E89 Z4 Atacama Yellow Build

• Login, members don't see Ads!

RV8R

Mar 19, 2019
I bought Bimmer-tech's amp and speakers. The Speakers were an improvement with the stock amp, though the door speakers don't fit in the stock enclosures. B-tech told me to cut the stock enclosures, which I didn't like the sound of. I rotated the speaker and used two mounting holes. That fit, and I'll add a third support when I get a few extra minutes. My car is hifi so I added tweeters to the center and rear channels. When I installed the bimmer-tech amp it sounded worse than stock and the foot well speakers were gone. I live a couple hours from their Orlando operation so they sent me yesterday to a tuner near them who is a DSP wiz. Until now, they haven't had a tune for the Z4 available. Unfortunately for you, my amp is the PP86DSP, I have no idea if the tune works in your 82. Footwell speakers work, tune is a bit bright and the stage is forward as you'd expect with that center channel still on, but all in all it sounds great in my car. I'll be doing some tweaking, but it's a very good starting point.

Unlike the F30's where there are many tunes online to find, nobody really talks about audio in the Z4's. So since this is the only place discussing these things that I can find, this seems like the proper place to share the stock e89 tune which I suspect Bimmer-tech will be sending out with the amp from now on. Remove the .pdf from the end.

Attachments

fmorelli

Colonel
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
@RV8R this is fantastic. Yeah only @Lurcher has done a Z4 tune that I know of. I'm hoping to wrap up getting my interior back together as spring starts to warm up. Garage has not been pleasant until now.

I have a calibration mic and, once together, was hoping to get @Lurcher out this way for an afternoon and dinner. If not, worse case, I'll coerce him to work with me remotely. My setup has a lot of weird stuff to it, so I'm afraid no setup is really going to work without specific tuning to the car.

So the only speakers you swapped were the Bav kit? (mid/tweets in front, center in front, and mids in back)

Filippo

RV8R

Mar 19, 2019
My speakers are the alpha one’s from Bimmertech. 5 mids, 5 tweeters and subs. I haven’t installed the subs yet as removing that back wall wasn’t something I wanted to tackle until I was sure I was going to keep the system. It’s pretty pricey and until the tune was sorted, sounded pretty horrible. It sounds great now and I’ll likely swap out the subs soon.

The stock tune with any of these amps is horrible, so don't let that get you down. We don't have a big sample size and everyone is using different versions of the same amp - so sound files won't play well. I'm using the audison bit 8.9, with a mis-match of speakers. The footwell speakers not working is well documented by Fillipo and what he did (basically losing center channel for footwells) - same thing my installers did. The z4 is "special"..... Have fun with replacing those subs - just not worth it to me vs the sweet, sweet engine sounds....

fmorelli

Colonel
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ok parts arrived for the next segment of work. Phase 3 of the car includes turbos, outlets, twin disc clutch. Phase 4 will address further rear end work to help manage new power. Part of that will be subframe changes (mostly in mounting), and changes to rear suspension members and tires. We want to be able to run 285 or possibly 295 rear tires. For that we are prepping an adjustable upper rear control arm. By having adjustability in both the rear camber arm (lower) and rear control arm (upper) it allows us to have so ability to fine tune the fitment of the tire in the wheel well.

Here are two photos of the rear arms. The second is just a rough graphic edit to see how this will go together. Left and right hand threads with a jam nut, two bosses, one welded ot the arm, the other welded to a sleeve in which the ball joints slide in. The arm will be cut and reinforced with box steel, where the boss will then be welded.

Filippo

Seb335i

Jun 14, 2019
Finally, I'm fed up with solving how to get streaming audio to this system, as the BMW Combox A2DP can't seem to get to the Professional HU - at least I've found no one that knows how to program this (if it is possible).
Filippo
What is your original set up and VO Code ? You need to have 6NF for A2DP streaming.

Seb335i

Jun 14, 2019
To have BT audio you juste need a working NSC Expert
add $6NF to your FA then VO code both CIC and Combox et voila

• 1Like
Reactions: fmorelli