Has anyone installed the Vargas shotgun yet?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Super thread. Rich with information, but prepare to spend 20 minutes reading the 10 pages. Some threadmarks would help.

On parts just a cliff note:
Fuelab 6 micron filter(to replace HPFP filter) Fuelab 81831-1 http://www.jegs.com/i/Fuelab/083/81831-1/10002/-1
Russell -6AN to 3/8 twist-loc2 connectors fuel filter to lines 624013 Twist-Lok Black 6-AN Straight Hose Endhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BTB5XC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

This post talks about the install on my E89 Z4. https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/e89-z4-atacama-yellow-build.3022/page-6#post-39766 ... not sure if someone has info on installs with other chassis cars.

Filippo

TSRfast

Lurker
Feb 6, 2018
Ride
335xi
This is a big bummer that we cannot get the shotgun to fit the XI. I want to go to the MMP 1k Turbos. In California the visual emission inspections make me want to avoid anything that makes the car look modified. SO putting in a supplemental low pressure injector rail scares me.. and is way more complicated. I agree I spent a lot of time looking at my 335xi and with the current Vargas set up it would hit the steering rack. The subframe I think you have enough room.

one idea I had was if you could change the bracket to move the shotgun more forward to provide clearance. Then use some spacers or change the pully to have a lot of rear offset... to get the belt to line up. I dont think you would have enough room in front. The radiator may hit it.

Other idea would be to move the shotgun to the top of the engine... next to the Alternator. This would again require some serious re engineering of the Shotgun bracket.. and also makes it more obvious in an emissions inspection. ITs also not necessarily a violation to move your fuel pump...

The big bummer is you really need to experiment a lot to make this work. even have an engine out of the car...

I attached 2 pictures. It would seem possible to use the 2 Alternator mounting bolts to move the shot gun to the top of the engine line it up with the pulley. It would require you to move my current blow off valve.. and maybe the Cone intakes but it maybe possible. and the fuel lines may need some reworking. but I think you can fit the HPFP at the top.

That is the one restriction, even with the RWD cars, there is only about a 1/2 inch from the back of the pump(and corresponding fuel inlet) and the steering rack.

View attachment 10845
n54alternator.jpg
n542.jpg

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
What actually hits, the pump body or just the inlet to the pump.

Can the pump be installed at all without any attachments eg wiring or hoses ?

TSRfast

Lurker
Feb 6, 2018
Ride
335xi
Another interesting idea.... Maybe you could modify the alternator... so that the shaft goes all the way out the back and you can mount the shotgun on the back of the alternator. All it may require is taking apart the alternator and machining or welding an extension and hole bearing in the back of the housing. Or even build in a bearing to the front of the shotgun. I think you would have enough room to get the HPFP behind the alternator. Just thoughts.. Love to find a way to get this to work on the xdrive

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Shafts as they get longer can have interesting vibration issues, especially when you drive things off the end of the shaft.

Filippo

TSRfast

Lurker
Feb 6, 2018
Ride
335xi
I agree.. but I think if you had a mount on the rear of the alternator.. that had a bearing inside it would limit strain and vibration. it may require a support bracket.. but that would not be hard as the head and the intake are there for a lot of places to put a support.

Shafts as they get longer can have interesting vibration issues, especially when you drive things off the end of the shaft.

Filippo

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
There is a much easier way to do this, electric pmw controlled electric motor strong enough to run this pump.

It would need another controller to run it that is rpm referenced.

Anything can be done but it would be rather costly.

Much easier and less expensive way would be get a syvecs and a s55 pump setup and two xdi pumps.

No matter what way you choose to reinvent this is going to be more expensive to develop it from scratch.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I agree.. but I think if you had a mount on the rear of the alternator.. that had a bearing inside it would limit strain and vibration. it may require a support bracket.. but that would not be hard as the head and the intake are there for a lot of places to put a support.

Try it, but you have to consider the alternator uses a special pulley, and the shotgun is over driven.

The other problem is the vibration on a long shaft ehich was mentioned. It's something that is already a concern I've been monitoring.

glachhman

Lurker
Dec 16, 2016
Any possibilty of running the double shotgun without the AIC? Why can't we splice it into the 2 pin connector on current HPFP? JW how the stock HPFP is controlled.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Ita been tried long time ago but the ecu flips out and takes massive dives in fuel pressure from what I remember.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
That's not it dude, the electrical connector on the pump only controls the opening and closing of the pressure release valve and doesn't see any sort of pump speed.

I'm only guessing here but it must be due to the feedback coming from the opening and closing position of the valves and if one is ever so slightly out of synch from the other, the dme throws a wobbly.

It would be extremely hard for two solenoids than are pwm controlled to work of the same parallel circuit it confuses the system controlling it.

glachhman

Lurker
Dec 16, 2016
2nd question is why can't we just connect the second pump to the hobbs like we do with the LPFP

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
Pump speed dictates pressure. I don't see how the position of the valves would have anything to do with it but I would assume the high pressure switch in rail should correlate with the pressure in the HPFP control valve. Just a thought.;)

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I dont know the exact science behind it.

What I mean by valves is the solonoid in the hpfp as its basically a valve

But the solonoid is not open and closed by voltage but by pwm so this is why the aic is used.

Last edited:

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90

Filippo

If vortech was able to make a supercharger shaft the length of a motor (B16), an edge inch or so shouldn't introduce much vibration.

Comptech does the same for blowers on the J series motors

glachhman

Lurker
Dec 16, 2016
I'm thinking about trying to explore this with a solid state relay or something. Going to do some research.