E9X E93 M Performance f30 retrofit kit Review

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
This is a review of the F30M performance retrofit kit for e9x 335i cars. See video.

There are several issues on install. No perceived performance gains so far.

1. kit is supposed to fit 18 inch and larger - 18 inch wheels will rub the pad and scrape paint off a little.
2. kit does not fit rear wheel carrier - you have to dremel off corners of the carrier to allow bolt to slide past
3. brake sensor does not fit e93 connector - unusable.
4. no perceivable brake performance gains yet.
5. m3 rotor included does not have matching rotor screw holes so you have to use wheel lug bolts to attach rotor to wheel and hub.

VERY EXPENSIVE for what it doesn't do.

Last edited:

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
M3 rotor is 4lbs over normal rotor ecs two piece. However, caliper is 4 lbs lighter than stock caliper. So heavier rotating mass and lighter caliper. A loss in performance I would guess.
20190727_105233.jpg
20190727_105334.jpg
20190727_110751.jpg
20190727_110814.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Jeffman

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
What kind of performance gain were you expecting from upgraded brakes? Is a common misconception that bigger brakes will stop quicker. The best performance mod for shorter stopping distances is better tires.

With abbk you should see improvement in fade resistance, especially in heavy user such as on the track.

Also, expecting it to fit '18s or larger' is another misconception. My Apex ec7s clear my ap racing 356mm kit with no problems, but my buddy's M style 18s had the caliper hit the wheel weights.

I was going to order a brembo 6piston 410mm setup for the wife's Escalade, but when I used the caliper template they provide, no chance. After closer inspection, her stock brakes have only a 1/4 inch of space with the wheels she runs and they are 24s!

Wheel style, concavity, and offset play in just as much as diameter does.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Ou this is an ecs kit?

Yes. There is an update: The back of the brake pads will rub against your inner wheel if you do not use a center punch tool and hammer to make sure the pad lock rods are totally hammered into place.

So they do actually fit 18's if you hammer in the lock rods for the pads. I will make an updated video soon.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
VT, I must say I really enjoy your videos. If you start a YouTube channel I will be your first subscriber.

Reactions: matreyia

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I'm guessing over stock its lighter or same weight but the ecs 2 piece rotors are very nice. Also really need to change master cylinder to get full benefit when increasing piston area. Pad is most important along with tire compound for stopping distance and feel, fluid and rotor size are for fade like langsbr said and caliper is combo of all "less flex helps consistency ,even pressure application from multiple pistons sized properly , ability to isolate heat from fluid , pad size for longevity not performance" if within thermal limits a pad half the size with the same amount of pressure applied will stop just as hard as a pad twice the size with same amount of pressure, sometimes actually can be worse due to dust and gas buildup.

• Informative

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I mounted the two-piece ECS rotors a few months ago and like them a lot. I can feel a difference - lower unsprung weight compared to stock. And they look cool too poking through my silver Apex ARC-8s. Now I just need to refresh my stock rotors and install my MSport front bumper that was just delivered this morning.
2C06D1F4-16A3-4447-87D2-A31F46574DC1.jpeg

Reactions: Torgus and matreyia

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Ok, today the rear upgraded brakes saved my ass so I ordered the front performance kit arriving next week.

There was a guy who cut across two left lanes to make a right turn. I literally slammed on brakes when I saw his car smack in front of mine. And thank god it stopped on a dime.

Still he clipped my front bumper and ripped the invisishield film of the edge of the front bumper. So now I have to reinstall the film. Thank zeus that I had the film installed...otherwise I'd have to repaint the new bumper.

• Wow

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Ok, today the rear upgraded brakes saved my ass so I ordered the front performance kit arriving next week.

There was a guy who cut across two left lanes to make a right turn. I literally slammed on brakes when I saw his car smack in front of mine. And thank god it stopped on a dime.

Still he clipped my front bumper and ripped the invisishield film of the edge of the front bumper. So now I have to reinstall the film. Thank zeus that I had the film installed...otherwise I'd have to repaint the new bumper.
That's insane

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Update: Rear M Performance Brakes are settling in very nicely and I can feel the improved braking modulation and even a noticeable braking distance improvement. - But...even so, I would not recommend them because if you have 18 inch wheels, you can't get front set to match AND even though there is improvement in braking distance and feel, it is not enough to justify the price.

Update on Front M Performance Brake Kit: I ordered and tried to install ECS Tuning Front 18 inch wheel size M Performance Brake kit and it did not fit. The caliper was too big and I could not even mount the wheel after installing caliper. I tried both calipers on the same wheel just in case and neither one fit. I tried using 10 mm spacer and that did nothing. So I returned the kit to them. A bit sad now that I won't have matching M Performance brakes for the car.

So now I am going to order Rotora Street Challenge BBK for 18 inch wheel size. 6 piston kit, true 2 piece rotors. They are having a summer sale. Front kit is now $1650 on sale over normal price of $3k. I heard decent reviews of Rotora so I'll give them a try. Anyone who has Street Challenge Kit installed is encouraged to chime in and let me know your thoughts.

Cheers.
ECS 18 BBK.jpg

Reactions: doublespaces

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Damn, VT! It looks so close! I wonder if a different wheel style would fit?
Damn.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Damn, VT! It looks so close! I wonder if a different wheel style would fit?
Damn.

No idea... the fact that spacers did not do a thing doesn't help that idea though. I just ordered Street Challenge Rotora BBK Fronts in Metallic Blue. Will receive in 12 days.

Dark Blue.jpg
Disc Type Options.jpg
Front 1.jpg

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I've been using the ecs rotors with hawk 5.0 pads for over two years, looks great and stops even better.

Highly recommended.

IMG_1942[1].jpg

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
But...even so, I would not recommend them because if you have 18 inch wheels, you can't get front set to match ...

Update on Front M Performance Brake Kit: I ordered and tried to install ECS Tuning Front 18 inch wheel size M Performance Brake kit and it did not fit.

I didn't think there was a difference in the size of the kits ECS sells, just that they randomly different wheel sizes in the description (it looks like the same rotors/calipers).

Which wheels are you using? Pretty sure the Apex EC-7s or either of their new forged barrel designs in 18s should fit 380mm brembo kits.

Bout to order some more stuff from EOS, should ask them if they're still selling those kits...

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I didn't think there was a difference in the size of the kits ECS sells, just that they randomly different wheel sizes in the description (it looks like the same rotors/calipers).

Which wheels are you using? Pretty sure the Apex EC-7s or either of their new forged barrel designs in 18s should fit 380mm brembo kits.

Bout to order some more stuff from EOS, should ask them if they're still selling those kits...

Stock BMW 313 OE Genuine 18 inch wheels...bought from ECS Tuning.