Grinding/clicking while coasting low speeds. 335i xdrive, ideas?

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
Sounds like rocks being ground up slowly with a rotational clicking along with it. Sort of sounded like brakes at first but I can feel this in my seat almost. It feels either right under me or in front of me.

Ideas? Ive never heard it before today pulling into my neighborhood so I'm hoping nothing is too damaged.

09 335i AT xdrive, 150k miles

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
Put car in the air, nothing immediately obvious. Rotated the wheels but felt some resistance, unsure how much is correct amount for an xdrive in neutral. Rotated the driveshaft on its own, no immediate issues noticeable.

The noise WAS only present when off the throttle or rolling forward with no throttle applied, touch the gas and noise would go away. Part of the diagnostic I pulled my driveshaft, its in good shape. Flashed xdelete and drove rwd, now the noise is present constantly. Also a noticeable thrum/hum at higher speeds which wasnt there before.

This to me says its in the front end as now the 'load' of the throttle being applied isnt making a difference, since everything is just along for the ride. Seems most prevalent on passenger side, so I am feeling like CV shaft makes the most sense but it sounds so bad that the differential makes more logical sense to me.

I'm unable to have my car down so I am driving it with xdelete for now until I blindly order some replacement parts to throw money at it.

Anyone else have an issue like this and it turned out to be as simple as a CV?

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
transmission mounts?
guibo?

You can disconnect the front drive shaft and drive it rear wheel drive only to see if there is any difference

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
transmission mounts?
guibo?

You can disconnect the front drive shaft and drive it rear wheel drive only to see if there is any difference

I did end up disconnecting the front driveshaft and flashing xdelete. The noise got worse, it seems like the torque load from throttle was actually helping stop the noise until just off the pedal. Now it’s constant.

I feel like that determines its front end related. Diff, cv maybe.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
If it sounds like any of these clips.... you got planetary gear assembly damage like I did. I had the rear planetary gears replaced under warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: typedRew

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
The unloading making louder could be CV joint . I would look their if it doesn't seem like the sound is same as matreya videos

Reactions: typedRew

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
Yeah it doesn’t sound anything like that and it’s much more pronounced to the front of the car for sure. And removing driveshaft and doing xdelete made it all the time instead of only off throttle. That change alone makes me think it’s front end stuff not trans

As of now I just have to roll with it until a friend of mine gets back in town and I can get his used oem stocker axle. Way too many bad stories from parts store axles I’ve seen and new oem is more than I want to spend on a maybe.

Also does seem to get worse when turning slowly. It’s still there when going straight. But seems slightly worse when sawing the wheel or turning steady. I’m not sure but cv or diff is still my thought. Or maybe that little carrier bearing mount for the passenger side axle.