Finally going single. I have tons of questions

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
Driving 2h one way to stack up on e85 is definately not part of the plans. If I ever pass through there, would I be able to have a tune for it?

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
It's more reliable, less moving parts, but in order for that to be a consideration you have to show the twins aren't reliable. The newer GC's seem to be doing well in that arena, MMP either has, or will soon have, Garrett turbos, and haven't the China offerings held up so far too? And if your goal is "only" 570, there's even more offerings that are reliable (Pure, RB, etc)

In my experince the singles have various reliability issues not often discussed, like frequently failing o2 sensors, melted parts in the engine bay from heat management, sensitive wastegate lines and wastegates that can cause over boost if something goes wrong, zero chance of ever passing an emissions test, etc. Don't get me wrong I LOVE single N54 kits. But people don't often discuss the drawbacks.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
FWIW I daily the single around 650-660 whp estimate (23 psi 14* timing on E85) and I've daily driven twins in that same power range.

The way power is delivered with a single is 10x more fun lol

What are you limited to on pump gas timing wise and how much power would you think? 550? Would it really be that much fun if you were stuck on pump gas? To me, the allure of a single is the big top end HP which is really only achievable with E85. Meth can help, but not the same as E85.

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
OP just get the speed tech kit with the borg warner s362sxe for 3500.

1. Its bottom mount wont melt shit like a topmount would
2. You're always going to want more power
3. If your only using 93 then single is better option because its easier to make power on 93 on a single setup
4. Stock DI system is fine for 93 you only need to upgrade your LPFP.

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
Ok so I finally had time to put the cooling system back together, only missing 1 piece to be able to re-fill it with coolant for now. I am waiting for the 335d bracket for the powersteering reservoir now.
What else should I be getting ?
Car only has downpipes and intercooler. Around 98k miles, freshly walnut blasted.
I've seen some talk about PCV this, PCV that but it isn't clear what I should do on a single setup. Also, I don't believe the docrace kit comes with whatever I need to control the boost, does it ?

sleet142

Private
Oct 6, 2018
Ride
2008 BMW 335i
@twinturbos - You can order a boostbox from DocRace when you order a kit. Otherwise, grab a new JB4 and flash it with the current single turbo firmware.

PCV: I have an RB PCV valve > stock check valve > VTA. However, the recommended way is to have an upgraded PCV valve, catch can, and block the ports above the intake manifold that are under the valve cover.

I believe if you buy the 335d coolant tank you have to buy a matching charge pipe. A stock/upgraded stock charge pipe will not fit with it.

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
@twinturbos - You can order a boostbox from DocRace when you order a kit. Otherwise, grab a new JB4 and flash it with the current single turbo firmware.

PCV: I have an RB PCV valve > stock check valve > VTA. However, the recommended way is to have an upgraded PCV valve, catch can, and block the ports above the intake manifold that are under the valve cover.

I believe if you buy the 335d coolant tank you have to buy a matching charge pipe. A stock/upgraded stock charge pipe will not fit with it.

Thanks. I was looking into the PCV info, It seems like the best would be a dual catch can setup for low and high independent and block the ports in the head.

Yea I am aware of that, I'm ordering the VRSF charge pipe made for 335d relocation.

So for those who are running a similar setup to what I'm currently building, what is your PCV setup ? Post pics if you have some

Thanks

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
I'm simply running AD-Engineering catch can kit. It deletes the flapper and vents it to the catch can. I have a vent tube that goes down to the car where the flex fuel line is

Attachments

• IMG_20180116_204404_651.jpg
    IMG_20180116_204404_651.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: twinturbos