazap.me/u/veloman62/ina0sbqe60dctbeta15-m3-drivetrain281-fd?log=0&data=3-19
Three pulls, WOT logging pulls. First two are full 2nd-5th gear pulls, last is 2nd-6th. I would have never been able to log from 2nd before due to wheelspin but with these PS4's and the LSD it just dead hooks. It brought a tear to my eye. I reset all the adaptions with INPA so it's still learning back in but things are looking pretty damn good so far. And please ignore my boost leak.

And as a side note, I was able to play with LC. It settles at 3500 rpm and I'm able to adjust +/- 500 rpm with my stock SZL. Anything higher or lower and it just drops back to idle.

@dyezak I seriously owe you a lot of fucking beer for taking the initiative and getting this done. RLTW sir.

Nice, any videos of the pulls?

We need to get the part number of the SZL the other guy was using who reported it working. Its interesting that you can adjust it a little bit but not entirely.

Also, by moving to the 2.81, does this make your car more susceptible to detecting wheel spin or loss of traction? For example, if DSC isn't disabled, is the torque limiter activating more frequently?

I still would loved to see someone use the S55 DCT instead, it has the correct gearing and better software.

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
Nice, any videos of the pulls?

We need to get the part number of the SZL the other guy was using who reported it working. Its interesting that you can adjust it a little bit but not entirely.

Also, by moving to the 2.81, does this make your car more susceptible to detecting wheel spin or loss of traction? For example, if DSC isn't disabled, is the torque limiter activating more frequently?

I still would loved to see someone use the S55 DCT instead, it has the correct gearing and better software.

Sorry, no videos. A GoPro is on my want list though.

I know my SZL P/N is 61319123048 but I have a MDrive compatible M3 SZL ready to go in with my M3 DSC unit shortly. I don't know what the adjustment range on a M3 is but my 3k-4k range right now is probably a pretty good starting point. Low enough to minimize spinning but high enough not to bog.

I haven't logged regular driving yet to check the what the limiters may be doing. I haven't noticed anything though, drives pretty smooth although I almost exclusively drive in M5 mode.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is

I know my SZL P/N is 61319123048 but I have a MDrive compatible M3 SZL ready to go in with my M3 DSC unit shortly. I don't know what the adjustment range on a M3 is but my 3k-4k range right now is probably a pretty good starting point. Low enough to minimize spinning but high enough not to bog.

I haven't logged regular driving yet to check the what the limiters may be doing. I haven't noticed anything though, drives pretty smooth although I almost exclusively drive in M5 mode.

I can adjust from 3500-5500rpm in 100rpm increments.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i

Get a Yi 4K+ IMO. You can afford two of them this way, and it has an external mic input as well.
LMB335is said:
Okay, well any little bits of information like this is good. Does anyone remember the name of the other gentleman who said his works out of the box? Also, any ideas why @dyezak's adjustment was intermittent? I'd like to figure out the reasoning behind this, I think it may shed some important light on what is going on here. I don't care about the MDrive stuff so much personally, so the adjustable launch control alone would be interesting enough for me. If it works out, I may opt for a 2.81 as well.
LMB335is said:

I know its real hard to notice small differences when you change so many major components but keep an eye out for this. Since you're going to shorter gears, which threshold are we approaching exactly? Perhaps we'd see ABS engage prematurely or are we closer to the wheelspin side of things? If so, does this mean ABS would engage too late?

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
I can adjust from 3500-5500rpm in 100rpm increments.
Are you still on the standard M3 TCU flash? Does yours start at 5k before adjustment? I think the M3 GTS flash starts at 3.5k but I'd like to have that extra adjustability.

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
Get a Yi 4K+ IMO. You can afford two of them this way, and it has an external mic input as well.

Okay, well any little bits of information like this is good. Does anyone remember the name of the other gentleman who said his works out of the box? Also, any ideas why @dyezak's adjustment was intermittent? I'd like to figure out the reasoning behind this, I think it may shed some important light on what is going on here. I don't care about the MDrive stuff so much personally, so the adjustable launch control alone would be interesting enough for me. If it works out, I may opt for a 2.81 as well.

I know its real hard to notice small differences when you change so many major components but keep an eye out for this. Since you're going to shorter gears, which threshold are we approaching exactly? Perhaps we'd see ABS engage prematurely or are we closer to the wheelspin side of things? If so, does this mean ABS would engage too late?

Never heard of the Yi 4K, I'll definitely give it a look.

Remember, going to a 2.81 is a shorter gear on the 335is TCU flash. With the M3 TCU flash the 2.81 is a longer gear. Everything in the drivetrain is turning slower at a given speed than it would normally with the correct 3.15 gear. How this would play out on the other systems I can't say at this point but perhaps the M3 DSC/ABS unit would/will nullify any of this due to it being a much simpler and "looser" setup compared to the 335i unit.

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
MDM is totally different than the two press dsc that the 335 has. That is like comparing bud light to scotch. And that requires a more work.

Okay, I read the _____ manual and now understand the M3 ways. So, DSC and SZL for MDM at least. Anyone know if MDM is a dme action? I'm still searching for MDM retrofit details.

Last edited:

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
A while back I had adjustable launch control with the 135i SZL. I'll try and get out tonight and verify again that it wasn't just a one day event or some odd combination of half-a$$ coding. I only played with taking it down to 3000 and then up to 4000. I didn't try any further that that range.

Side note, what are you all doing for post DCT adaptation reset relearning process? I reset after putting the 3.08 in and tried a flow chart I found, but now light throttle slips majorly.

Edit: I reset again and drove hard. Much better now.

Last edited:

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Are you still on the standard M3 TCU flash? Does yours start at 5k before adjustment? I think the M3 GTS flash starts at 3.5k but I'd like to have that extra adjustability.

Oh man! Thanks for reminding me. I AM still on the standard M3 flash from back when I was troubleshooting. I should graduate back to the GTS flash.

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
A while back I had adjustable launch control with the 135i SZL. I'll try and get out tonight and verify again that it wasn't just a one day event or some odd combination of half-a$$ coding. I only played with taking it down to 3000 and then up to 4000. I didn't try any further that that range.

Side note, what are you all doing for post DCT adaptation reset relearning process? I reset after putting the 3.08 in and tried a flow chart I found, but now light throttle slips majorly.

Verified. I must have last updated with std M3 zsub. 4500 rpm start. Adj down to 3000 rpm and up to 5000 rpm with factory 2011 135i cruise stalk.

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Verified. I must have last updated with std M3 zsub. 4500 rpm start. Adj down to 3000 rpm and up to 5000 rpm with factory 2011 135i cruise stalk.

Excellent, so we just need to pinpoint which SZL you have and go from there

Never heard of the Yi 4K, I'll definitely give it a look.
Yes, specifically the 4K+

LMB335is said:
Remember, going to a 2.81 is a shorter gear on the 335is TCU flash. With the M3 TCU flash the 2.81 is a longer gear. Everything in the drivetrain is turning slower at a given speed than it would normally with the correct 3.15 gear. How this would play out on the other systems I can't say at this point but perhaps the M3 DSC/ABS unit would/will nullify any of this due to it being a much simpler and "looser" setup compared to the 335i unit.

Right. Sorry, I've honestly been somewhat disconnected from several of these conversations. I just got back from San Diego and have been replying while boarding roller coasters and shit. For whatever reason I have a habbit of getting these gearing questions backwards.

Last edited: