N57 DPF on 2014 535d @ 40k miles

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Just got it back from the dealer. Interesting story. Various codes since early summer. First they replaced the NOx sensor, then 3 weeks later another CEL and they replaced the 02 sensor - both of these sensors are mounted behind the DPF. I told the diesel tech that, at 40k, it was like winning the lottery (those two sensors don't die in 40k miles). Couple weeks later ... another CEL. Yep ... so they did the Diesel Particulate Filter. That's about a $4k+ job, including new temperature sensor on the DPF, various hoses, and a subframe drop to do the install.

But it gets better. Dealer tells me it is not under warranty but BMW decided to pay it on Goodwill. Waaaaaa? I don't believe it. Not covered by CPO he says. I ask about emissions warranty. Not covered, he says. So I call BMW NA. They tell me only certain states have emissions warranty. Waaaaaa?

So I go digging ... of course find BMW limited warranty - right there, DPF covered by federal emissions 8 year / 80k miles. Call back BMW NA with a link to their own warranty docs ... WTF. They are confused at the responses and open a case.

It's paid for mind you, but I'd like this to be sorted out ... and my dealer has been good to me, want to make it clear this is a warranty repair on BMW NA and not them.

Why did the DPF fail? Not sure. Wondering what the regen history is. Don't know if the DDE keeps a history. I've read that a faulty engine temp sensor can prevent regens from happening. Makes no sense that a DPF filter fails in 40k miles.

Filippo

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
So 2014 manual, warranty does not asterisk "catalytic converter", which otherwise identical text in 2018 manual asterisk states that on the diesel the DPF is the catalytic converter. On that basis, BMW NA says they are not responsible for the DPF (but did a courtesy replacement). I suspect this would not hold up in court, if someone brought them to court. Of course as long as they are paying, they'll never be taken to court.

Second thing I found out - BMW calls it the Diesel Particulate Filter/Catalyzer ... that's because the pipe actually has two distinct parts - a particulate filter and an oxidizer. The latter is an actual "catalyst". But it is built as one unit.

Filippo

Larynasvai

Nov 25, 2022
Your dealer is some kind of dilettante and is just deceiving you. Nowadays, I notice on the forums that guys talk about how dealers are trying to make money on them by coming up with different problems with the car, and it's sad. It's good that I know how to repair my car myself since I have experience, and so probably thousands of dollars would go to no one knows where. Although, I can contact dpf clean near me once a year to be sure that I will not have problems with the DPF filter later. And then I don't want it. It's costly to repair, and replacing it is also very expensive.

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Your dealer is some kind of dilettante and is just deceiving you. Nowadays, I notice on the forums that guys talk about how dealers are trying to make money on them by coming up with different problems with the car, and it's sad. It's good that I know how to repair my car myself since I have experience, and so probably thousands of dollars would go to no one knows where. Although, I can contact dpf clean near me once a year to be sure that I will not have problems with the DPF filter later. And then I don't want it. It's costly to repair, and replacing it is also very expensive.
Not exactly. Deceiving BMW NA, absolutely. They threw parts at this car under CPO. Not that it did not have real issues, including a CP4 failure. The amount of parts thrown at the car was significant. And unlike most BMW owners, I have access to AOS so I was actually able to see what the dealer told BMW, including "the customer said ..." quotes of things I never said. When I did end up looking that stuff up, I had already sold the car.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
The problem with the bmw diesels is all the emissions equipment and the cost to fix. Hence why I deleted everything on my X5 35D. Better MPG, more HP/TQ, but it is stinky as I did not throw in a cat. I have to pull the codes on the wife's X5 today and I am not looking forward to it. I guarantee emissions related. Probably something shitty to get to and expensive.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I heard from a buddy that once he put the high-flow cat in, the smell was fine on his X5 M57. Wife has an F15 or E70 diesel?

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I heard from a buddy that once he put the high-flow cat in, the smell was fine on his X5 M57. Wife has an F15 or E70 diesel?

Oh yeah my signature was deleted and I am not allowed to have one or you would have seen what my rides are ;)

Both have E70 w/ M57s. I may delete her's and do the cat at some point.

I did mine so long ago and with the MPG gains it has basically paid for itself which is the 1st mod that has ever done that.

65k miles, an extra 3-4mpg, shit adds up.

65k = 3,095.2 gallons of Diesel at 21mpg, which amounts to a fuel cost of $12,380.95.
65k = 2,653.1 gallons of gas at 24.5mpg, which amounts to a fuel cost of $10,612.24.
Savings of $1,768 my full M57 delete costed just under a grand shipped, I got the tune for free ;)

The fact one or more of the emissions equipment was basically guaranteed to fail during that 65k miles the savings are potentially even higher. + add on no more EGR fumes, I cleaned the intake manifold and walnut blasted the head at the same time so no more carbon build up which is a known issue on the m57. The extra low end tq is a pleasure and the turbo whistle turns heads. I should gift myself a XHP tranny tune for XMASS...

Full delete adds 108hp and 187tq at the crank or so they claim.

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
@Torgus if you decide to go catted delete, let me know ... there is a specific cat choice you want to make as I understand it. I'll ask my buddy, who did his wife's M57 X5.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
@Torgus if you decide to go catted delete, let me know ... there is a specific cat choice you want to make as I understand it. I'll ask my buddy, who did his wife's M57 X5.

https://www.rawtekinc.com/products/bmw-x5d-2009-2013-dpf-delete-kit?variant=3256978112536 <--This is the company I used, WOW their prices have increased!

"optional high flow Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC) from GESi, for those who want to cut down on the extra diesel smell."

$360 + $40 install = $400 to get rid of the smell...