Engineering parts for a 1000hp Supra

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Not only, but the information flow is fast, fluid, and at the right level for the video. No easy feat. That said, when's the last time you walked down the street to have your pistons and rods custom made! Sheesh ...

Did you note they are ditching the W2A IC? I suspect it just lacks flow capacity for 1,000 crank HP. Side note, I'm not a fan of these DCI solutions pulling air inside the engine compartment, and I think one of the areas not well addressed for N54 cars is pulling clean air to the motor with proper airflow sizing.

Nice video!

Filippo

• Agree
Reactions: tisdrew

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Not only, but the information flow is fast, fluid, and at the right level for the video. No easy feat. That said, when's the last time you walked down the street to have your pistons and rods custom made! Sheesh ...

Did you note they are ditching the W2A IC? I suspect it just lacks flow capacity for 1,000 crank HP. Side note, I'm not a fan of these DCI solutions pulling air inside the engine compartment, and I think one of the areas not well addressed for N54 cars is pulling clean air to the motor with proper airflow sizing.

Nice video!

Filippo

I agree. I have heard rumblings of one company working on this for their turbo kit but have not heard any news on this matter for a while. I think it just isn't very marketable since there are so many configurations. The S65 has really awesome carbon fiber solutions, although they are not so much solutions to a problem but cosmetic mods. They also do not have intake plumbing on the hot side of the engine either so they don't face the same issues.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
I really like that intake manifold they are having made. I will be anxious to see how big of an FMIC they can fit then to go with it and deleting the A2W.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
1000 crank has already been done no? Big Boost made 820 whp. That is almost 1000whp crank. They did it was a master power turbo that flows 90 lb/min. That BW turbo does 94 lb/min so maybe it hits 850whp? Assuming a 15% drivetrain loss 850 x 1.1765 =1000.025 on the nose.

It's cool to say 1000hp but to actually have 1000whp is a big difference.

The last video they said 1000hp and I was VERY skeptical. Looks like I was right and they are just shooting for mid 800s which is not uncharted territory for the B58. I expected more. You can already buy an off the shelf turbo kit and make that.

It is a good video and they give a fair amount of information which I appreciate.

What is this 9k rpm he mentioned? Does he need a stand alone to hit that or can the DME rev that high?

That exhaust manifold looks very simple, as it should be, I imagine top mount turbo kits to be VERY plentiful and affordable.

Last edited:

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
1000 crank has already been done no? Big Boost made 820 whp. That is almost 1000whp crank. They did it was a master power turbo that flows 90 lb/min. That BW turbo does 94 lb/min so maybe it hits 850whp? Assuming a 15% drivetrain loss 850 x 1.1765 =1000.025 on the nose.

It's cool to say 1000hp but to actually have 1000whp is a big difference.

The last video they said 1000hp and I was VERY skeptical. Looks like I was right and they are just shooting for mid 800s which is not uncharted territory for the B58. I expected more. You can already buy an off the shelf turbo kit and make that.

It is a good video and they give a fair amount of information which I appreciate.

What is this 9k rpm he mentioned? Does he need a stand alone to hit that or can the DME rev that high?

That exhaust manifold looks very simple, as it should be, I imagine top mount turbo kits to be VERY plentiful and affordable.

Nah they went with the new EFR black series turbo. The EFR 9280. 73MM inducer 110lb turbo.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Nah they went with the new EFR black series turbo. The EFR 9280. 73MM inducer 110lb turbo.

Ah my bad then I take most of that all back ;) 110lb should get them closer. I still want to know about this 9k rpm he mentioned...

Omar@VaderSolutions

Lieutenant
Premium Vendor
Oct 19, 2016
NY & AZ
vadersolution.com
Ride
N54 135i & N54 335i
imagine people like this were into the BMW platform... the amount of aftermarket we would have today would be far beyond what we have now... the guy made a god damn front facing dual plenum manifold already and the car just came out a week ago.. where was this innovation for the n54 when it first dropped ..smh either way i love this video lol

• Funny
Reactions: Abacus38

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
imagine people like this were into the BMW platform... the amount of aftermarket we would have today would be far beyond what we have now... the guy made a god damn front facing dual plenum manifold already and the car just came out a week ago.. where was this innovation for the n54 when it first dropped ..smh either way i love this video lol

Everybody knows N54 owners won't drop money like that lol

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly

I don't think anything starting with the MEVD DME going forward, especially these newer MG1 use a one byte rpm for anything limiting. That was 0xFF (255 dec) with X*32 scaling which gave the 8160 limit found in MSD8x.

