Engineering parts for a 1000hp Supra

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
But this was all fringe activity. In the traditional BMW world, engine swaps were far more common way to power (and even that, hardly mainstream). With the N54 mainstream performance offering, it opened a market that hadn't previously existed with BMW's. The biggest proof for me, personally being a 30-year BMW guy ... is the amount of enthusiasts I've met that are not the traditional long-time BMW owners but instead the WRX/Evo/Supra/3000sti/V8 crews that unlike traditional BMW owners, live and think in the 2-4x stock power street car world. Not to mention all the drag guys ... never met them at traditional BMW events. I think that's what @Rob09msport was pointing out, or at least how I read it.

Filippo

Yeah I recognized that point. Fair enough. I just wanted to provide the counter-point that people built BMW's long before any 15 year old WRX owner with a BOV slapped a JB4 onto an N54 lol. It is a large segment of the market that manufacturers are trying to capture though. Shit even Camry's and Elantra's have sports packages now lol.

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I agree 110%, @Bnks334.

I have to be honest ... and not that I don't have experience with other cars mind you, but I'm a diehard BMW guy. So being honest, that would make me kind of insular. I believe what advances this platform is the influx of lots of other hardcore people that were not in the traditional BMW vertical. And they also bring the forced induction expertise in all dimensions that ... if we were looking for that out of our BMW vertical ... we'd still be driving 380whp N54s :grimacing: ...

Filippo

Reactions: Rob09msport

Nick6

Mar 21, 2018
Ride
'07 335i
Pre-N54 BMW tuning was mainly just done by technical guru's that were just in to it. The N54's kind of made BMW's more mainstream.

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i

Here's the next video in the series. My only concern is he mentioned leaving the injectors in there but not using them. You don't want to do that because DI injectors become glow plugs if you do. However its Steve so I'm pretty sure it was just a slip up. Either way enjoy the video!

Reactions: doublespaces

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York

Here's the next video in the series. My only concern is he mentioned leaving the injectors in there but not using them. You don't want to do that because DI injectors become glow plugs if you do. However its Steve so I'm pretty sure it was just a slip up. Either way enjoy the video!

I am surprised by quite a few things he did in the video. Leaving the injector in is not one of them. By that logic, the entire cylinder head and combustion chamber becomes a glow plug lol. I guess you can ASSUME that the injectors need the flow of fuel to not retain heat, but, I doubt that assumption. Ghassan is running PI only on their shop car with stock DI still in place. Others have as well I believe. It doesn't seem like a big deal but maybe you have more info?

I was more surprised that he dropped in JE pistons with stock piston to cylinder wall clearance. Not sure what composition they are though. He also re-used the stock bearings and piston rings. I've actually done both things myself with great success, but, those were hardly the corners I expected him to cut to save money lol. My guess is he re-used the rings because they are specific to the type of cylinder wall used on the B58. And the bearings have that nice Irox coating. Believe in OE engineering lol. It's just seemed like an odd choice considering the expense of the valve train, valve cover, and custom intake manifold. But I guess that's partly what a build like this is all about-- bling factor and hype.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I would plug the holes no reason to leave the injector if you are not going to use it. Yeah it's easy but so is a plug.

There is no way he does not make 1000hp on an engine dyno with that turbo.