Friend bought a stolen 135i from an auction. Help?

Deadlocked

Lurker
Nov 5, 2016
Friend of mine ended up buying a 135i from an auction was reported as stolen and ended up there. He was able to talk to contact the owner and find out that the car was stolen for about a week was FBO and has Jb4 on it and also had an E85 tune and apparently the thieves put 89 gas? He has no codes coming up.

He's not sure what the implications are now. Hit me up and asked me to find out what are the dangers/effects but I'm not sure myself to be honest. He tried to get into the JB4 by the steering wheel controls but it wasn't working for whatever reason ???

Now he's trying to figure out how to revert back to a 93 tune as it's been tuned for E85 and he doesn't want to run that but he's not sure how to? I'm pretty new to this platform myself and I'm trying to help him out. Also he drove the car down the street as I was with him and it seems like whenever he gets on the gas his RPM's surge but the car doesn't engage? Possible tranny slipping? What do you guys think/suggest?

Here's what it sounds like

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
So to get this straight, car was stolen, then insurance paid out the original owner and then got auctioned off to your friend?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
The JB4 runs on a map system, its a piggyback tune. Just to eliminate variables, honestly, I'd just take out the JB4. Not to mention, we are doing an MHD giveaway on this site, and its quite easy to switch back and forth between tunes using an android phone/tablet. If you insist on using the JB4, you can reinstall it properly once you know the car is functioning properly without it.

The car sounds fairly well, the ticking noise of the injectors is louder on a direct injected vehicle. Hard to tell without being there in person. Did all the fluids get checked etc?

Deadlocked

Lurker
Nov 5, 2016
Yup original owner was paid off and then it got auctioned. That's exactly what he plans on doing he's going to remove the Jb4 first. I've been pretty much been trying to help him out. That's good he was worried about the motor in general. He's going to go ahead and a compression and leak down test on the motor as well. I think the clutch may be slipping as well from what I've read since the RPM's jump up when he gives it gas. It's a 6MT.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Yeah, sounds like they burned the clutch out. How about the suspension? Any issues there? But regarding the tune, yank out the JB4 and just start from scratch and diagnose.

Danksies

Corporal
Nov 2, 2016
NoVA
mileage? dont forget a walnut blasting. i second the ticking noise being the fuel injectors. if you have index 11 or higher, you can run them in the same bank. indexes under 11 ive seen people say you can put whatever with whatever lol.

John@DBV2

Sergeant
Jan 23, 2017
Damn thats quite a risk. Why dont you just take it to a well known indy shop that specifies in these type of cars and have a really good inspection done. This could solve all of your issues easily. It may cost a couple hundred at most and could save alot of trouble.

Also, the 335is\550i clutch is a great cost effective option if the clutch is worn out.