Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Couple of people have asked now so I thought id share so its not such a secret
Edit Prerequisite for this is that you have an MSD81 DME

Attached are two files. One is EU spec and the other is US
You can use either in either market(I think) but if you use the US version in an EU car you'll need to disable the DMTL function in that spec.
If you use the EU spec in a US car you may have emissions/smog issues
That DMTL code is used for flex fuel so if youre on that you may have issues, I would seek further help from MHD

Without further ado

• First, save your current original BIN file that MHD saved when you first flashed with MHD- This is so you can go back if you need to.
  • Second save the respective EU or US file of your choosing onto your iPhone or Android device in the MHD file structure
  • Connect to your car Select tune> flash a custom mapSelect the file you saved before in step two
  • Then essentially you flash the respective IKMOS file in MHD as a custom file. From that point on you are IKMOS! Thats it. done.
MHD has fixed everything that stopped this in the past.
You can now use the stock operation in MHD to do a backup and it will replace your old original file ( you saved your original one before)
You can send this file to a tuner and they can port your tune over, just flash custom when you get the file back

The only complication from here is that if you want to flash back to stock or want to use OTS tunes. OTS flashes seemed to work for me. If you flash back to 0 you'll likely get put back to your original ROM version (this is untested I haven't bothered)
Thanks to MHD for making all this SO EASY!
Thanks also to @RSL who helped me with my original file(Im euro and need to fix that DMTL bit)

edit Cleaned up instruction with discreet steps and updated post with verified Bin files

Attachments

• good_IKM0S_US.bin
    2 MB · Views: 162
  • IKM0S_EU_original.bin
    2 MB · Views: 138
Last edited:

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54
EDIT: Thanks your finding and reading my post. Unfortunately, Spoolstreet is no longer a neutral platform where we can have honest discussions on subjects and products freely.
For this reason I have deleted all information I posted on the forums.

Last edited:

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
None at all really. The IKMOS rom is a mythical thing that could potentially enable MDrive on Non M cars for people that were experimenting with that sort of thing. Apart from that the recent throttle sensitivity delay table values have been copied over to other roms so as I said unless there’s further discoveries like that ... nothing really😎

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
If you coming from a stock tune, the stock IKM0S offers a 12psi overboost (like the x35is cars),
and there are some improvements on a few tables that ive compared so far this afternoon:
WGDC I-Factor
Timing
Fueling
Load

And probably a fair bit more.
But if you are already tuned which 99% are, then as Aus335iGuy said, no real benefit.
Im still looking into things further,
As i am currently stock again. wont be tuning or modifying again for some time.

KClemente

Sergeant
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
A bit of undefined boost control maps have been changed between ROM's so the IKM0S is in my opinion, still the best base tune to start with.

pe7er

Lurker
Jul 26, 2018
Ride
335i
so you are saying just putting that IK0MS file as MHD Custom Flash on any MSD81 DME? Does it work on 3er series as well with any transmission ? The headline confusing me

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
so you are saying just putting that IK0MS file as MHD Custom Flash on any MSD81 DME? Does it work on 3er series as well with any transmission ? The headline confusing me
Yes that is correct,
If you follow the instructions in the OP then you shouldnt have an issue.
I can confirm already that all transmissions have been catered for in the bin, BMW expanded on an already available map, so everything is available, and further defined.

I have compare the file to a Z4 35is file, stock for stock, and there are some good advancements (to my untrained eye). so yes definately a good base to start with.

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
Doing this would take out the porting error that may have happened. And also the error factor that may be present in the XDF.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
If you’re non euro and use the US file you can code out the DMTL error but if you then go from a stock file to an MHD OTS tune you’ll get the error back again. Ask me how I know :)
Process works seamlessly otherwise

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Hi All.

I had a look between the EU and US IKM0S bins, did a Difference Tool, and noticed there are a fair amount of changes between the two.:
1595754668232.png

Which would be the better map out of the two?
And also, i assume if you want to use the OTS tunes, i would guess you would be better off using the EU bin due to the DTML config byte set to 00 by default, so wont have the errors when you load up the OTS tune like @aus335iguy guy said.

