Finally an M57 in the driveway

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
E70 X5d, E39 528iT, E46 325xi
After much searching and test driving I finally came upon an X5D that was right for me. Trucks been a blast so far, got close to 30mpg in the stock form on the highway back from PA with a Regen or two taking place.

Already a host of parts on the way for it, happened to throw a code for SCR and passive tank plausibility, not gonna bother with fixing any of that stuff and ripping the DPF/EGR out as soon as the pipes arrive.

Doesn't leak any oil BUT I have noticed an excessive amount of oil burning going on and it drank a quart of oil already. The CCV on these are notorious for failing (it has 110k on it) and a boroscope inspection down the intake tube reveals a lot of oil at the entrance of the turbo, coking and oil residue on the compressor blades, but no visible scraping of the housing. Going to order the hose/flapper bit first and have a Provent 200 on the way to install.

I started noticing too that the HP (small) turbo has a little bit of a howl to it puttering around the parking lot, how loud are these things in stock form? Can you hear anything with all the stock piping/insulation in place? Last time I had an N54 in the shop with this kinda noise, the front turbo was shot. Makes me wonder if the seals are kaput in the HP turbo as well.

Any opinions?

Reactions: doublespaces

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
My hp shit the bed one day making zero noise etc. I started it up and it was done. The emissions shit makes me hate these savs and I own two. The solution is basically delete everything and get a tune. I dont want to drop that cash on these things. I already have a money pit.

That being said I have jbd on both and the low end tq and mpg is nice.

Reactions: Itsbrokeagain

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
My hp shit the bed one day making zero noise etc. I started it up and it was done. The emissions shit makes me hate these savs and I own two. The solution is basically delete everything and get a tune. I dont want to drop that cash on these things. I already have a money pit.

That being said I have jbd on both and the low end tq and mpg is nice.

done as in just smoking all over the place? Cuse mine seems to get worse by the day...today it was particularly bad, hazed pretty good in the morning and then just consistent for the rest so far. a new HP unit for me is like $760, and being on top makes it easy to replace.

I ordered all the deletes on Monday and nothing is here yet....shit cant come fast enough lol

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
Parts are showing up, early Christmas for me, erm, the family.

EGR/swirl flap delete is here, downpipe/scr pipe will be here Friday, and the DDE is coming back from DUDMD as I write this. Waiting for Black Friday promos to kick in tomorrow night to score an intercooler and some hybrid turbos. After that it's a trans tune and I'm done...maybe a set of wheels in the future but I'm going to enjoy it for the next 100k miles.

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
Finally got around to working on the truck. My daughter decided to make her grand entrance into the world a week early, so I got it up on the lift today.

Both EGRs deleted, DPF bye bye and so long SCR. its so nice to have room to work now in there, and I dont have to drop the subframe anymore to do any crazy work though.

I did notice the oily/clear liquidy residue from the muffler clamp where it attaches downstream of the SCR, the downpipe itself did not have any of this mess around the DEF injector area, so something leads me to believe its excessive CCV blowby. or the SCR was failing and just making a mess of things. I think the muffler ended up getting soaked in this concoction, and I think its going to be impossible to heat it up enough to burn it clean.

I did check the shaft play on the turbos, and they are pretty much non existent. the CCV was dumping a ton of oil, and someone steered me towards a thread on another forum showing the valve cover gasket could be a possible culprit, as the inner gasket set gets old and hard, allowing oil to seep into the intake tract when cold and ingesting when first started. If it gets really bad, the valve cover part of the intake tract will leak boost past those seals, pressurizing the crank case and we all know how that ends up (N54 problems anyone? lololololol)

Just happy to not worry about any of the emissions junk on this truck anymore. Next time it goes up, the big ATM intercooler will go in, trans service done, oil change, and see if I cant fix this CCV issure.

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
so the leaks persisted, and pretty bad. Pouring oil out of the tail pipes, and all over the back of the truck. I took a stab at the valve cover gasket, since people said if it was old and hard, it would leak boost through the valve cover and pressurize the engine, causing oil drain issues and pushing oil out everywhere. Instead I found this:
IMG_20181215_152751.jpg

The Turbos are most likely coked up beyond repair. I was able to contact some people inside of BMW NA for service records, and this one owner truck (judging by his address on the title was living in a very wealthy area) was serviced only to 50k miles, and after that it was anyones guess as to what was done. We picked it up with 109k on it. I was able to find the navigations previous entries still logged in it, and it seems it was given to their son or daughter who attended Binghampton University and then traveled halfway across NY and PA, and prolly never had its oil changed in 2-4 years. When it started smoking they brought it in, prolly got an estimate for a bazillion dollars in repairs and they traded it in to be someone elses problem...which ended up being me.

