Engine malfunction, power reduced, yet....no codes

Jin

Lurker
Apr 24, 2019
Ride
07 335i
Ok, I'll explain, it's a small story.

So long overdue (from previous owner) the car needed a nut job because; maintenance at a performance shop that specializes in BMWs, even some of the mechanics had 335 so I felt at home (still do btw).

Before hand, the car was boosting "well" felt "powerful", anyway, AFTER the nut job the car would throw a constant code of P0238 Powertrain Turbo/Super Charger Boost Sensor "A" Circuit High (code read through obd2 link and pro torque app, code was also affirmed through the performance shop reader.)

So one of the mechanics/335i driver decided to let me borrow there tmap sensor. So now that I have the sensor that presumed to work in hand, I decided to upgrade from the underground racing intake (which was RIDICULOUSLY dirty) to some fresh DCIs, upgraded the charger pipe and while was at it , add on the would-be-working Tmap sensor (upgrades where from armed). Super excited to see this new power I get down the street for a test pull....an well....*bloom* power reduced, same code....

So I call the shop to explain, they told me to come over, they cleared it, get about another mile and *bloom* it's back. I've reached fuck it...

So I'm taking my family on a outing during the time I would cut the car off at a stop light, the code and engine light would clear till I started driving for that day. NOW this is when it gets weird, the day after the code wouldn't generate at all so i took advantage of the moment to feel what the power is like and holy shit its nuts....until I hit 3rd gear then *bloom* it's back...

So to sum this up, the car would start up, no codes till driven hard (full pull in 3rd gear) *bloom* power reduced but there's no codes.

Sorry story was actually long, but I'm trying not to leave anything out, an oh, thanks for the invite!

Edit* I also ordered a fresh tmap from fcp, gonna try that, if that doesn't work then....I'm going to the dealership...

Seaneezy

Corporal
Mar 12, 2018
Ride
e90 LCI 335i
My car was pulling the boost sensor overload code and throwing the idrive failure message when I tried to completely remove MHD software and flash back to stock. I was using a 3.5bar N20 sensor with the adapter from BMS (I did not have to pin swap). Fixed it by flashing the stage 0 map on MHD (stock power) and now it runs like butter. I know BMS had the tendency to give you the wrong sensor, 4bars instead of 3.5bar, check the labeling on the sensor itself. Try flashing with the 3.5bar and/or the 4bar options in MHD to see if it helps.

Reactions: Jin

Jin

Lurker
Apr 24, 2019
Ride
07 335i
You have a JB4 auto clearing codes?
Sorry, I failed to mention after all that I am not tune yet completely stock tune wise. I plan on going jb4 at the end of the month if money allows it, so I'm using the stock (2.5) tmap.

Thanks for the reply!

Jin

Lurker
Apr 24, 2019
Ride
07 335i
Another thought, is it possible that the tmap "works" but the the code is a hard code that needs to be cleared by a better code reader? It just doesn't make any sense that the lights on and no codes

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Another thought, is it possible that the tmap "works" but the the code is a hard code that needs to be cleared by a better code reader? It just doesn't make any sense that the lights on and no codes

If you have an SES light on and the code reader is not showing codes then get a better code reader. My suggestion is grab a bimmergeeks cable and MHD regardless of if you plan on tuning. Tough to own an N54 without the proper ability to read codes.

If savvy with computers, INPA and the software suite BMW uses is available online free but theres a learning curve. Took me about 7-8 hours before I was up and running / familiar with software (I'm kind of simple tho). You'll still need an OBD to USB cable

Jin

Lurker
Apr 24, 2019
Ride
07 335i
If you have an SES light on and the code reader is not showing codes then get a better code reader. My suggestion is grab a bimmergeeks cable and MHD regardless of if you plan on tuning. Tough to own an N54 without the proper ability to read codes.

