Discussion about issues encountered whilst converting to M3 Flash and GWS

Sucukman

Private
Jan 20, 2020
Ride
BMW 335is
What do u mean? The process to flash is the same for m3 or for 1m zb into a dsc90 non module. As long u put a copy of the zb file in the folder develop, u will see it in the expert to flash with winkp.
And yes some done it.

would like to know the difference between M3 and 1er M DSC Software, whether it is better or worse, will power and MDM work or not?

Begood69

Corporal
Nov 13, 2016
Fayetteville, NC
Ride
335i N54 Predator 3.2L stroker
would like to know the difference between M3 and 1er M DSC Software, whether it is better or worse, will power and MDM work or not?
For my understanding.. 1M works thru the JBBF to activate the DSC (on, partial and off).. M3 goes direct wired (on and off).
As for power only M3 has that function and is wired direct to m3 dme. N54 on 1m does not have power. But u can use m button to change the throttle tables. As for MDM in the cic does not seems like it works.

Reactions: Sucukman

S54ca

Private
Apr 4, 2020
I’ve successfully flashed the 1M DSC ZB on my 135i. Check my posts for detailed instructions on how to do it.
Edit: I haven’t been able to get MDM to work yet.

Reactions: Sucukman

Sucukman

Private
Jan 20, 2020
Ride
BMW 335is
Thanks a lot. So there are no advantages to flashing the 1er M DSC software. I have now connected the DSC button directly to the DSC ECU, a flash on 1er M would then cause that not to work, am I correct?

Reactions: Begood69

Begood69

Corporal
Nov 13, 2016
Fayetteville, NC
Ride
335i N54 Predator 3.2L stroker
I’ve successfully flashed the 1M DSC ZB on my 135i. Check my posts for detailed instructions on how to do it.
Edit: I haven’t been able to get MDM to work yet.
Sorry im ignorante on the MDM. What is MDM? And how does it work? If it is the settings on the CIC min do not work either. If it is the mbutton changing the throttle tables which is the "power" equivalent in the 1M that i have it working. But using the M button to chnage tables AND have the m3gws switch to 7 and DSC to go OFF and drivelogic to go 6, at once with that m button that does not work (or yet, or ever)

S54ca

Private
Apr 4, 2020
Thanks a lot. So there are no advantages to flashing the 1er M DSC software. I have now connected the DSC button directly to the DSC ECU, a flash on 1er M would then cause that not to work, am I correct?

I wouldn't say there are no advantages. I've found that with the 1M DSC completely off the car feels more natural, and in my opinion is more predictable and controllable at the limit or during a little power slide. This could be due to the fact that I never completely turned off all of the annoying 135i DSC settings before though. With DSC on, the system definitely interferes less as well.

Regarding the DSC button -- TIS shows that the DSC button is wired to the JBBF instead of to the DSC module directly in the 1M. With that said, I guess I wouldn't be completely surprised if it worked the way you've configured it as well, since the M3 ZB can be flashed on the same DSC module. Could be worth a try.

Sorry im ignorante on the MDM. What is MDM? And how does it work? If it is the settings on the CIC min do not work either. If it is the mbutton changing the throttle tables which is the "power" equivalent in the 1M that i have it working. But using the M button to chnage tables AND have the m3gws switch to 7 and DSC to go OFF and drivelogic to go 6, at once with that m button that does not work (or yet, or ever)

MDM is the intermediate traction control system between fully on and fully off, basically the 'M' equivalent of DTC. Supposedly you can slide, but it won't allow you to spin.

S54ca

Private
Apr 4, 2020
So is the ZB for the 1M different to 135/335?

Yes, that's correct. The 1M ZB number is different.

Also, I forgot to mention this before, but I believe there is a setting for 'double koppel' (or whatever the dual clutch equivalent is in German) contained within the .TRC file from the 1M DSC. Might be relevant for some of you with DCT's trying to get various functions / features to work.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
As long as 2MK is in the VO, default coding should enable everything related to MDCT in the modules.

Anyone that has 1M DSC, SZL, IKM0S and a working M button, I had defined some switches a while ago and haven't been able to test. They should be correct, so feel free to try (at your own risk) and report back. The M/Sport switch enables should already be on (1) in IKM0S, but curious if Enable DKG (DCT) on E82 M button and Default DriveLogic level on E82 M button work/do anything at all lol

Attachments

• IKM0S(1M switches).xdf
    12.3 KB · Views: 39

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
As long as 2MK is in the VO, default coding should enable everything related to MDCT in the modules.

