Discussion about issues encountered whilst converting to M3 Flash and GWS

amg6975

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2019
Ride
2012 135, 2005 ZHP, 2009 fJCW
Hey crew, this thread and efforts are amazing. Hats off to all you! I have a DCT 135 that is becoming a dedicated track car so I’ve been gathering things to make a custom removable steering wheel with buttons and paddles so I can fit higher sided seats. That got me thinking that I could just emulate the M3 GWS instead of the 135/335is and run the GTS software and then got into reading this.

My winter project is to deeply understand the K CAN and how manipulate it with a custom steering wheel controller. I want to do away with the GWS and build it into the wheel. Should be able to relocate MDM button, power button, etc. May have to make an interface board to replace the GWS to connect the K CAN to the PT CAN, parking solenoid, etc.

I’m an Electrical Engineer and do a ton of embedded systems and digital communication work so if there are things I can help out with hit me up! I love the pioneering spirit here.

Yes, making a box to sit between the TCU and PT CAN to modify the requested RPM to the ECU would be pretty straight forward.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Welcome sir/madam/other !
I believe you have your answer to the final drive question? Now, about that can interface...

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
@PeterY, I can handle the software side to get IKM up and running on your DME. I have done this for a few members here for a small fee. It did not get the M button working properly though, and I won't have time to dig for that functionality for awhile.
HI Jake, what is the benefit to load IKM0S, or even INA0S on an IJE0S car?
ive been trying to find that advantages, but i cant seem to see what it will provide over and above what the IJE0S offers, i understand that the IJE0S ROM is older, so i assume there fixes to the ROMs, perhaps throttle response, and other adjusmtents that have been added over the years.

I also assume that loading IKM0S is to be for the M3 GWS/KOMBI etc that has been done in terms of conversion, although not a requirement.

If anyone can give the benefits of flashing to a INA0S/IKM0S setup from an IJE0S setup, please let me know, thank you

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
It’s a mythical beast rather than a real benefit
The main reason is for M Mode but the IKMOS calibration still has the most power out of the box and there may be other undiscovered things such as how it interacts with DCT which may be advantageous.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Once you flash to a different ROM type than what came w/ your car or is outside of that ROM's upgrade path (like IKC0S - > IKM0S), you are on your own for flashing back to stock, as MHD will only create a stock bin of what ROM is currently on the car.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
So I’m Ijeos at the moment and you’re saying the better DCT ROM is INAOS or IKMOS. I think what @general massacre is asking is what makes them better? I was of the impression it was an unknown

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Once you flash to a different ROM type than what came w/ your car or is outside of that ROM's upgrade path (like IKC0S - > IKM0S), you are on your own for flashing back to stock, as MHD will only create a stock bin of what ROM is currently on the car.
From my understanding, and very limited experience over the weekend, flashing back to stock is just a matter of keeping the record of the initial ZB# recorded on your car woth IJE0S. And your stock VIN_original.bin file safe.

I have access to a VIN_original.bin file from a 335is car off of boost addicts forum which one of the members posted publicly for anyone wanting to got the INA0S route for a starting flash point. And the other option is what RSL and JohnDaviz told me where you can just flash the INA0S BEF file, and as long as its a Full Write (18 - 38min) then it will be ok.
JohnDaviz also gave insight into a Bit change for some values (4BD9D+E) from 00 to 01.

Im still teaching myself my own "tuning" so to speak, and the understanding aspect is coming along, albeit slowly. But i am getting there.

If what you say is true that INA0S and IKMOS would be better for the DCT (IKM0S never had DCT, so that would be a case of it being grown out of the IKC0S family i presume, ).
Then INA0S would provide better shifts, (my friends Z4 35i is stock with the INA0S and it feels so much more crisp on the gearchanges, as well as the throttle feel, when compared to my own 335i DCT IJE0S. Its actually impressive.
So i believe the INA0S, much like updating your apps for new releases etc, was a more refined version of IJE0S and had fixes like throttle input, line pressures etc.

