Grinding noise shift into park on jackstands

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Below is a video link of a guy with the same problem I just had. The car was on jack stands during a routine ATF fluid check - and I shift it through the gears and when I return to park position this started to happen.

This happened after I made some physical adjustments to the down pipes rubbing against the passenger side subframe. I push the mid pipes to the left side of the car after loosening the bolts of the brace connected to the mid pipes and the rear of the transmission, then I retightened that brace and when I let go of the mid pipes the exhaust system pulled the transmission to the right ever-so-slightly.

Some people have said that if the wheels are spinning and it's put into Park this noise may occur because the CV shaft is floating. However the brakes were on the entire time so the wheels were not turning.

Some people also said that this is a BMW safety feature if the door is open and the car is in gear I don't know what that even means because there was no grinding in any gears - only when I put it back in park.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
that sounds awful :(

Don't know what the hell it was, but I went ahead and topped off ATF...which didn't even need topping off, then I put the parking brake on, closed the door, put into drive, neutral and back to park - well I be damned, no more grinding noise. This makes me suspect that the grinding was a result of the differential and CV joint/gear connects getting disconnected and floating when the car was on jackstands and when putting into park, the shaft kept spinning and that's what made that sound. when the parking brake was on, nothing was in motion so no sound.

Good thing too, with a new PD transmission I would jump off bridge if it turned out to be a bad tranny.