Engine building tips

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
So let me ask you all, you guys are building blocks with forged parts,but not going to push it, these motors are living at 700. If your turbo isn't making these numbers, why spend the money on forged parts when oem has been proven? I could define to see is you plan on hitting higher numbers, I read a few builds, most go with forged pistons,but make 500 hp. We're is the weak spot on these motors?

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
So let me ask you all, you guys are building blocks with forged parts,but not going to push it, these motors are living at 700. If your turbo isn't making these numbers, why spend the money on forged parts when oem has been proven? I could define to see is you plan on hitting higher numbers, I read a few builds, most go with forged pistons,but make 500 hp. We're is the weak spot on these motors?
My goal is to push the limits, I have the precision 6870 turbo which is rated for 1200 and I'm going to be running a 50shot of nitrous. The goal is to hit triple digits, but the main goal is to get the 1/4 mile record which is going to be very hard to do being in the location I'm at and having to race at the second highest elevation tracks in America.

As far as weak spots there's no real answer, my piston ring let go which is why I started this build where others ran into different issues.

Reactions: JuniorB

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
Did you mean quadruple digits? I too am striving for the 1000hp mark and have built my motor accordingly. I have the ARP head studs and have never heard any issues about them. Only the modified studs Alex was using on his punisher motors. Which A/R did you decide to go with on your 6870?

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
Did you mean quadruple digits? I too am striving for the 1000hp mark and have built my motor accordingly. I have the ARP head studs and have never heard any issues about them. Only the modified studs Alex was using on his punisher motors. Which A/R did you decide to go with on your 6870?
Haha ya, I do mean quadruple, had a dumb moment. Crap I can't remember the a/r now, I believe it's a 1.00

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
I am not using a single turbo. I am going with GC twins. Which means i will have 600 torque on low rpm. That is the reason for my built engine. Weak part is rods with bend. And people have had pistons and ringlands break. So at 132k i planned a rebuild anyways and just want to do it all at once. Also have room in the future.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
What are your plans for it
Keep the power in the 650-700 range and enjoy it. If I ever get bored maybe I'll piece a built shortblock together and do rods/pistons. I'm really not trying to build the motor though.

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
With a single your fine. Just only having fun at 4500 rpm. Twins you would need to build.