Heat Taping the FMIC

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
I got to thinking about heat management today. We spend too much time and money trying to dissipate heat from every inch of our engine bays... Or on the contrary we completely overlook it. I often see images of gold taped charge pipes and intake manifolds, but something I seldom see is taped intercoolers. I think there may be an advantage (although slight) to wrapping the non exchange surfaces of our intercoolers in a reflective tape. Even if you only wrapped the top and bottom you would deflect heat from the engine and heat from the road on those two surfaces. Also considering that there is no insulating value to the tape, there shouldnt be any downside to this. If you have thought of this, tried this, or know of someone who has, I would like to hear your thoughts, opinions, theories and conclusions on this matter. Also if you have a product recommendation, that would be nice too. I have personally been considering Heatshield Products Cool Gold tape, but it seems pretty pricy compared to other options on the market.

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
There's not many places you could tape it up where it wouldnt prevent functionality and, there isn't much heat that would be dispersed there first. It's about stopping heat from spreading not hoping to cool down things from soak. By the time heat had consumed your Intercooler.. it's too late.

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
Derek nailed it. Once it starts to heatsoak, she gone. Proper ducting will be way more efficient and essentially free. Also be sure your ic is sized efficiently. And if youre still worried, meth is a GREAT cooler. . .
I am so tempted to make a sprayer kit and throw it on my old stock intercooler just to see what I could come up with.