Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I'm all for new things gotta be brave but I am curious why n54 If going pi as I thought di was a major benefit for knock prevention . I'm not putting down im just curious if you entertained a different motor.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
I'm all for new things gotta be brave but I am curious why n54 If going pi as I thought di was a major benefit for knock prevention . I'm not putting down im just curious if you entertained a different motor.
Easier going p.i with standalone vs controlling 2 sets of injectors with d.i being a limitation on fueling. Not to mention p.i keeping valves clean.

Throw 120lb injectors in a a standalone p.i setup and call it a day.

Reactions: Dgautowerksllc
Sep 2, 2018
Ride
A different single turbo 335i
Easier going p.i with standalone vs controlling 2 sets of injectors with d.i being a limitation on fueling. Not to mention p.i keeping valves clean.

My plan exactly.

Reactions: DCook

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
The stock DME, HPFP and the piezo injectors are a severely limiting factor on an N54
You cant enough fuel out of the HPFP to run DI only. You can get a double barrel but its difficult to control. You can go after market standalone but only motec and Syvecs can run the piezo's(correct me if i'm wrong)

Whack in a port plate, A standalone and all of that goes away and not to mention a lot of other maintenance and tuning issues with it.
That's not to say that it will always be the case. For the moment it makes things very simple.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
The stock DME, HPFP and the piezo injectors are a severely limiting factor on an N54
You cant enough fuel out of the HPFP to run DI only. You can get a double barrel but its difficult to control. You can go after market standalone but only motec and Syvecs can run the piezo's(correct me if i'm wrong)

Whack in a port plate, A standalone and all of that goes away and not to mention a lot of other maintenance and tuning issues with it.
That's not to say that it will always be the case. For the moment it makes things very simple.
Motec can't control them.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Motec M141 and M181 can if you special order them from Motec. I'm guessing there is something special they have to do to support the Piezo injectors.
That must be "new" since Motiv went through the hassle of machining an n54 head to accept n55 injectors in order to use a motec standalone.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5

Completely makes sense I know the di helping power band is moot because well big single but wasn't sure if you were losing potential due to higher risk of detonation. Def seems simpler and I guess at high power injection window is prob increased so much that their is still risk of pre ignition and obviously even though di our cars aren't knock proof it's prob just harder to blow rod through the block cause fuel isn't in cylinder for most of the compression stroke. I just was always under impression it was like diesel where di made it for most part impossible to have a knock event obviously I have learned otherwise since.

Silentkiller335i

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Why don’t you throw the car on race gas? It would be a more simple setup, Using DI only, you would be surprised at how far you can go with stock DI and race fuel. I’ve been at 29-30psi ST setup and a stage 2 lpfp and still negative trims with plenty of more fuel to go.

• Agree
Reactions: Jeffman
Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
Why don’t you throw the car on race gas? It would be a more simple setup, Using DI only, you would be surprised at how far you can go with stock DI and race fuel. I’ve been at 29-30psi ST setup and a stage 2 lpfp and still negative trims with plenty of more fuel to go.

How much timing are you running if I may ask? HPFP is very sensitive to timing request, even at the same boost/target AFR..

Sep 2, 2018
Ride
This route for me right is best as I can't deal with the little issues that's affiliated with the n54 dme, DI, mechanical pump and so on. I was running 28psi as well on my DI single turbo setup but too many damn hiccups.

Dreyo27

Corporal
Nov 28, 2016
Sacramento
Ride
2007 335i 2008 535i
this will probably be the first OEM drivetrain N54 in the 9s maybe 8s????
What he is doing is getting rid of all the things taht make N54 suck.
-Leaky injectors GONE
-HPFP failures GONE
-Carbon buildup GONE
thats 90% of issues with the N54 eliminated.
he now has access to cheap standalones, that offer him a ton of features!!!

Can we get more info on how you plugged the DI ports in the head?

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
-Leaky injectors GONE
-HPFP failures GONE
-Carbon buildup GONE

Forgot rods lol.

Probably just leave a set of factory d.i in there to seal up the hole would be my guess. Or tig weld it shut.

Sep 2, 2018
Ride
-Leaky injectors GONE
-HPFP failures GONE
-Carbon buildup GONE

Our goal right now is 9s and go from there. Thought about keeping Di and dme but I can't deal with it the extras.

I'll be posting more pics as I go, waiting on a few more piece to be finished.