That said, many parts in the head are certainly not up to that task and it'll be interesting to see if they can solve it and keep valvetronic.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
When the N54 came out it would cost about $10 million to punch out a muscle car body in carbon fiber out of an autoclave ... and yet today. Fact of the matter is that product design, prototype, etc cycle is 10-100x cheaper than it was a decade ago.

Filippo

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
When the N54 came out it would cost about $10 million to punch out a muscle car body in carbon fiber out of an autoclave ... and yet today. Fact of the matter is that product design, prototype, etc cycle is 10-100x cheaper than it was a decade ago.

Filippo
Also it's just facts when n54 came out people werent dragging BMW's. They were balanced track machines and usually only m cars were really modified at great expense. Their were nice kits for the s54 etc but noone knew the potential the motor had. It was normal to expect the block to have to be built to break 500 people were speculating if would pop at 400 when the jb hot pill came out. Result was it wasnt purchased for modding , people with the budget bought an m car if bmw was their poison. Now that BMW made the tuner world recognize them they would be dumb to not capitalize and keep building stout bottom ends that allow large gains. They are building a new generation of second hand users that will buy a bmw new when they get real money as long as bmw doesnt mess up their engines.

Reactions: fmorelli

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Also it's just facts when n54 came out people werent dragging BMW's. They were balanced track machines and usually only m cars were really modified at great expense. Their were nice kits for the s54 etc but noone knew the potential the motor had. It was normal to expect the block to have to be built to break 500 people were speculating if would pop at 400 when the jb hot pill came out. Result was it wasnt purchased for modding , people with the budget bought an m car if bmw was their poison. Now that BMW made the tuner world recognize them they would be dumb to not capitalize and keep building stout bottom ends that allow large gains. They are building a new generation of second hand users that will buy a bmw new when they get real money as long as bmw doesnt mess up their engines.

IDK about drag racing but people have been boosting BMW's inline 6 for a long time. Long before the N5x and the "jb hot pill." People have pushed M52, M54, S50, S52, S54, S55, and several other stock blocks over 600whp, 700whp, even 900whp+. Talking about built engines and drag racing? People have made 1800whp+ with the S85... and made a 6.89 second pass: https://www.roadandtrack.com/motors...-1850-hp-drag-racing-engine-out-of-a-bmw-v10/ and the JB and its customer base didn't have anything to do with it. Just a lot of BMW history that doesn't make it onto these forums...

I personally feel the market saturation of the JB early on held things back a bit. A large customer base that was busy talking about what JB map to run to beat their friends Honda. I get your point though that there are a few people from that base that are now "enthusiasts" but I think that margin is pretty slim.

BMW also has a pretty rich Motorsport history v.s. drag racing. Lots of built race engines. N/A stroked out 9,000rpm screamers. They may not get attention because they aren't making 900whp, but, those builds generally far eclipse anything that anyone has done with any N5x engine. I can't see cost being used as any kind of excuse here lol

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
It's true @Bnks334 ... and we could dive into BMW's history starting in the 70's and early 80's with with Rosche's junkyard sourced M10 motors topping out dyno's with turbos. But I think @Rob09msport's point was that BMW turbos as a mainstream offering really didn't come to market until the last decade. Sure there all kinds of folks that have built turbo you-name-it's ... or even E23 745's tuned to the "then" moon (there were some nice scandinavian products for that platform). But this was all fringe activity. In the traditional BMW world, engine swaps were far more common way to power (and even that, hardly mainstream). With the N54 mainstream performance offering, it opened a market that hadn't previously existed with BMW's. The biggest proof for me, personally being a 30-year BMW guy ... is the amount of enthusiasts I've met that are not the traditional long-time BMW owners but instead the WRX/Evo/Supra/3000sti/V8 crews that unlike traditional BMW owners, live and think in the 2-4x stock power street car world. Not to mention all the drag guys ... never met them at traditional BMW events. I think that's what @Rob09msport was pointing out, or at least how I read it.

Filippo

Reactions: Rob09msport

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Exactly filippo got it. Before this people built bmws but no offense to anyone they were quality builds. It was suspension and brakes first then maybe supercharger or turbo and like I said mainly m cars or full on track monster that's gutted if was regular bmw.