Discussion about issues encountered whilst converting to M3 Flash and GWS

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
3.85? We need to go the other way.... 3.15 is already too big and I'd prefer a ratio the TCU is expecting. I've already decided to continue with my 2.56 lsd and I'll have to build around it as things break. I wanted to do the rear end... The gearing just turns me off.

His point was that final drive has absolutely no impact to functionality.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I went ahead and picked up a dsc module as well should have it by the end of the week hopefully.

Same. I'm tired of dicking around and just got a DSC, a KOMBI, and 4 wheel speed sensors. Evidentally the wheel speed sensors are different on the M3 so if you use the DSC from an M3 you have to swap your wheel speed sensors too.

So far:

Hardware Installed:
M3 GWS
M3 Center Console Trim
M3 GWS Plug
M3 Drivelogic Switch
M3 Drivelogic Plug

Hardware Pending Install:
M3 Rear Diff (3.15)
M3 Axles
M3 Driveshaft
M3 KOMBI
M3 DSC
M3 Wheel Speed Sensors

Potentially required hardware:
M3 SZL (clock spring, potentially needed for adjustable launch control)
M3 Lateral G Sensor (should be the same as the 335is one...)

VO:
Remove 335is DCT Code
Add M3 DCT Code
Add M3 MDrive Code

Flashing:
Flash EKG (transmission)

Coding:
CIC
DSC
KOMBI

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
He doesn’t know specifically what in the DSC is changed however the car he built has it and works.

Exactly. He commented that he didn't have a lot of free time. So he didn't do things step by step to see what modules contributed to what feature/bug.

He took a 335i 6AT that was putting 600hp down then converted it to DCT, with a 3.85 M3 Diff (from the 2.56 to 3.85), with all the associated M3 modules I posted in the post just a bit ago. Did it all in one big giant job and everything worked flawlessly. He said the only piece that gave him problems was active cruise control but he worked through it.

He said he's really concerned with how long the drivetrain in that customer's car will last because with 600hp and a LSD 3.85 with the GTS DCT flash the shifts are brutal and it feels like the car is going to pull the wheels off the ground at any give moment.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
The rear wheel speed sensors are the same between the M and non M. The fronts on the other hand are not. M front wheel speed sensors are p/n 34527853586.

Well darn. It's ok, I got them 2nd hand and for $30/ea so no big loss and now I have 2 spare rear speed sensors.

On another note...off to go perform an oil change and upgrade the fuel lines with the added flex fuel sensor :hearteyes:. I'll post some pics of that in my build thread.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Has anyone tried @TireDeathRacing suggestion about KOMBI coding ?

I’ve looked and saw a diagram where the KOMBI passes DSC info onto the SMG in e46 M3s. They are dramatically different I know but in terms of implementation and design they have been shown as similar. I can’t find the same diagram for e9x

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
@aus335iguy I compared my KOMBI coding to the posted M3 ones and all my values match that actually exist. The M3 KOMBI has additional values though...so I *think* I've gone as far with KOMBI coding as I can given the hardware differences.

EDIT: This was also the reason I bit the bullet and bought an M3 KOMBI

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Also, the Z4is has a similar DSC to Ms.
Again, it’s the only N54 that was designed from the factory as a quasi m car with DCT. I really think that its worth delving into

Last edited:

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
@aus335iguy I compared my KOMBI coding to the posted M3 ones and all my values match that actually exist. The M3 KOMBI has additional values though...so I *think* I've gone as far with KOMBI coding as I can given the hardware differences.

EDIT: This was also the reason I bit the bullet and bought an M3 KOMBI

Sorry, What I think what he meant was that putting the KOMBI back to 335i spec away from any M3 settings might yield a result. Ie when the KOMBI is showing incorrect RPMs...

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Sorry, What I think what he meant was that putting the KOMBI back to 335i spec away from any M3 settings might yield a result. Ie when the KOMBI is showing incorrect RPMs...

Ah, going back to factory 335i KOMBI coding. I can do that since I have an M3 KOMBI inbound and hot swapping between them would be simple enough.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
The rear wheel speed sensors are the same between the M and non M. The fronts on the other hand are not. M front wheel speed sensors are p/n 34527853586.
i have a hunch that the sensors are only different mechanically and electrically they may be the same. The way they mount to the M3 knuckle may be the reason they have differing part numbers. Or BMW just wanted to make more unique M parts to clog up the list of different parts us retrofitters need to buy.... one or the other.

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
i have a hunch that the sensors are only different mechanically and electrically they may be the same. The way they mount to the M3 knuckle may be the reason they have differing part numbers. Or BMW just wanted to make more unique M parts to clog up the list of different parts us retrofitters need to buy.... one or the other.
It's hard to tell from the pics online but they look pretty similar. It is interesting that the rears are the same along with the yaw sensor but these are "different". I went ahead and bought the two front ones new for under $100 shipped anyways. Just add it to the total. My parts list has expanded exponentially lol.

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
BTW, if anyone is interested in a 2.81 ring and pinion that will work in a large case 210mm M3 diff let me know. My guy has one available right now and can probably get more. He said the 2.65 is the unicorn of 210mm gears, very hard to come by. I think I know where some are but have no idea what it would cost to buy one.

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
Crap. How much for the 2.81? I just want the r&p.
$300 shipped. Diffsonline has their used ones starting at $500 and that's if he even has one. I got mine yesterday. Looked in excellent condition, teeth were all good, no obvious wear. Found a place to get the elusive pinion bearings as well. The only other place I found in the US was Diffsonline and the pair was $260 plus shipping. I found them for $100 cheaper.

Reactions: Stokes

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Tom from Brintech is about to join the forum. Heads up @doublespaces he needs to come here said he’s made a discovery he wants to share. What a top bloke. I’m snowed under with work I’ll check back in later if I can

Reactions: doublespaces