Ken told me that the boost ceilings of 1.28bar should never be exceeded on the DCT as it would cause issues. But ive checked the INA0S and they are fine to my limited knowledge.

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
So I’m Ijeos at the moment and you’re saying the better DCT ROM is INAOS or IKMOS. I think what @general massacre is asking is what makes them better? I was of the impression it was an unknown
I have the same impression, as ive done cpuntless reading on any thread i can find on the topic, and the advantages and disadvantages are nowhere to be found.
So will keep looking and teaching myself in the mean time. :)

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i

I cannot remember what it was. But I'm pretty sure the car runs better with 335is software or something to that effect. It seems like the 2009 can be turned into DCT but it is a super lazy iteration and I vaguely remember reading the newer DCT ROM versions were much more peppy.

Please forgive me if I'm mixing memories.

Sucukman

Private
Jan 20, 2020
Ride
BMW 335is
Hello everyone,

I have been reading 3 threads diligently for the last 5 days and now have to dothis conversion, but I still have some questions, would be nice if someone answered them

@dyezak

there are different DSC and SZL for the M3, with rain sensor and without, from 2010 and before, will all work or only certain ones?

@Stokes

the performance lsd from BMW with 2.81 ratio fits 1 to 1 when you just change the cover? 215 or 188 ?

@jyamona

what changes do you have to change with Tuner Pro on the map so that the whole works with the 2.81 LSD?

Thank you

Reactions: doublespaces

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
@doublespaces @dyezak @aus335iguy - Oliver got back to me with a proposal to modify the M3 GTS BIN for 2.56 ratio and stock turbo (6000 shift point). He also said he could work it so the 335i GWS would work fine with it. LOL a bit late for many of us. I'll ask him what his price is anyway for everyone else with DCT that would want the M3 logic and not all the work.

Personally, I'd like a BIN where the shifts wait longer than 1500 rpm. I tuned the throttle to be mostly dead the first 1/4, as far as the turbo is concerned, so it'd trick the DCT is holding gear longer, like to 2500 rpm before shift when cruising. I've also notice not as crisp shifts to 6th or 7th, but think that's my novice tuning of the PS2 causing that.

Sharing here so someone could remind me if I don't get back with anything soon.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
@doublespaces @dyezak @aus335iguy - Oliver got back to me with a proposal to modify the M3 GTS BIN for 2.56 ratio and stock turbo (6000 shift point). He also said he could work it so the 335i GWS would work fine with it. LOL a bit late for many of us. I'll ask him what his price is anyway for everyone else with DCT that would want the M3 logic and not all the work.

Personally, I'd like a BIN where the shifts wait longer than 1500 rpm. I tuned the throttle to be mostly dead the first 1/4, as far as the turbo is concerned, so it'd trick the DCT is holding gear longer, like to 2500 rpm before shift when cruising. I've also notice not as crisp shifts to 6th or 7th, but think that's my novice tuning of the PS2 causing that.

Amazing. That is fantastic news and you have me very excited for the hopefully near future. I would be happy to contribute to any funding neccesary to get this moving. I am stuck at the rear-end hardware stage and have not wanted to drop the diff, change bushings, beat the axles out, get driveshaft shortened.

Reactions: houtan

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i

That's great but he's about to be too little too late. Tell him to show us something, I've asked for the price and more information multiple times and nothing.

Reactions: aus335iguy

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
That’s great and I’d be interested if the price is right. I’d want exactly the same as you I think. Basically D mode like S is now and S little more aggressive. Adjustable launch would be the cherry.
Xhp flash shouldn’t be too far away as well though.

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
Ohhhh, I think I missed something. Am I to infer that Xhp is adding capability for the DCT transmission?

That would make sense for them to go after the M3 DCT crowd, allow custom shifting and final drive ratios. We could definitely benefit from that. I think Oliver might go after the 335is (and some 135i) crowd to get M3 logic without replacing parts.

Reactions: aus335iguy