Anyone that has 1M DSC, SZL, IKM0S and a working M button, I had defined some switches a while ago and haven't been able to test. They should be correct, so feel free to try (at your own risk) and report back. The M/Sport switch enables should already be on (1) in IKM0S, but curious if Enable DKG (DCT) on E82 M button and Default DriveLogic level on E82 M button work/do anything at all lol
Well; now that I’m on IKMOS andI have a coding laptop with tuner pro there are no excuses. Ill have a go when I get home tomorrow.
I cant open the file on my pad but are these just another XDF applied to the IKMOS bin ? and by switch you mean activate and change the bit from 0 to 1 ?

thanks for doing this and all of the help you’ve given me also... Youre a gentleman sir!

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Well; now that I’m on IKMOS andI have a coding laptop with tuner pro there are no excuses. Ill have a go when I get home tomorrow.
I cant open the file on my pad but are these just another XDF applied to the IKMOS bin ? and by switch you mean activate and change the bit from 0 to 1 ?

thanks for doing this and all of the help you’ve given me also... Youre a gentleman sir!
LMK how it goes, I've been trying to find time myself.

Sorry, yes, usually they're 0 or 1 and this is an XDF with just these tables in it. Tune with the full public XDF and then use these to access these settings or move these to the full XDF if you want.

The default DL logic stage may just be an integer 1-6, but might be other values 0-255, and there's one that's a timer. I couldn't find any documentation on what these actually do, but obviously enable the switch and enable/disable/set other things on it.

If you have questions, shoot me a PM.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
@RSL
So the process might be
Load XDF
Load and open .bin file
Try Change one parameter.
Save and flash to car
Test drivelogic scenarios or other
note effect on car
remove previous change
rinse,repeat Until all changes are tested individually

Do the above but test all cumulatively ie add one at a time and dont remove previous.

Do the above again but try different combinations

How many switches are there(cant open the file, dont have the tools on iOS)

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Pretty much on the first part. Open XDF, load bin, change, save bin and flash.

Nothing that extensive for testing. 2 of them are already enabled in IKM0S and are just defined there. One is to enable DCT and another is DSC on the M button. The third thing to test is the default DL stage on M button. Could really set all 3 at once and see what goes on/statuses are when M button is pressed.

I assume the DCT on M button is sending sport program flag to TCU. Might need other software to confirm that one (Testo), but hoping you'll just feel/notice a difference. Likewise, the default DL stage I'm expecting it to set that DL automatically when the M button is pressed, but honestly not sure how many levels the 1M might have had. It may only go to 1 or not do anything without M3 DCT bin. Might not do anything even with the M3 DCT bin if the comms are different. I'm almost kind of hoping DL is buried in the non-M TCU bin and we just don't know it yet lol

Reactions: aus335iguy

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Well i tested tonight. And something worked
Background - My car has stock hardware with IKMOS ROM and 135is TCU flash.
I had to first enable the MDRive menu in my CIC as my M button doesnt seem to do anything. ONce i flashed i noticed that the drivelogic level would stay memorised even after i turned off the car. Im curious to see if it has an effect on those cars with 1M or M3 DSC ill also be coding my KOMBI and flashin DSC shortly...Its on, like donkey kong :D

correction went for a drive today and default is unchanged.... I have no idea why it is t working but I did let the car sleep after each step... sorry for the Incorrect info fellas...

Last edited:
Reactions: RSL and houtan

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
My drive logic remembers the settings on the Z4.

But driving in Auto mode is pointless. Wants to go to 7th gear as fast as it can

Like it is always at level 1

Last edited:
Reactions: aus335iguy

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
If there was a 1M TCU tune created how would we find it in the daten?
Need to look by VO model and options. I've looked before and didn't see any tranny anything for 1M. Z4is DCT might the closest possible in terms of features in the bin (don't they have a sport+ setting??), but I've never tried flashing one to 335is.
Mine drive logic remembers the settings on the Z4.

But driving in Auto mode is pointless. Wants to go to 7th gear as fast as it can

Like it is always at level 1
You have the M3 EGS and DCT or your stock Z4 setup shows DL 1? I have trouble keeping up with various states of people's conversions lol

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Need to look by VO model and options. I've looked before and didn't see any tranny anything for 1M. Z4is DCT might the closest possible in terms of features in the bin (don't they have a sport+ setting??), but I've never tried flashing one to 335is.
You have the M3 EGS and DCT or your stock Z4 setup shows DL 1? I have trouble keeping up with various states of people's conversions lol

Yes. I have done M3 EGS and programming.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
man this is getting really confusing. Best I can gather, the M3 SZL seems to work with IKMOs and gives the sport throttle sensitivity (or power function) @begood has that. I don’t think anyone has got MDM (Partial DSC) or MDrive (drivelogic memory recall) working.