If savvy with computers, INPA and the software suite BMW uses is available online free but theres a learning curve. Took me about 7-8 hours before I was up and running / familiar with software (I'm kind of simple tho). You'll still need an OBD to USB cable
Will I be able to read the codes with a jb4 unit and app, seems like getting the jb4 is inevitable at this point, but it'll do me good in the long run.

Also gonna take a peak at the INPA and the software, those I'm not too savvy myself ( I feel your pain) as for the obd to USB, I think I can see the one I have now from Saab, so .

Thank you guys for the replies, I've had more replies here then a combine of all 3 FB forums I'm part of.

Jin

Lurker
Apr 24, 2019
Ride
07 335i
Well the shop I go to swear by jb4, so maybe their pushing it because they sale it? But, I guess I don't known how to use mhd, like what is it that I need to get started.

I have the mhd app, but what do i need to tune it. But I guess overall, what makes them different?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
As you have the app, do you have the OBD-II cable (bimmergeeks is same quality, btw) to connect MHD to the car?

Tell us about the car - year, miles, any known service history. Factory diverter valves or aftermarket blow-off valve?

I know you like your shop, but I'm curious why they didn't resolve this issue? Also ... sorry don't know what a "nut job" is ... and just to be clear from your description ... you say it was boosting well before the work, but not after?

Filippo

Jin

Lurker
Apr 24, 2019
Ride
07 335i
As you have the app, do you have the OBD-II cable (bimmergeeks is same quality, btw) to connect MHD to the car?

Tell us about the car - year, miles, any known service history. Factory diverter valves or aftermarket blow-off valve?

I know you like your shop, but I'm curious why they didn't resolve this issue? Also ... sorry don't know what a "nut job" is ... and just to be clear from your description ... you say it was boosting well before the work, but not after?

Filippo

2007 335i 154,xxx miles, maintenance is unknown being that I had to pay $1500 in repairs to get it to pass VA state inspection.

Sorry, read the term "nut job" on the forum and used it thinking it was a normally used word here, but that was in reference to a walnut blast.

I also have the tial BOV, upgraded charge pipe, DICs and plan on upgrading the IC this weekend if weather permits.

As for the shop, they told me to get the 3.5 bar t-map and get the jb4 to mate them and it should clear the issue, but I'm still very confused as to how a walnut blast would cause this.

Noting the OBD2 cable, is it a cable that connects from car to PC or is it from car to phone?

Thanks for the reply!

Lurcher

Sergeant
Apr 6, 2018
Dallas, TX but soon to be Cocoa Beach FL
Ride
2012 z4
May be a stupid coincidence - but how many miles on the plugs/coils? My bad coils never had codes until absolutely hammering it one night. They are a wear item.

Yes, the cable is for connecting to a phone/tablet for MHD connectivity. "Nut job" means many things :cool: ......

Troubleshooting needing a walnut blast or injectors can be tricky, they can have similar attributes. A walnut blast on this engine is another preventative maintenance item on these engines, so easy to start there (with coils/plugs too).

Jin

Lurker
Apr 24, 2019
Ride
07 335i
May be a stupid coincidence - but how many miles on the plugs/coils? My bad coils never had codes until absolutely hammering it one night. They are a wear item.

Yes, the cable is for connecting to a phone/tablet for MHD connectivity. "Nut job" means many things :cool: ......

Troubleshooting needing a walnut blast or injectors can be tricky, they can have similar attributes. A walnut blast on this engine is another preventative maintenance item on these engines, so easy to start there (with coils/plugs too).
The miles are st 154,xxx so I have no clue about the plugs/coils but I'll take a look at It after I drop the car off at BMW to see if they can clear the code an see if that t-map can actually function.

Thanks for the reply!

