Discussion about issues encountered whilst converting to M3 Flash and GWS

Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Found a very nice condition, complete M3 DCT wheel with switches and paddles recently. Just installed it and both paddles and switches work as they should. Looks like the 335is paddles need to use the 335is switches to function and vice versa. I know the paddles are wired differently between the two and perhaps the signal is routed through the switches differently because of this.

May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Found a very nice condition, complete M3 DCT wheel with switches and paddles recently. Just installed it and both paddles and switches work as they should. Looks like the 335is paddles need to use the 335is switches to function and vice versa. I know the paddles are wired differently between the two and perhaps the signal is routed through the switches differently because of this.
Huh...

Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Yeah, I'm not sure what the deal is without taking it all apart but this is what worked for me. Cruise control is next on the list. Besides the VO change to $540 there's a couple things I found in the KOMBI comparing the TRCs that may have something to do with it.

Nov 18, 2017
Makes no sense at all but since when did that stop manufacturers in the past?
So in summary when using M3, KOMBI, GWS, SZL and DSC you needed to change to M3 shift paddles but @dyezak didn’t?

Nov 18, 2017
Wonder where the difference between the two setups is ?
The N54 DCT cars here in oz with DCT would predate yours and would probably have push pull paddles and so this likely wasn’t an issue for @Bimaxtremeretro

Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Makes no sense at all but since when did that stop manufacturers in the past?
So in summary when using M3, KOMBI, GWS, SZL and DSC you needed to change to M3 shift paddles but @dyezak didn’t?
I also changed to the M3 multifunction steering wheels controls. When I tried to use these M buttons with the 335is paddles the paddles no longer worked. Using the 335is buttons and paddles together worked fine just like @dyezak's do.

I had the opportunity to pickup a complete M3 DCT wheel in great condition so I went for it. The M paddles with the M buttons also work as intended on my car. Only when you mix and match between the two is there a issue. The paddle signal is routed through the button cluster on each side and I guess there's something that doesn't jive between the two different setups.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018
Just installed my factory 3.15 lsd on my car, shift are a lot better but still have a little hesitation on high gears shifts 4-5 5-6 6-7 , im thinking this could be tune related

L€X

Dec 30, 2018
BTW, if anyone is interested in a 2.81 ring and pinion that will work in a large case 210mm M3 diff let me know. My guy has one available right now and can probably get more. He said the 2.65 is the unicorn of 210mm gears, very hard to come by. I think I know where some are but have no idea what it would cost to buy one.
Hello, do you installed 2,81 ring and pinion in m3 diff? Is it works good? Its from 540 e39?

Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Hello, do you installed 2,81 ring and pinion in m3 diff? Is it works good? Its from 540 e39?
Yes, I'm using a 2.81 ring and pinion in my M3 diff. It works very well. It's about as high a gear (low numerically) that you can use and still have the DCT with M3 software work correctly. I had all the seals and bearings replaced at the same time too so it was like new. It was from a 840Ci but it looks like the 540 used it too.