FCP Lifetime Warranty, Oil Changes, et al

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I did some research when I went to LM on my two diesels (i'm camping on this thread, since there is no more Helix info ... lol). It's not so easy to sort things out, for sure. I'm not a huge believer in garden testing youtube stuff ... which is not to say it is not valid stuff, but I trust real engineers that specifically deal with the actual issues. Engine oil is constantly evolving, specs expanding, etc. For example, a low NOACK number ... it's not about oil sump temps and evap, it's about coating the top of the cylinder walls (where temp gets real and oil coating is critical, and one wants oil film). I run the LM 2309 5w-30. @Bnks334 is right, it's a Gr. 3 base stock. But it meets BMW LL-04, MB 229.51, VW 505 01 ... and I understand NOACK is under 10%. For a street daily driver (which is what my diesels are), I believe this oil does the job just fine, and Blackstone analysis place me above average on N57 wear data they accumulate. Low ash (via low SAPS - again in the certs) is also an issue with diesel and the DPF. Is it the best choice? Trick question ... certainly not ... but that question kind of lacks an answer. I have run additive package (Cera-tec or HSS FR3) which I suspect is unnecessary. FR3 makes a noticeable difference in how quiet my (already quiet) N57 runs, topside ... but I wouldn't put much in how the motor sounds and feels (smoother) ... placebo effect, etc.

Some of this reminds me of the amp arguments about THD ... there is a good enough, and there is a cost function I suppose. But the FCP return is simple - the only difference with a regular oil change and FCP is that I fill out their form and label the return box. It's really not all the work you guys make it to be, but YMMV. Because I do both my wife and my daily diesels at the same time, at $140 it's worth the nominal effort. Would I do it for a third of that? Hell no lol.

Just one other quick observation: race formulations (like 300V, as I understand it) are not designed for use on the street, which is very different that serious race car usage (with per event oil changes). It is good to remember that oil performance is not one dimensional.

Filippo

Last edited:

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
While all this FCP euro warranty and oil is 100% off topic. For someone who only needs to do 1 oil change a year and does not paying $$$. What oil should I be using? I don't mind 1 'expensive' oil change a year.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
While all this FCP euro warranty and oil is 100% off topic. For someone who only needs to do 1 oil change a year and does not paying $$$. What oil should I be using? I don't mind 1 'expensive' oil change a year.
Take a look at that Project Farm video on oil testing someone else posted the other day (linked below for your convenience). Looks like Amsoil, Redline and Pennzoil are top performers. It would be good to know which of these would be “best” for our highly boosted and modded N54 / N55 engines. I don’t mean to cause another thread jacking so I’m starting another thread here, LOL :joycat:

Last edited:
Reactions: Torgus

Mike335xi

Lurker
Feb 13, 2017
Ride
335xi
I use FCPs exchange program for oil on my e90 and my e70. Ive used shipping and store pick up from them on road trips(they have AMAZING customer service). I haven't paid for oil in a long time. They use the program to build customer loyalty. Last time I had to buy a brake kit I used them. Will I replace that again before selling that vehicle? Probably not.

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
I mean if that's their marketing strategy then I don't see anything wrong with that. I hadn't even heard about them until this discussion. I used to be an ECS customer....not anymore.

I'd say their strategy worked :tearsofjoy:

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
I also used to use ECS exclusively, but changed to FCP after the article about ECS went out.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I also used to use ECS exclusively, but changed to FCP after the article about ECS went out.
I’m embarrassed to admit that I don’t know which article you’re talking about. Please post a link. Thanks.

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
No embarrassment needed. It was just a story from a former employee of a business who ECS later bought out. I'm not sure I'd be able to find it, was on Facebook a while back.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
That place is god awful.

I dislike ECS mainly for buying everybody up. I understand market consolidation but it does not mean I have to like it!

I give any business I can to FCPEuro. I can't have a 3rd local BMW specific parts company go out of business! Turner, gone, BAVauto, gone. Competition is good for the customer we can't have only 1 large BMW parts distributor. The lifetime warranty is also very nice, granted I have yet to use it which is probably the case for 99% of their customers.

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
No embarrassment needed. It was just a story from a former employee of a business who ECS later bought out. I'm not sure I'd be able to find it, was on Facebook a while back.
I think you may be referring to a Turner Motorsport employee after ECS bought them out?

• Agree
Reactions: fmorelli

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I know this is an old thread but I'd like to point out they welcome oil change returns.

In Mass if you sell oil you also have to accepts return of up to 2 gallons per day per person if they have a receipt. I assume we are not the only state with that policy. The point is to stop people from dumping it in nature. FCP may have to accept returns to sell into other states.

My local autozone does not care if you have a receipt. I am sure they sell it for a profit or break even.

My friends father is a truck mechanic and runs his heating in the winter on old oil. Use oil has value.

Generally the cost to ship back 7 quarts is not worth it vs finding someone local who will take it for free.