E82 N55 DCT w/M3 GTS

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I don't quite remember if the flag comes up without kickdown on M. I *think* it does when you push up on the shifter and everything is ready. Make sure you're in mode 6 and car isn't rolling at all.

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
2011 135i N55 DCT GTX1000
I don't quite remember if the flag comes up without kickdown on M. I *think* it does when you push up on the shifter and everything is ready. Make sure you're in mode 6 and car isn't rolling at all.
That may have been the issue was rolling, but I tried in a couple spots and definitely stopped rolling so idk. A little bummed, but without an LSD yet I'm not sure it would do much anyways lol

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
Someone in a facebook group suggested I may just need to push the brake down harder, so I'll report back after I get a chance to try that.

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
Foot on the brake, mash the go pedal...
Must be in drivelogic 6 and the car must be warm, and not rolling.
I tried again with no luck. I tried pushing the brake harder before pushing the shifter forward and still no flag, so I tried hitting the gas and it just started to try and take off before cutting the throttle and releasing the clutch. I'm pretty confident at this point that I'm engaging correctly and it must be hardware or software related. Kinds confusing cause I haven't seen anyone else have issues with it not working from the get go.

tsanford

Lurker
Apr 15, 2020
I tried again with no luck. I tried pushing the brake harder before pushing the shifter forward and still no flag, so I tried hitting the gas and it just started to try and take off before cutting the throttle and releasing the clutch. I'm pretty confident at this point that I'm engaging correctly and it must be hardware or software related. Kinds confusing cause I haven't seen anyone else have issues with it not working from the get go.

I've read that launch control does not engage when kickdown is disabled.

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
I've read that launch control does not engage when kickdown is disabled.
You're correct there, but I don't have my kickdown disabled. I wish it was that simple lol
I've been busy with work and life lately so I haven't had time to retest or update my diy.
Don't worry everyone, I'm still thinking about you guys 😄

• Sad
Reactions: derekgates

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
Guys it works! And it adjusts!
Idk what I was doing wrong before but I'm leaning towards it being an issue of rolling. So I stuck myself in a pothole and tried it and boom, flag up! Then I cautiously hit the gas ready to lift and it revved to 3500 so I played with the cruise stalk and got down to like 1800 and started coming back up and I suspect I rolled a little cause it went away as I got back to about 2500rpm. I'm so happy right now 😁😁😁
20200501_152442.jpg

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Guys it works! And it adjusts!
Idk what I was doing wrong before but I'm leaning towards it being an issue of rolling. So I stuck myself in a pothole and tried it and boom, flag up! Then I cautiously hit the gas ready to lift and it revved to 3500 so I played with the cruise stalk and got down to like 1800 and started coming back up and I suspect I rolled a little cause it went away as I got back to about 2500rpm. I'm so happy right now 😁😁😁View attachment 37268

What an awesome conversion. This kicks all the ass.

• Love
Reactions: azshantris

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
Here's a quick little video of doing a throttle controlled kick down (quick stomp then lift to drop to power gear) and then rolling through a couple gears. I still want a bigger turbo 😪
I'll get more of manual shifting after I mount up my gopro. And launch control when I get a good chance to. I'm currently working on a custom tune from Steven at Wedge 😁
Good news bad new though I'm a working full time student so my time for some of this stuff varies. But I'm getting paid do online classes at home 😬
I swear I'm still gonna get around to adding my coding diy portion.

MilkBags

Lurker
Feb 28, 2018
Montreal, Canada
Ride
2011 135i N55 DCT
@azshantris I am currently working on this on my N55 135i with the M3 diff.

Any chance you could post your notes for the coding? I swapped the GWS today (already had the KOMBI from a while back) and attempted the coding from information I gathered on this forum but I am still not getting the bigger symbols (P,N,D,M) on the KOMBI and have that tach dropping to 0 issue like mentioned here by @derekgates. I can change gears though. I see it was resolved here but I am not sure what "searched for all phrases including "Gear Indicator" (SPA) and enabled them all" means.