Ive run 2 engine flushes through it so far, and the turbos are leaking pretty bad considering the drain lines are prolly clogged almost solid.
IMG_20181216_154807.jpg

Andrew Rodriguez of fixmyvw.com fame came to my rescue, with a newly released set of X5 specific hybrid turbos. At $50 more than a set of brand new stock Borg Warners, it was a no brainer, even if I cant take full advantage of them yet.
X5 Hybrids.JPG

And thats where we stand at the moment. Waiting for some oil lines and washers to arrive before breaking this motor down again, and hope this will be the last of my oil consumption problems.

Last edited:

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Are you going to dyno them after install? What tune will you run?

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
Truck is finally back together. Had to wait for a lift to become available and ordered new Oil feed lines and bits for the turbos. Removal went without a hitch, took some creative thinking to get the motor tilted up enough to get the large turbo out.

As suspected the small turbo had coked up almost completely and was puking oil into the large one. The entire drain pipe was more or less sludged up, took some time in the parts washer and a long pipe cleaner to get it free. After another 14 hours of swearing, the truck was running under it's own power this morning, and pulls very nicely with the hybrids. Working on dialing it in to get the large turbo to spool quicker. Pics to follow.

• Love
Reactions: Torgus

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
welp I went to go load some pics finally and turns out my phone didnt save any of them for some reason. Just have one picture of me giving the middle finger to the large turbo after it fought me coming out for a couple hours. When it warms up and I get to the shop in a week or two i'll try to get some pics of them installed. No leaks and they boogie pretty well. Had to adjust the changeover rod some as there was a definite lag and the large turbo was coming on super late, somewhere around 3500, when it was supposed to be coming on around 2700 and fully alive by 29-3000.

Also had a small setback when initially driving, didnt seat the charge pipe adaptor clip fully and it blew the stock plastic pipe out of place, causing an immediate limp mode and also forcing the pipe into the powersteering pulley, which rubbed a hole in it by the time I got it back to the shop. 20 minutes of cursing at myself for not double checking in the first place, we heated up a screwdriver with a propane torch and molded/added some plastic to the groove to fill the gap, which worked wonderfully and has held the 40+ lbs of boost with no issues so far.

Attached picture of the wifes cat, because trying to take pics of turbos and she said otherwise.

Attachments

• IMG_20181220_134923[1].jpg
    IMG_20181220_134923[1].jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20190107_125741[1].jpg
    IMG_20190107_125741[1].jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 208

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
Figured I'd post a little update.

Been able to put on about 10k miles, the last of the mods came down to removing dead weight (passive tank got binned), overhauling the trans, the airbag recall and while it was at the dealer, my tech buddy installed a new harmonic balancer for me.

My roof rack and rear window shades arrived from Germany and along with a Thule Adventurer box picked up from FB marketplace, we were ready for the big test; road trip to Tampa and back from Long Island.

Needless to say it performed like a charm. Due to the box uptop and cruise set to 75-80 and the AC on, I averaged 23.9mpg most of the way. During the times were I was more conservative around 65~, I saw readings of 29-30. Overall my longest range at one point was 650 miles to empty. For a family of 3 it was big enough to accommodate.

Stopped in Mechanicsville VA for 24 hours on the way down and way up, taking advantage of some premium diesel on the way back (47 cetane woot woot). Ran a little quieter it seemed.

Was right in my element with all the diesel pickups in Florida, rolled a little coal with a few (to their surprise) and even got a weird look at the Wawa when filling up for the trip home. Told them I heard putting diesel in your car makes it run better, and REALLY got looked at sideways lol.

Best purchase I've made. Looking for an F15 next to add to the fleet once the E46 is ready to be retired.

Reactions: Torgus

darius

Mar 29, 2020
Hi how are you doing, i am looking to rebuild my engine my piston road bent on cylinder 6 .... i am looking to buy a new set of cylinders and pistons road.
if anyone know where to buy them from please let me know.