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
The mods you chose are good, but will be best suited paired with a tune. They are not going to do much for you with factory dme settings. At this point you are needing a code reader and a tuner. Id just pick one and move on

Jin

Lurker
Apr 24, 2019
Ride
07 335i
The mods you chose are good, but will be best suited paired with a tune. They are not going to do much for you with factory dme settings. At this point you are needing a code reader and a tuner. Id just pick one and move on
Roger that, I'm waiting on my bimmergeeks cable to mate the MHD I'm soon to buy, so I can read the right codes instead of the generic one and get this tune so I can really experience this car!

Thanks for the reply!

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
Roger that, I'm waiting on my bimmergeeks cable to mate the MHD I'm soon to buy, so I can read the right codes instead of the generic one and get this tune so I can really experience this car!

Thanks for the reply!
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwabe...41MqKXeCUWJWy8n0CmGmueFZWSIKSqExoCz8YQAvD_BwE.

No problem, hope you get back to full boost soon!
I have enjoyed this lower end scanner for a few years now. You can also test equipment with it and code injectors etc for more DIY type stuff. Its more detailed and covers a lot more of the cars full system diagnostics. Plus you can use it on your other cars.

Jin

Lurker
Apr 24, 2019
Ride
07 335i
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwabe...41MqKXeCUWJWy8n0CmGmueFZWSIKSqExoCz8YQAvD_BwE.

No problem, hope you get back to full boost soon!
I have enjoyed this lower end scanner for a few years now. You can also test equipment with it and code injectors etc for more DIY type stuff. Its more detailed and covers a lot more of the cars full system diagnostics. Plus you can use it on your other cars.
Wow, next month it shall be mine!! And thanks for the link! I'll definitely keep you guys posted if anything major changes! You guys been super supportive!

Jin

Lurker
Apr 24, 2019
Ride
07 335i
Damn it....Ok, I'll try to abbreviate what has transpired, sorry about the link fail.

So, basically where I'm at now I'll start from where the last convoy with RCBoost2007 which was in short "getting a real scanner". Moving, forward me and fmoreill was trying to figure out the issue which I've mention about the codes that I couldn't read with the scanner I was using which then I decided to go to BMW and have them scan it which they found the 30FF code which baffled me at first until they explained where they found the leak which was located on the charge pipe *sigh* which was where the meth injection ports were located, there was suppose to be 2 bolts plugging the holes so they must of blew out.

So I then went to a ace hardware store to get 2 more bolts and wrapped those bolts in teflon and plugged it. Now that the port are plugged I should be able to use full boost, super eagered I hop on the interstate, punch it in 3rd *bleh* power reduced....Feeling very annoyed.

So the next day my bimmergeeks cable came in which mean MHD time and a real scanner , so I now have the MHD stage 1+ to compliment the mods posted (armed motor sports inlet pipes upgraded for intercooler posted) so now the codes are scanned and cleared an my guess was it needed to be hard cleared again now with the ports plugged * fingers crossed* initial feeling, 1st gear will yank you if your not ready * noted* . Enter 3rd gear -the moment of truth- *punches it* pulls hard all the way until 4.5 then *bleh* power reduced *feeling defeated*

Here's the weird part.....

So while I was out I decided to stop by the store (note, when I cut the car off and then back on the car is back to "normal " i.e power isn't reduced)
Got what I needed so it was pretty muggy today so I decided to cut the ac on, I'm headed to the traffic light make a turn and just for shits and giggles I punch it in 3rd and..*wait for it* IT MAKES ALL THE BOOST! I'm planted in my seat, my wife's confused as hell an my kids where like "what was that!! I couldn't move!" This was the second time it's done this only because the ac was on.....

Welp, that's where I'm at guys...I'm baffled. The only 2 codes I get are posted below

Thanks again guys, sorry that was suppose to be short but I figured the more descriptive I get the better picture painted. Another note* sorry* what gauges do you guys think is necessary to always have monitored on your mhd.

Attachments

• 20190427_132826.jpg
    20190427_132826.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 20190427_135653.jpg
    20190427_135653.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 20190428_164101.jpg
    20190428_164101.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_20190504-183532.jpg
    Screenshot_20190504-183532.jpg