Basically I've followed this and this minus the CIC stuff since I don't have it.

Any help?

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
@azshantris I am currently working on this on my N55 135i with the M3 diff.

Any chance you could post your notes for the coding? I swapped the GWS today (already had the KOMBI from a while back) and attempted the coding from information I gathered on this forum but I am still not getting the bigger symbols (P,N,D,M) on the KOMBI and have that tach dropping to 0 issue like mentioned here by @derekgates. I can change gears though. I see it was resolved here but I am not sure what "searched for all phrases including "Gear Indicator" (SPA) and enabled them all" means.

Basically I've followed this and this minus the CIC stuff since I don't have it.

Any help?
Check this one out. I'm trying to remember exactly what it was but I recall playing with the motorsport and rpm settings and one was different from what others had used.
So basically I searched "rpm" in my manipulation file and changed the suffix to "02". See if that doesn't work for ya.
I've been a terrible bum about putting my own coding guide in 😅😅

Reactions: aus335iguy

MilkBags

Lurker
Feb 28, 2018
Montreal, Canada
Ride
2011 135i N55 DCT
Check this one out. I'm trying to remember exactly what it was but I recall playing with the motorsport and rpm settings and one was different from what others had used.
So basically I searched "rpm" in my manipulation file and changed the suffix to "02". See if that doesn't work for ya.
I've been a terrible bum about putting my own coding guide in 😅😅

I solved it. I used "02" as well for DZM_DISP_RPM. I haven't started the car yet since it's in pieces but I see the big P when the ignition is on. It wasn't clear to me that you have to use NCS Dummy to do these changes. I was trying to do it with the BMW Coding Tool + NCS Expert but it wouldn't actually save the changes.

Thanks!

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
Smallish update for anyone interested, I've been running a custom TCU flash from @Olza for a few months or so now and everything responds dramatically better, and it was good before.
So I'm a happy camper, just need the mullah for a fat turbo and an LSD 😁

And one of these days I should come back and finish a coding thread still 😅😬

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
What happened to the coding update? 😉

Couple of questions,

1. Is the m3 cluster required to use the m3 gws?

2. Since you replaced the sport button, when does sport mode get activated as far as MHD is concerned? For example in MHD flash settings, if you have burbles activated in sport mode, and disabled in normal mode, can you still do that with your new button or is that function pretty much gone?

3. Did this issue you discussed get resolved with an update from olza? “There are a few quirks that I'm not sure are issues such as if you get on it a little and then lift as it tries to shift it will actually rev up like it's in neutral for a second and then come back down. “

4. Does the parking lock ever engage with the m3 gws?

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
What happened to the coding update? 😉

Couple of questions,

1. Is the m3 cluster required to use the m3 gws?

2. Since you replaced the sport button, when does sport mode get activated as far as MHD is concerned? For example in MHD flash settings, if you have burbles activated in sport mode, and disabled in normal mode, can you still do that with your new button or is that function pretty much gone?

3. Did this issue you discussed get resolved with an update from olza? “There are a few quirks that I'm not sure are issues such as if you get on it a little and then lift as it tries to shift it will actually rev up like it's in neutral for a second and then come back down. “

4. Does the parking lock ever engage with the m3 gws?
😅😅😅

1. No you don't need an M3 cluster necessarily, but the 1 series smaller display I believe can't fit the large indicators and shiftlogic meter. A regular 3 series would work.

2. In my experience it seems that there isn't a differentiation between "normal" and "sport" anymore so I just always have burbles. But I set them to 3k+ so it's easy to stay away if I want.

3. I never did get that figured out. So far it hasn't been an issue in any case, just a noticeable difference in the little over-rev vs immediately slowing back down.

4. Yes, but it is automatically activated when the car is shut off. There is no longer a button to control it. Although I did toy with the idea of adding one. I just use my parking brake anyways. I often leave it running in neutral to run in and grab snacks 😋

Reactions: houtan