N54 Flash IKMOS on your non IKMOS car 1M on a non M car

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
I was given stock ikmos bin and then a .mhd tune file. I was told to flash the ikmos and then flash my mhd tune. After doing that I also got CDBD error code.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I was given stock ikmos bin and then a .mhd tune file. I was told to flash the ikmos and then flash my mhd tune. After doing that I also got CDBD error code.
That's because the MDrive button is expected by IKM0S. @RSL will know more as he's messed with that a lot but there are toggles that your tuner needs to set to fit your vehicle.

Reactions: RSL

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
That's because the MDrive button is expected by IKM0S. @RSL will know more as he's messed with that a lot but there are toggles that your tuner needs to set to fit your vehicle.
I got it from Motiv so I wonder why it is not already toggled. What all does the IKMOS add? I did notice the throttle was super responsive. Is that the same setting the MHD has built into it? If so, should I not enable it in MHD? I am running into Reflex issues so I haven't been able to really mess with the car much.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
You need to flash 1M or M3 DSC or kill the code in the bin. Non-M DSC doesn't send that signal. If you plan to enable 1M button utility, need an M SZL. Most toggles should be on by default in IK except any that are DCT related.

Full 1M throttle settings in MHD flash time should be the same for most PV corrections.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I got it from Motiv so I wonder why it is not already toggled. What all does the IKMOS add? I did notice the throttle was super responsive. Is that the same setting the MHD has built into it? If so, should I not enable it in MHD? I am running into Reflex issues so I haven't been able to really mess with the car much.
1M has a lot of changes which are mainly focused around torque ramp rates. If you have a 6MT then IKM0S is pretty good.

The MHD 1M throttle option is really only a small part of the 1M changes. It alters the pedal input damping but does nothing for the dashpot and load damping.

BMW has 3 states for the N54. The basic soft 135/335/535 implementation, the more sporty Z4 setup and then the racecar 1M settings. This applies to the transmissions too where they have a softer more eco friendly setup for the 335i DCT and then a more aggressive Z4 config.

It is possible to bring the 1M torque ramping changes from IKM0S into the other ROMs but Motiv won't have those tables defined. It also sounds like they don't have the sport switch toggles either. They should be able to find the toggle to disable that code as Shiv posted a DIY to finding all error code delete toggles.

• Informative
Reactions: wheela

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
1M has a lot of changes which are mainly focused around torque ramp rates. If you have a 6MT then IKM0S is pretty good.

The MHD 1M throttle option is really only a small part of the 1M changes. It alters the pedal input damping but does nothing for the dashpot and load damping.

BMW has 3 states for the N54. The basic soft 135/335/535 implementation, the more sporty Z4 setup and then the racecar 1M settings. This applies to the transmissions too where they have a softer more eco friendly setup for the 335i DCT and then a more aggressive Z4 config.

It is possible to bring the 1M torque ramping changes from IKM0S into the other ROMs but Motiv won't have those tables defined. It also sounds like they don't have the sport switch toggles either. They should be able to find the toggle to disable that code as Shiv posted a DIY to finding all error code delete toggles.
Thanks. I do have a 6MT. Motiv takes so long to reply its faster for me to ask random people here or on FB. Thought about going Doc Vu since he replies faster.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
The code is in the master DTC list already, they'll just need to locate it. It's not hurting anything being on and if you want to do M button at some point, you're going to need it on.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
If you've already paid Motiv then it's best to just wait for them. Doc Vu is a pretty basic social media tuner, you're not going to get anything special there, I'd rather have one of Ken's current V10 OTS maps than a custom tune from anyone on Instagram.

• Agree
Reactions: RSL

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
If you've already paid Motiv then it's best to just wait for them. Doc Vu is a pretty basic social media tuner, you're not going to get anything special there, I'd rather have one of Ken's current V10 OTS maps than a custom tune from anyone on Instagram.
Yeah I probably won't. Motiv has good stuff I just hate waiting for emails.

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
Got a reply and reflashed MHD. Removed all the options in MHD except the higher RPM and made sure to select Motiv Reflex for eca. Car runs much better and doesn't have gun shot sounding back fires anymore.

One thing I did notice is the AFRs are lagggy when I come off throttle. Previously soon as I lifted they would shoot to 234 max. They are new index 12. Now when I lift it takes a second or two before they make the journey to 234. Is this part of the 1M setup? I am real anal about the AFRs not being correct and trims being off.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Got a reply and reflashed MHD. Removed all the options in MHD except the higher RPM and made sure to select Motiv Reflex for eca. Car runs much better and doesn't have gun shot sounding back fires anymore.

One thing I did notice is the AFRs are lagggy when I come off throttle. Previously soon as I lifted they would shoot to 234 max. They are new index 12. Now when I lift it takes a second or two before they make the journey to 234. Is this part of the 1M setup? I am real anal about the AFRs not being correct and trims being off.
Fuel cut isn't normally instant. It depends on what burble settings you have but the stock tune has around 0.3s of lag before cutting fuel after letting off.

Motiv might have altered the fuel cut delay in the tune.

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
Fuel cut isn't normally instant. It depends on what burble settings you have but the stock tune has around 0.3s of lag before cutting fuel after letting off.

