Discussion about issues encountered whilst converting to M3 Flash and GWS

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Okay, I read the _____ manual and now understand the M3 ways. So, DSC and SZL for MDM at least. Anyone know if MDM is a dme action? I'm still searching for MDM retrofit details.
M dynamic mode is a DSC function however I don’t think we’ve explicitly said you get it with just the M3 DSC.

For the absence of doubt M Drive is different, it’s the button on the steering wheel and that requires 1M DME(fairly certain)

you can use M drive to invoke MDM

@dyezak is that correct or did I read somewhere that the MDrive worked on your setup?

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
Okay, I read the _____ manual and now understand the M3 ways. So, DSC and SZL for MDM at least. Anyone know if MDM is a dme action? I'm still searching for MDM retrofit details.
I believe MDM is a function of the DSC. In the M, one push of the DSC button enables MDM, a much looser version of our standard DSC one push setting and it can be coded inside the DSC to the Euro version with even more relaxed settings. The long push disables everything like ours did except there's no ediff to interfere with the M version.

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
I thought @dyezak confirmed that the M3 did not have one touch function on the DSC switch, just long press off? Did I miss something? I hope so. I have a M3 DSC sitting on stand by if I can get MDM with a direct wiring of the switch (for the wife on the big tracks). If not then DTC it is (for same reason).

Edit: read through the manual again and it seems to confirm the DSC Off button does only one thing. :( I wonder how the MDM message gets sent? To kombi and dsc?

Last edited:

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I thought @dyezak confirmed that the M3 did not have one touch function on the DSC switch, just long press off? Did I miss something? I hope so. I have a M3 DSC sitting on stand by if I can get MDM with a direct wiring of the switch (for the wife on the big tracks). If not then DTC it is (for same reason).

Edit: read through the manual again and it seems to confirm the DSC Off button does only one thing. :( I wonder how the MDM message gets sent? To kombi and dsc?
Pretty sure it goes from steering wheel>idrive cic>dme>DSC and kombi

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is

In my retrofit it is either fully on or off. No MDM mode. I am almost positive the DME is in the chain of communication as described by @aus335iguy. I'm in the middle of a ST conversion so when I flash my ST tune it will be on the IKM0S (1M) DME software to allow both MDM and full MDrive control.

Reactions: Stokes

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
Got the M3 DSC unit installed and ran a wire from pin 41 to the center console switches and tapped into power and ground so that's done. Also have the Power lead ready to go if and when we find out if it will work @dyezak . Pin 41 is empty BTW on our 335is connector. Started on the SZL which is actually quite simple to swap, and have the steering wheels buttons swapped for M3 ones. Gotta break it off for now, camp is over for the day and Daddy daycare cranks back up.

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
Everything is coded, calibrated, aligned, and bled. One issue and one fault code remain so before I go start tearing shit apart I wanted to throw it up here because I may be overlooking something simple. Paddle shifters don't work in M mode, gear shifter works fine in M mode but paddles give me nothing. Only thing I coded was the DSC module with the M3 bastard VO. Should I have coded other modules with that VO? JBBF? Could also be the M Drive multifunction switches I swapped in, just not sure how the pinout compares between the two different cars.

Fault code is CDAD - DME: Message(request, wheel torque, drivetrain, BF) CAN fault. Again did I overlook default coding a module with the M3 bastard VO? @dyezak @RSL @Stokes

Everything else is great. Used Euro M3 designation in the VO so it's set for Euro MDM if and when it's possible.

Last edited:

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Everything is coded, calibrated, aligned, and bled. One issue and one fault code remain so before I go start tearing shit apart I wanted to throw it up here because I may be overlooking something simple. Paddle shifters don't work in M mode, gear shifter works fine in M mode but paddles give me nothing. Only thing I coded was the DSC module with the M3 bastard VO. Should I have coded other modules with that VO? JBBF? Could also be the M Drive multifunction switches I swapped in, just not sure how the pinout compares between the two different cars.

Fault code is CDAD - DME: Message(request, wheel torque, drivetrain, BF) CAN fault. Again did I overlook default coding a module with the M3 bastard VO? @dyezak @RSL @Stokes

Everything else is great. Used Euro M3 designation in the VO so it's set for Euro MDM if and when it's possible.

You only code the DSC with the spoofed VO. Do the paddle shifters work any other time? When in D? Or are they totally non-functional?

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
You only code the DSC with the spoofed VO. Do the paddle shifters work any other time? When in D? Or are they totally non-functional?
I only coded the DSC with the modified VO. Totally non-functional. The only thing I can think of is the different multi-function switches I installed change something and that's the only thing different I did from you. Perhaps it's wired differently for the M3 paddles. It only takes a few minutes to swap back so I think I'll start there.

EDIT So a quick Google search and of course the M3 paddles have completely different circuitry from a 335is paddle. I'm guessing M3 paddles need to go with M3 multifunction switches and the same for 335is paddles and switches.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: RSL and aus335iguy

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
Was going to suggest swapping them back
I'm trying to follow. You swapped the steering wheel function buttons? But not the steering wheel? Guessing then the flappy paddles route through the function button module? Haven't opened mine up to know.

Wonder if it is a simple rewiring then?

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
I'm trying to follow. You swapped the steering wheel function buttons? But not the steering wheel? Guessing then the flappy paddles route through the function button module? Haven't opened mine up to know.

Wonder if it is a simple rewiring then?

Yes, I swapped in the M3 function switches with the M drive symbol on them onto my stock wheel and stock DCT paddles. It's a no go. Apparently the circuit boards and resistors are totally different between the two paddles sets and the paddle signals are routed through the switches. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1155929

I'm guessing if I used M3 DCT paddles it would work again, especially with the M3 SZL and multi-function switches in there.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Yes, I swapped in the M3 function switches with the M drive symbol on them onto my stock wheel and stock DCT paddles. It's a no go. Apparently the circuit boards and resistors are totally different between the two paddles sets and the paddle signals are routed through the switches. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1155929

I'm guessing if I used M3 DCT paddles it would work again, especially with the M3 SZL and multi-function switches in there.

I'm not sure about the paddles, but the buttons are exactly the same. The only difference is the image on the M button, just a silk screen printing difference. Electrically they are identical. And I have my 335is paddles with my M3 MDM SZL and it's fully functional.

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
I'm not sure about the paddles, but the buttons are exactly the same. The only difference is the image on the M button, just a silk screen printing difference. Electrically they are identical. And I have my 335is paddles with my M3 MDM SZL and it's fully functional.

I'll fuck with it tomorrow starting with swapping my switches back and see what happens. I was under the assumption that the switches are the same as well except for the cosmetics.