DOC Race intake manifold group buy discussion

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Are they going to supply a chargepipe?

I think they would have to, otherwise each person would have to have a shop fab one up. No reason to let all those companies make the money...and the customer would benefit obviously. Probably best for everyone and make it connect to a 3" up pipe. More sales for doc race.

Does anyone remember the n54 throttle body size? Probably not the best place to find gains, I was just curious.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2016
Ride
2010 e90 335i
I think they would have to, otherwise each person would have to have a shop fab one up. No reason to let all those companies make the money...and the customer would benefit obviously. Probably best for everyone and make it connect to a 3" up pipe. More sales for doc race.

Does anyone remember the n54 throttle body size? Probably not the best place to find gains, I was just curious.

Yeah well I think it's ridiculous if they didn't supply one. And as far as I know any other forward facing manifold did not come with a charge pipe in the past. Someone had made the excuse that some fmics fit differently. Well there's only a certain amount of high quality fmics And I don't think they fit that much different. They can test fit each fmic which is rather easy. If youre worried about your $97 ebay fmic not fitting you deserve to pay to have a charge pipe made lol. Just my thoughts

Reactions: boostE92d

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
hugely agree. Let the end user modify the supplied pipe to fit their fmic. That's easy enough even bolt on shade tree wrenchers like myself can do it.

Yeah,I agree above.Adding a 3" charge pipe to cold side intercooler would be a great idea and sell.you don't have to waste time getting one made,plus the down time.think the manifold would sell better with it.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
This may have been discussed before, but wouldn’t it be more desirable to have the PI ports on the intake manifold as close as possible to the intake valves? It would seem the distance between the DOC race manifold PI ports and the intake valves could create a fueling lag issue. Just wondering...

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Yeah well I think it's ridiculous if they didn't supply one. And as far as I know any other forward facing manifold did not come with a charge pipe in the past. Someone had made the excuse that some fmics fit differently. Well there's only a certain amount of high quality fmics And I don't think they fit that much different. They can test fit each fmic which is rather easy. If youre worried about your $97 ebay fmic not fitting you deserve to pay to have a charge pipe made lol. Just my thoughts

It would indeed be better to have one supplied. But there would definitely need to be a little work between the end of this chargepipe and whatever FMIC the customer has. This would probably be manageable however. This is the argument that Fab Factory made when they sold their manifolds.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
No doubt the fabfactory manifold flows well and is a work of art, but I always felt that was just such a huge cop-out.

It would indeed be better to have one supplied. But there would definitely need to be a little work between the end of this chargepipe and whatever FMIC the customer has. This would probably be manageable however. This is the argument that Fab Factory made when they sold their manifolds.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
No doubt the fabfactory manifold flows well and is a work of art, but I always felt that was just such a huge cop-out.

I mean anyone who buys this manifold is almost guaranteed to have a 3'' up pipe from their IC. Which would be the BMS or VRSF IC. I can't imagine you can get a 3'' up pipe from IC up to the manifold/engine bay in many locations. A small charge pipe with a 3'' silicone coupler should be fine and give some wiggle room. Or just guarantee it fits one or the other. It's more revenue for DR and significantly less hassle for the customer.

Unless you can make the CP yourself this means you have to pay whatever shop is fabbing it up to also install your IM. Which just adds cost and makes the entire process more complex.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
We had up pipes made for fab factory manifolds for a while now, they are not cheap to make and very time consuming.

There's a single turbo/tft inlet style up pipe and a twin turbo for rb/vtt silicone style inlets up pipe.

Both are very different and pretty pricey because of the labour charge and the extreme tight radius
bends that cant be bent, they have to be made out of alloy donuts.

Lots of welding and pretty much has to be made on the car as its not one size fits all again.

Differences for example

Engine fan 650w or 850w slightly different
manual or auto
radiator factory or aftermarket
style of BOV or BPV

20170920_204842.jpg 20170716_161858.jpg

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
The first picture looks like there is no intercooler? Second looks pretty nice.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
This is the final incarnation of the pipe and the finished product what we made.

The IC is a work of art and absolutely expensive to make but it works

We sold around 16 of them without a single complaint but that's another thread

Just showing you guys that there is no room for error making these pipes.

They are both 3 inch up pipes with basically mm to spare all around.

There is basically no way to mass produce these.

20170716_161858.jpg 20180116_211120.jpg

Reactions: lamia2super

KevinC39

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Ok maybe I missed it but what's the advantage to a forward facing intake manifold like this vs a stock style that enters in the middle?

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
35rwk in the midrange with absolutely no changes to the tune and around 20 rwk as well
when you optimise it for the manifold that's with the ff manifold

the doc race one should be the same or maybe better.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
To answer a question someone sent me

These pipes fit both 1 and 3 series in style but
every car is slightly different.

Just because it fits one it might not fit the next

Each pipe is custom made to the individual setup

This is why no one mass produces these, it just wont work.