Half Cage interest

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
Thread revival but wanted to document in case others searched for cages like I did.

You need to understand what you want to do with your car. Time attack and drag racing have specific rules. For NHRA/IHRA all roll bars and cages must be welded together, not bolted (except the door bars I believe down to a specific time, don't remember). I'm sure time attack is the same. There is no roll bar or cage design for E9x available off the shelf to meet NHRA/IHRA. Will have to be custom $$$.

Cage is not the same as roll bar.

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
Thread revival but wanted to document in case others searched for cages like I did.

You need to understand what you want to do with your car. Time attack and drag racing have specific rules. For NHRA/IHRA all roll bars and cages must be welded together, not bolted (except the door bars I believe down to a specific time, don't remember). I'm sure time attack is the same. There is no roll bar or cage design for E9x available off the shelf to meet NHRA/IHRA. Will have to be custom $$$.

Cage is not the same as roll bar.
Check out vivid racing. They have weld in roll bars and cages for the e92. I currently have their roll bar sitting at my house waiting to be installed

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
I saw those. If the pictures are representative of what you get then they aren't NHRA/IHRA legal even though the description says "drag racing" legal.

Roll bar doesn't have door bars and the cage doesn't have D bars. A good tech following the book to a tee (and obviously knows how fast the car has run or is capable) would spot this. Not saying you won't be fine as tracks vary , just saying it's not compliant according to the rulebook.

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
It's a
I saw those. If the pictures are representative of what you get then they aren't NHRA/IHRA legal even though the description says "drag racing" legal.

Roll bar doesn't have door bars and the cage doesn't have D bars. A good tech following the book to a tee (and obviously knows how fast the car has run or is capable) would spot this. Not saying you won't be fine as tracks vary , just saying it's not compliant according to the rulebook.[/QUOTE
It's a good starting point especially if only thing required is a roll bar. You would just need to add door bars to make it a 6 point. The rules on cages change every so often. Most people with these cars wont need a full cage. It is also track depending like you mentioned. If you can get majority of the stuff like from vivid and only have to add a couple bars your saving yourself alot of $$$.

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
It's a good starting point especially if only thing required is a roll bar. You would just need to add door bars to make it a 6 point. The rules on cages change every so often. Most people with these cars wont need a full cage. It is also track depending like you mentioned. If you can get majority of the stuff like from vivid and only have to add a couple bars your saving yourself alot of $$$.

I agree with you, this is also an option which will suite most of the people who drag race. I'm just being transparent as possible for others so they are aware they may not be able to take their modified N54 to the track to run lower than 11.49 sec without passing tech first.

Nonetheless, report back know how fitment is. I'm curious. I'm currently working out the details with a chassis shop regarding a 10 pt cage.

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
Well I've already ran faster than 11.49 without a cage. You shouldn't have any problems at tech as long as you're not trying to get your nhra cert. If you think you're going to have problems at a track then you can run no et so no one can see your time except you. I see people do it all the time. A half cage would never meet nhra cert anyway so that's a non issue.

Das-AutoWerkz

Lurker
Apr 1, 2019
Ride
E92 N54
IMG-3018.jpg

IMG-3020.jpg

IMG-3019.jpg

please let me know if this becomes available! can you guess what color i want lol