F series N55 Dme question

Venom77

Private
Feb 22, 2017
Arizona
Ride
335I
Like the title says, I am hoping to find someone that is familiar with the Dme of the N55 on an F series 335I. I have a friend of mine that went through the process of sending his Dme out to be unlocked and flashed. In this process somehow it was coded to being an XI not an I, in other words the Dme thinks its awd with some other bits not matching either. Fortunately the car is driving just fine but unfortunately this has made it very difficult to flash anything to the car. He has gone to quite a few different tuners and they seem to be afraid of bricking the Dme if they force a flash. He is now looking into getting a new Dme with the stock flash. My questions are has anyone had this issue and fixed it. If not does a new Dme come with the stock flash or is it empty, and does it need to be specific to his car.
Thank you.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Who benched this DME? I suppose starting there would help that way we can know what to not suggest to you :)

@PTF may have some insight here.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Do these ecus have something like winfkp that can flash it back to stock? Or are you wanting to keep the unlock?

Venom77

Private
Feb 22, 2017
Arizona
Ride
335I
Not that Im aware of.
Dont care if it stays unlocked or becomes locked again. Just want to be able to start from scratch.

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Like the title says, I am hoping to find someone that is familiar with the Dme of the N55 on an F series 335I. I have a friend of mine that went through the process of sending his Dme out to be unlocked and flashed. In this process somehow it was coded to being an XI not an I, in other words the Dme thinks its awd with some other bits not matching either. Fortunately the car is driving just fine but unfortunately this has made it very difficult to flash anything to the car. He has gone to quite a few different tuners and they seem to be afraid of bricking the Dme if they force a flash. He is now looking into getting a new Dme with the stock flash. My questions are has anyone had this issue and fixed it. If not does a new Dme come with the stock flash or is it empty, and does it need to be specific to his car.
Thank you.

I wouldn't get a New DME just yet. They may have just changed a setting or value somewhere they weren't supposed to. Generally in terms of the unlock. The DME is flashed back with the Stock file, just a patched version of the stock file that would allow use of the OBD2 port.

Try what Martial suggested, he's a flash wiz!! So follow his suggestions. And if there is anything I can do to help. Let me know.

Venom77

Private
Feb 22, 2017
Arizona
Ride
335I
Ssr sent him the file. They are the company that unlocked it, not the ones that flashed it. Seems he told a local tuner about it and didnt get any real feed back on it so he dropped it.
This stock file would put it back to locked right? Can it be flashed through the obd2 or does the Dme need to be pulled?
Thank you.

Levanime

Private
Supporting Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
NorCal
he needs to:
1) Reflash it to stock with esys
2) Code it correctly with esys
3) apply correct patch after that

If it doesnot work
4) zero working hours and code it correctly
if it doesnot work
5) on the bench, flash it with other working flash from similar DME and change ISN to original one

If it doesnot work
6) I can copy ISN in another Used DME (have them in the stock) no need to purchase new one.

Venom77

Private
Feb 22, 2017
Arizona
Ride
335I
he needs to:
1) Reflash it to stock with esys
2) Code it correctly with esys
3) apply correct patch after that

If it doesnot work
4) zero working hours and code it correctly
if it doesnot work
5) on the bench, flash it with other working flash from similar DME and change ISN to original one

If it doesnot work
6) I can copy ISN in another Used DME (have them in the stock) no need to purchase new one.

Thank you. I will relay this to him. I appreciate it greatly.