Motiv might have altered the fuel cut delay in the tune.
Ah ok. Yea I don't know the tuning information and only know what I read and get told. And the common reading is that the AFR should spike to max as fast as possible but if that is altered that should be fine.

I do notice the AFRs bouncing around a lot more though with this setup. I drove to work and it seemed fine. Then after about 2.5 hours I had to run home again (20 m highway). Noticed AFR were maxing out and getting like 4 cat codes. So while I was home I flashed the reflex bin again (i might have messed this up last time I messed with the reflex) and then reflashed the mhd tune again but this time selecting aftermarket dps. On the way back to work the afr seemed to stay responsive but when I got to work I only had one code for o2 sensor related to signal. so I guess I will just keep an eye on it.

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
@carabuser can you take a look at this log? https://datazap.me/u/pysical/weird-stft-and-afr?log=0&data=3-20

This is 3 logs. One of driving in my neighborhood ~30mph. And the other 2 while on the highway. I was experiencing weird issues with AFR and trims cutting in and out, maxing, freezing, etc. I had these codes:

2C3D - DME: Oxygen sensor before catalytic converter: line fault.
2C3E - DME: Oxygen sensor 2 before catalytic converter: line fault.
2C7C - DME: Oxygen sensor 2 after catalytic converter: signal.
2CAA - DME: Oxygen sensor before catalytic converter: temperature
2CAB - DME: Oxygen sensor 2 before catalytic converter: temperature.

Now, I did not have any of these issues before I put the new 1m firmware on and flashed the mhd+ tune I got from Motiv. Wouldn't make sense to me that both o2 sensors went crap just from a tune change.

Also in case you know, I get some very very loud back fires that make the car un drivable. This happens when I select either the 2048 tq lim delete and PI coil cut safety in MHD when flashing the car. I have a feeling it is from the PI coil cut. Wasn't sure if you had any experience with this? I was told to flash the tune with those 2 settings but I can't drive the car with it making gun shot back fires.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
@carabuser can you take a look at this log? https://datazap.me/u/pysical/weird-stft-and-afr?log=0&data=3-20

This is 3 logs. One of driving in my neighborhood ~30mph. And the other 2 while on the highway. I was experiencing weird issues with AFR and trims cutting in and out, maxing, freezing, etc. I had these codes:

Now, I did not have any of these issues before I put the new 1m firmware on and flashed the mhd+ tune I got from Motiv. Wouldn't make sense to me that both o2 sensors went crap just from a tune change.

Also in case you know, I get some very very loud back fires that make the car un drivable. This happens when I select either the 2048 tq lim delete and PI coil cut safety in MHD when flashing the car. I have a feeling it is from the PI coil cut. Wasn't sure if you had any experience with this? I was told to flash the tune with those 2 settings but I can't drive the car with it making gun shot back fires.
Since you're paying Motiv to tune your car they are the ones that should support. You have no wastegate readings shown in logs so I assume your setup has external boost control and therefore single turbo.

There's probably a toggle their are missing in the tune, I believe ST cars need to disable the second pair of O2 sensors in the tune. I don't like all the band-aids that people use in these high power builds so I stay away from the topics as it's frustrating working with cars that have external boost control, tmap scaling and software mods to delete torque limiters. You end up with a Frankenstein setup held together with duct-tape and that doesn't sit well with my OCD!

• Agree
Reactions: wheela

ajoosten

Mar 26, 2018
Ride
135i

@pysical any update on your progress. I am also working with Motiv on getting tuned with the reflex and I am having similar AFR lag issues. I was ijeos and went through the same process to IKMOS. I have swapped around and tested all index 12 injectors and PI with no fuel leaks. But my AFRs don’t go the 234 immediately. Seems to depend on throttle input before let off on how the AFRs behave. I also seem to have a rougher idle now.

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
@pysical any update on your progress. I am also working with Motiv on getting tuned with the reflex and I am having similar AFR lag issues. I was ijeos and went through the same process to IKMOS. I have swapped around and tested all index 12 injectors and PI with no fuel leaks. But my AFRs don’t go the 234 immediately. Seems to depend on throttle input before let off on how the AFRs behave. I also seem to have a rougher idle now.
Reflex was spraying when it shouldn't. Causing backfires and lagging AFRs. Got the new map and backfires are gone and AFRs are getting more responsive.

Xantor

Private
Jan 3, 2023
Hey, for testing purposes I wanted to change the ROM of my IAN0S based manual 335is to the 1M ROM, the Ikm0s. Now the flashing itself works without any problem. I flashed a slightly modified stock bin from a US 1M via MHD.
HW shows that the car then is powered by ikm0s. Now when I want to flash an OTS Map (2+) it reverts back to Ian0s. Is there any way to fix that? Did I do something wrong?

I own a Super License and tried flashing back to stock (uninstalling MHD) and then flashing the 1m bin with no success. I read something regarding the ZB number somewhere. Is that the correct trail? Do I need a specific Custom tune for the new ROM? My car has a Aftermarket DP and a 7,5 fmic so nothing crazy.

I am new to all that so help would be greatly appreciated.

marv85

Private
Jun 14, 2018
Ride
E90 335i MT
@aus335iguy do you have an XDF for the “good” bin ? I need to edit the fuel scalar to account for ethanol. I’m seeing timing drops on all cylinders with the wonderful fuel we have here in California