PLease can a tuner perhaps have a look between the two and see which would be be the better of the 2 if just loading it as stock (not using OTS tune.)
It is said that the US Bin may be slightly detuned due to the emmissions etc in the US?

THanks in advance, would be interesting to know.

Reactions: aus335iguy

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Are you sure that both maps are 100% the actual EU/US Stock Maps?

I am no tuner but they are completely different to me. US Map targets way more Load and also knock sensors are desensitized more than in the EU Map. US Map targets a tad leaner AFR in the high Load/RPM Range. And of course much much more.

But Load Target and Knock Sensitivity seem to be a significant difference to me.

EU
1595759777733.png

1595759676559.png

US
1595759799207.png

1595759696142.png

There is also a ton of undefined tables that differ between each other as long as you only have the standard IKM0S XDF.

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Thanks @JohnDaviz . I have other XDF's for IKM0S also, can forwrd to you if you want, just let me know.

So judging by what you see. Sounds like the US Bin is the way to go?

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Thanks @JohnDaviz . I have other XDF's for IKM0S also, can forwrd to you if you want, just let me know.

So judging by what you see. Sounds like the US Bin is the way to go?

Feel free to send them to me. Would love to look into them.

But I am the last person to judge those two maps. Where did you get them from?

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Feel free to send them to me. Would love to look into them.

But I am the last person to judge those two maps. Where did you get them from?
Well the US Map i got from @aus335iguy, but i downloaded a few.
I have 5 IKM0S maps in total, 3 EU, and 2 US,
The EU ones are all identical
and the US ones are identical,

So i would agree that the EU/US bins differ for emissions reasons, but cant be certain.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Different emissions, OBD vs EOBD is set, etc. A lot of differences unseen are diagnostic thresholds, etc., but I haven't paid that much attention to US vs. Euro in them. I just run US version to avoid conflicts.

If someone has a complete XDF of IKM0S, I'd be interested. I'm tired of defining it manually lol

Reactions: General.Massacre

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I haven't even looked in like 2 years, no idea. I know there's been talk of adding/updating, but not sure where things are. Find tables, see of they're right, see if they're useful, define in all roms, get them vetted, etc. It's not the same as someone just finding something interesting and posting it on a whim.

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
Hi all. So I managed to update to IKM0S successfully this weekend.
no errors at all.

Initial findings:
First drive is smooth, no issues or hesitations.
throttle input is very nice and crisp (I left the tables as they were)
I have the 335is 8606092 DCT flash on my TCU, and this together with the 1M flash provide very firm and precise gear shifts. I was pleasantly surprised.
I did find tho, my first log showed some pretty high Timing values for “*CRK” values. (In the 20deg range, this baffles me as ive never seen values that high)
The next log was max of 8deg during spikes. And there are a fair amount of timing pulls, I know that stock maps do naturally provide a lot of timing pulls. So I’m not too sure on this one as I haven’t compared to my IJE0S stock log yet.

EDIT:
So had a look at my logs in more detail, that log with the 20deg timing values was only part throttle at 2500rpm preparing for WOT haha, my mistake and apologies. within the actual WOT pull, timing does bounce around in the 4 - 8deg range, i am going to assume (for the meantime) that this is stock tune characteristics?

Also, what i have noticed, and @aus335iguy if you could pitch in with this, is the Sport button now plays a huge part, if im driving part throttle and cruising (D Mode), and i press it, the car feels alive, as in noticeably. I can maintain the same pedal position, press the Sport button and the car has a definate feel of power or response increase without adjusting the pedal.
If im in sport mode, (D Mode with sport button pressed), and switch off sport, the car feels as if ive taken all its power away, its pretty incredible, D Mode feels considerably lazy in just plain Drive mode, i generally drive with the sport mode pressed anyway, but it will be interesting to play with and experiment the differences over more long term. perhaps time to adapt would be beneficial.

Last edited: