Doc Race Billet Coolant Overflow Tank

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
My guess is making a rectangular coolant reservoir is not the issue. It is probably being able to sell it as a 'clean kit' that is the problem. I am guessing you need to extend the harness and potentially use some OEM BMW connectors they do not sell etc.

Then again their intake manifold requires the end user to hack up their OEM harness to extend it so maybe there is something else?

Reactions: JimboFresh206

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Is the stock plastic tank not strong enough?

I've had a stock one explode. I heard it happen as I walked in from the garage. Strangely, I knew exactly what it was when it happened.

• Wow
Reactions: JBacon335

JBacon335

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Toms River, NJ
Ride
07 335i Sedan, 1988 Mustang GT
Holy shit man, I would have never expected a full on separation like that. I'm happy I don't have the plastic tank anymore after seeing that

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I see it this way, better the plastic tank than something else which would get expensive, there must have been something wrong with your overflow for it to do that, either blocked or not working correctly.

Consider it a sacrificial part and much cheaper than a head gasket.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The cap releases any excess pressure so it shouldn't do that that's what its there for and we have those temps here in Oz all the time
with no issues.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
The cap releases any excess pressure so it shouldn't do that that's what its there for and we have those temps here in Oz all the time
with no issues.

And if the gas escaping exceeds a certain threshold above the maximum volume allowed by cap?

Edit: Keep in mind this is not uncommon in Vegas with these engines. I remember speaking to a tech prior to mine popping telling me he deals with a handful of them every summer.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: JBacon335

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
drive normal for the last 5 min of your journey and stay of the boost and let it cool down and we have been hitting 115f on a daily basis here this summer

Do a pressure test on the cooling system just to check if you possibly don't have a cyl to water leak or might be getting a small head lift depending on how much boost your running.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus and MDORPHN

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
drive normal for the last 5 min of your journey and stay of the boost and let it cool down and we have been hitting 115f on a daily basis here this summer

Do a pressure test on the cooling system just to check if you possibly don't have a cyl to water leak or might be getting a small head lift depending on how much boost your running.

This was ages ago and I knew it was from being an old plastic container. Tests stopped there at obvious conclusion but there may have been a 1-2% chance it was something other than that. Took the risk

Lol
Vegas 115 is a bit different then Aussie 115 f

Zero water in the air and 2500 ft above sea level

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
This was ages ago and I knew it was from being an old plastic container. Tests stopped there at obvious conclusion but there may have been a 1-2% chance it was something other than that. Took the risk

Lol
Vegas 115 is a bit different then Aussie 115 f

Zero water in the air and 2500 ft above sea level

I don't have the stock tank anymore but from memory the pressure relief on the cap was higher than typical on other cars. Still, BMW will have designed the relief to be way under the tank rating. So either the plastic weakened with time, the pressure relief isnt working properly / line blocked or both.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
This isn't some rare occurrence out here. The first billet reservoir designed for the N54 was made by a company in Vegas. It's over 100 F at midnight in the summer. The area next to us is called DEATH valley. CIC head units also fail if you don't take precautions. In other words, it's hot as fuck and if you have just a tad too much fluid in the tank it will explode as soon as you cross city limits. Ok, maybe too far but yea.