Technical Doc Race 6266 @ 20psi - Health Check

John6857

Private
Aug 25, 2017
Ride
2007 E90 335i 6MT
You're hitting the tq limiter that's inside the DME. Shift bogged has plauge us 6mt guys since the dawn of time but Jake Y has a solution for it. It's going to be release after flex fuel. But another work around that I use was using to wotbox and set the rev limiter below the DME rev limiter and no lift shift however you run the risk of wotbox interrupting a charging coil.
Any news on the shift bog fix?

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i
I loaded the stuff to test it via JB4... just waiting on the snow to melt (again)!

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
The JB4 end is working well, need some more testers though to ensure it works across all conditions and setups.

How high of an RPM have you tested it to? There's a lot of things going on in the background when the clutch switch is activated, that I'm not sure I would feel safe removing. And I've only looked at a very small handful of the routines.

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
Snow has melted and I was able to test Terry's shift bog fix. All I can say is... IT WORKS! I'm thrilled.

Check out the throttle, pedal, and boost levels between the 3-4 shift.

Before:
https://datazap.me/u/suspenceful/shiftbog?log=0&data=1-4-5-9

After:
https://datazap.me/u/suspenceful/after-shift-bog-fix?log=0&data=1-4-5-9

I'm still on the OTS BMS BEF and trying to fine tune things (all JB4 bias's at 50 still). I think I'm going to gap my plugs down to 0.018" from the 0.022" they're currently at.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Snow has melted and I was able to test Terry's shift bog fix. All I can say is... IT WORKS! I'm thrilled.

Check out the throttle, pedal, and boost levels between the 3-4 shift.

Before:
https://datazap.me/u/suspenceful/shiftbog?log=0&data=1-4-5-9

After:
https://datazap.me/u/suspenceful/after-shift-bog-fix?log=0&data=1-4-5-9

I'm still on the OTS BMS BEF and trying to fine tune things (all JB4 bias's at 50 still). I think I'm going to gap my plugs down to 0.018" from the 0.022" they're currently at.

Something happened that the JB4 log isn't showing... Look at your "after" log and add in ignition advance. You flatline at 0... So boost and throttle are better but you're pulling timing. This behavior isn't on your before log.

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
Something happened that the JB4 log isn't showing... Look at your "after" log and add in ignition advance. You flatline at 0... So boost and throttle are better but you're pulling timing. This behavior isn't on your before log.

The 'before' log flatlines timing post shift, it just happens a little bit later in 4th gear (once the throttle comes back). Same concept is happening, just happens a lot faster in the 'after' log. My car has always done this.

I'm open to ideas as to why my car always pulls timing post shift. I'm thinking about going back to stock coils just to eliminate the possibility of my PR coils being wonky for some reason.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
@Terry@BMS How high of an RPM have you tested it to? There's a lot of things going on in the background when the clutch switch is activated, that I'm not sure I would feel safe removing. And I've only looked at a very small handful of the routines.

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
@Terry@BMS How high of an RPM have you tested it to? There's a lot of things going on in the background when the clutch switch is activated, that I'm not sure I would feel safe removing. And I've only looked at a very small handful of the routines.

I have personally tested it at 7.2k RPM on my stock motor. If I had a built motor/head I’d try 8k RPM though. What routines are we skipping through since removing if you have info to share.

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017

Around 7000rpm. So far, so good. Haven't seen any safety compromises in logs done. If you can add a full torque limiter delete to the MHD back end flash time options that sounds great. But until then or for people who happen to be using BB this is working well.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Not to derail this thread, but since it's on the topic of shift bog, how would you know for sure that you're experiencing it? Is it a guarantee that it occurs in a 6MT car in a high rpm shift, or is it hit or miss with some vehicles and the logs must be inspected? What specifically in the log is indicative of it? Is it the throttle closure, or the flat lined timing?

Terry appears to be avoiding it by intercepting/blocking the clutch switch, but it's also been mentioned that a WOTBOX using NLS avoids it as well. Is it the combination of clutch in/lift throttle that causes it above a certain rpm, and simply removing the DME from seeing that combination (in whichever way) avoids the issue? If that's not the case, how does using a WOTBOX prevent it?

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
WOTBOX would avoid it the same way the JB4 NLS would avoid it, and the same way "bog fix" within the current MHD flash time options attempts to resolve it, by preventing the engine from accelerating when the clutch pedal is pressed in. Which is one of the major triggers.

There is no torque limiter bog if using our NLS but not everyone likes NLS shifting.

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
Not to derail this thread, but since it's on the topic of shift bog, how would you know for sure that you're experiencing it? Is it a guarantee that it occurs in a 6MT car in a high rpm shift, or is it hit or miss with some vehicles and the logs must be inspected? What specifically in the log is indicative of it? Is it the throttle closure, or the flat lined timing?

Terry appears to be avoiding it by intercepting/blocking the clutch switch, but it's also been mentioned that a WOTBOX using NLS avoids it as well. Is it the combination of clutch in/lift throttle that causes it above a certain rpm, and simply removing the DME from seeing that combination (in whichever way) avoids the issue? If that's not the case, how does using a WOTBOX prevent it?

It's extremely slow boost recovery. You'll usually get it when you hit the redline during a shift hence why the wot box works as a band aid fix. You set the wotbox rev limiter lower then the limiter in the flash and you use the NLS. The only problem with using the wotbox is you might interrupt a charging coil.