Good adhesive for plastic and metal? - Angel Eye DIY Question

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Generally acrylic and metal is kind of a non adhesion winner. I agree - I'd use JB Weld - I also recommend you key the glue-up areas - rough them up at point of contact.

Filippo

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Generally acrylic and metal is kind of a non adhesion winner. I agree - I'd use JB Weld - I also recommend you key the glue-up areas - rough them up at point of contact.

Filippo

This. JB weld takes longer than the kwik set stuff but is stronger. Both are more than you likely need. The more the merrier just do not let people see it. I love me some JB weld.

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
This. JB weld takes longer than the kwik set stuff but is stronger. Both are more than you likely need. The more the merrier just do not let people see it. I love me some JB weld.
Yeah It won't be somewhere you can easily see.

Would JB weld work for the headlights? Somewhere that will take a load of vibrations over long period of time. Last thing I need is one falling off and I have to open headligh up again.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
It's more in the prep and glue-up, than in the glue. Key the areas with abrasive, use JB Weld, When you do the glue-up you might use 3M 233+ to help with clamping pressure. On the last part, 3M 233+ is a high adhesive tape with elasticity. If you play with it, you will realize that you can attach the tape to one side, stretch, attach to the other side and hold. This will create clamping pressure. If you can get a couple clamps on the headlight, that's great. You don't need king kong pressure, but you want it to go together well for the glue-up.

I use a lot of different glues in my work, including a number different epoxies. JB Weld is what I would use for this application. When we use to do endurance road racing, it was amazing how JB Weld held up for certain at-track repairs over a long weekend.

Filippo