EOSpeed Billet Fuel System Installation

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
How has this been doing since install? I believe my ekp is dying after putting in my 535. I can get one log in and the my rail pressure tanks. Not the normal not enough flow pressure drop, it is a straight line drop to 55psi. Car won’t start for five minutes then cruises around town fine. Which is the ekp cooling I think.

so I am looking at the bpm4. But I hear it can melt the top hat? Also not reassuring that I am about to spend $700 and cant get a hold of anyone at EOS. Am I stuck between choosing a stock replacement from fcp that may die quickly or risking burning my car down?
I have never heard of it melting the tophat. Where did you read this? I don't even see how it could.

Reactions: houtan

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I've had the BPM for unit for quite a few years I think 4 years now and there's been 0 problems with top hat.

Stock turbo with port injection and stage 3 PR LPFP.
Then Pure S2 with same fuel set up.

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Thanks for the replies. I guess the increased current can exceed what the stock wiring can handle and melt the connector at the top hat? I don’t remember where I heard it so just want to get your feedback since I am in this current scenario of replacing my ekp.

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
The top hat issues are with high resistance studs on a secondary pump. Using the OEM connector for one primary pump is fine. Been running a 450 off the BPM4 for quite some time now with no problems. I have the billet top hat ready to go if the second pump is ever needed but should probably just list it up for sale here.

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Quick question. Does anyone know what the spring is for on the top hat rods? I see the EOS top hat doesn’t use the spring on the rods. I am going to use the top hat with my diy bucket. Trying to figure out if I need to pull the springs off of my plastic top hat and put them on the billet one or if it’s not necessary.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Quick question. Does anyone know what the spring is for on the top hat rods? I see the EOS top hat doesn’t use the spring on the rods. I am going to use the top hat with my diy bucket. Trying to figure out if I need to pull the springs off of my plastic top hat and put them on the billet one or if it’s not necessary.
I would use them. That is what holds the pump tight to the bottom of the tank.

• Agree
Reactions: houtan and Torgus

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
I have a few additional questions I was hoping someone could answer please. I am probably overthinking some of this but I can’t help it.

1. I see some heat shrink used for wiring that will come in contact with fuel, is there a special brand you use that is compatible with fuel?

2. There are two more sets of wires that go to the plug to power additional fuel pumps. I can see you put heat shrink on the unused wires sitting on the top hat. Did you put heat shrink on the unused wires that are sitting in the tank?

Thanks,
Houtan

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I have a few additional questions I was hoping someone could answer please. I am probably overthinking some of this but I can’t help it.

1. I see some heat shrink used for wiring that will come in contact with fuel, is there a special brand you use that is compatible with fuel?

2. There are two more sets of wires that go to the plug to power additional fuel pumps. I can see you put heat shrink on the unused wires sitting on the top hat. Did you put heat shrink on the unused wires that are sitting in the tank?

Thanks,
Houtan
As far as I know, there is no Fuel specific Heat Shrink. Just make sure it is of good quality. You don't want one strand to get out and arch to cause a spark.

Any time I have unused wires that I leave in a system, I cap them with Heat Shrink.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I had my top hat melt on the second pump, these new top hats will stop that from ever happening especially when running bigger pumps.

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
As far as I know, there is no Fuel specific Heat Shrink. Just make sure it is of good quality. You don't want one strand to get out and arch to cause a spark.

Any time I have unused wires that I leave in a system, I cap them with Heat Shrink.

actually not all heat shrink that can handle gasoline... ive had a few that unshrinked itself...luckily it didnt short circuit and blow stuff up
i ended up buying ptfe based heatshrink that works fine

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus and NoGuru

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
So I am seeing most heat shrink is made from polyolefin. Which is not fuel compatible. @doublespaces , did you use a specific brand?