Finally new dyno results with our VTT 135i!

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Been a long time coming, but our white 135i is finally back together!

Sometime in 2017 the stock motor gave up so we shipped the car up to Vargas for an entirely new build. Budget oriented forged motor, GC2 turbos, and various little bits and pieces that made sense while it was all apart. While I was happy with the MOTIV 750 kit we've already got the ACF single turbo 335 in our stables here. I was intrigued by the potential to make the same or more power at half the price, in a cleaner looking twin turbo package, so made the switch to GC2s.

Basic Build Details:
JB4 with MHD BEF
VTT GC V2 turbos
VTT/Rebello Short block CP 9.5:1 pistons, Manley Turbo Tuff Rods, King bearings, ARP Rod bolts
Stock head, stock valves, stock retainers, Supertech Valve springs, new guides, new seals ARP Head Studs
Schrick High Lift Cams
VTT Upcoming crank hub fix, with Crank bolt capture
VTT Stock location rear inlet, relocated front inlet
VTT Crankcase Breather
Fuel-It PI w/ stock intake manifold
Fuel-It Stage 3 LPFP with Return
Spec 3+ clutch / Aluminum SMFW
ADE Engine mounts
UUC Red Trans mounts
Custom 3.5" aluminum catback
100% Pump E85

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Tony got everything up and running last week and was kind enough to help me do a little preliminary remote tuning on their dyno just to see where things stand. Overall, I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the GC2 turbos. They are so responsive on the dyno I had to dial down spool dramatically. And they seem to hold power pretty well up to 7500rpm. I plan on shifting it around 7000rpm but it's nice to know the turbos can keep up with the cams if needed.

Below are a few of the last runs we did poking around at different timing curve and boost requests. I'm confident once I get the car strapped down here and can really spend some time with it we'll see power in the 775whp range. But even if nothing changes on that front, I expect to get this in to the 5.6s range or better 60-130.
burnrubber.gif

Also want to thank Tony personally for all the work that went in to it. I changed my mind a few times on some of the parts used which caused annoying delays and the car to have to be stored there for months. Which I can tell you as a business owner is usually annoying. He didn't complain when he had to go chaise down the many parts you lose when swapping from single back to twin. And also had a lot of little ideas to improve things that I never would have thought of. I'll leave it to him to reveal some of his built motor secrets should he choose.
lol.gif

Anyway can't wait to get the car back down here so I can start having some real fun with it again.
drinking.gif

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Its good to see Two of our pioneers colaborating, especially after all these years.
Same thought here, especially using twins.

I'm excited to see what happens the next year with big twins + drivetrain mods and even cams being available now, cause that's the route I've been wishing was available on the N54 since I bought it.

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
A positive story about VTT :blush:

My 1.0 GCs are still going strong. Also had to dial down the boost on them. The response is awesome. I don't notice any difference from stock except above 5500 rpm of course.

• Funny
Reactions: Torgus

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Awesome!

Did you have to make any adjustments to the knock sensors?
MSD80 or 81?

Yes Tony has some secrets in that department. One of the reasons so many built motors, like our old FFTEC built motor, didn't pan out.

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
4% difference between STD and SAE FWIW

Congrats on the numbers and the new setup, very very nice. Any particular reason why you did not go with a ported head?

No it's around 2%, STD is a base temp of 76F and SAE a base temp of 59F or something like that. Anyway, here is a run in SAE for those who care. As mentioned it wasn't exactly a max effort sort of tuning session. Just wanted to ensure it's close enough that I can wrap the tuning up here before race day. :)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Reactions: Payam@BMS
Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
No it's around 2%, STD is a base temp of 76F and SAE a base temp of 59F or something like that. Anyway, here is a run in SAE for those who care. :)

Depends on which specific SAE standard is being applied within the software, J1995 or J1349. The latter (what I originally assumed you were referring to) is more commonly used. At the end of the day we're just splitting hairs here, and your results are impressive regardless! :)

Last edited:

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
I'll take it out to Famoso at some point but it doesn't have the axles and stuff it would need to run decently in the 1/4. It's built for roll racing. I think it should run around 170mph in the 1/2 without too much drama... 5.6s 60-130.

Last edited:

Optigrab

Corporal
Sep 19, 2018
Ride
08 135i
I'll take it out to Famoso at some point but it doesn't have the axles and stuff it would need to run decently in the 1/4. It's built for roll racing. I think it should run around 170mph in the 1/4 without too much drama... 5.6s 60-130.

Throw a couple dragys in the car and take it for a spin!

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
For those interested here is a comparison of the car with the MOTIV kit and stock motor, vs. the current build. I have midrange turned down here on the new built. And on the MOTIV setup I know I have a ~725whp 30psi (maxing out turbo) dyno floating around somewhere I just can't locate it. But gives you an idea for the power band differences with turbos and cam.

comparison_dyno.jpg

Reactions: Hydra Performance

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I'll take it out to Famoso at some point but it doesn't have the axles and stuff it would need to run decently in the 1/4. It's built for roll racing. I think it should run around 170mph in the 1/4 without too much drama... 5.6s 60-130.

I know it's a budget build - why not do an M3 diff swap to get it stronger to take the 1/4 launch. Worry about the M3 LSD going south down the road :p