helix overdrive or vtt single barrell

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
I cant say I would recommend either.

In my experience VTT has always has had great customer service, but pretty much everyone of their products I have owned had issues out of the box. I admit some small, but still frustrating when spending a good bit of money. My shotgun kit pulley had a ton of run out, replacement was the same, the belt was too short and the cooling hose solution is a hack. The belt is able to be installed, but the tensioner is almost maxed out. Once sorted it works fairly well, but I have seen a few cases of brackets that have failed. For the money the fit and finish just isn't there IMO.

I think the Helix is too new to tell. I have seen numerous issues from the vac cover cracks, units leaking, and internal engine issues.

All that being said I was hung up on staying DI only. I came across a great deal on a PI Intake manifold setup and gave it a shot. I have zero complaints or issues.

i was in the same scenario. waiting on a hpfp solution. then i got a great price on a used PI plate and AIC so i said screw it ill try it. Car absolutely rips and nice to know my HPFP is not being spun 3x.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
We have over 20 single and double barrel kits under our belt without a single mechanical or structural failure, there has been hundreds of these kits sold now.

Im almost certain without physically inspecting them, the 3 that failed weren't installed properly to begin with or where done by an inexperienced installer.

Show me the failure and I can tell you where they went wrong.

I also do pi for ones that want it but we do it the proper way via top mounted injectors where they are the most beneficial spraying directly down the port via our ff manifolds we supply from plazmaman.

Dont worry about over spinning the factory orbital pump, I've seen more failures of the pump in the stock location running at factory speeds and none in over 3 years when over driven.

At the end of the day choose what ever kit you feel comfortable with, its your money.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
We have over 20 single and double barrel kits under our belt without a single mechanical or structural failure, there has been hundreds of these kits sold now.

Im almost certain without physically inspecting them, the 3 that failed weren't installed properly to begin with or where done by an inexperienced installer.

I also do pi for ones that want it but we do it the proper way via top mounted injectors where they are the most beneficial spraying directly down the port via our ff manifolds we supply from plazmaman.

Dont worry about over spinning the factory orbital pump, I've seen more failures of the pump in the stock location running at factory speeds and none in over 3 years when over driven.

At the end of the day choose what ever kit you feel comfortable with, its your money.

Shill

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i

My bracket failed, i also know of two other people that have had their bracket fail, one of which also had the actual barrel break.
We must all be very inexperienced installers then, it's funny that after rewelding and reinforcing mine, it has been fine since.
I must have suddenly became an experienced installer.

Nosrok

Private
Jan 31, 2017
My bracket failed, i also know of two other people that have had their bracket fail, one of which also had the actual barrel break.
We must all be very inexperienced installers then, it's funny that after rewelding and reinforcing mine, it has been fine since.
I must have suddenly became an experienced installer.
you can add me to that list BUT i'd still recommend the shotgun over the helix, been running the shotgun setup since early 2018 and then upgraded to the double in early 2019.

i'd rather deal with a broken bracket that can get welded up and reinforced as opposed to the issues i've seen with the helix kits. I hope those issues go away, having multiple good fueling options is better for everyone.

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
you can add me to that list BUT i'd still recommend the shotgun over the helix, been running the shotgun setup since early 2018 and then upgraded to the double in early 2019.

i'd rather deal with a broken bracket that can get welded up and reinforced as opposed to the issues i've seen with the helix kits. I hope those issues go away, having multiple good fueling options is better for everyone.

What issues have you seen with the helix kits? How can you recommend one over another without having tried both? I havent really seen issues with the helix 3x since the bracket came out

Reactions: b4llistic

Nosrok

Private
Jan 31, 2017
What issues have you seen with the helix kits? How can you recommend one over another without having tried both? I havent really seen issues with the helix 3x since the bracket came out
the issues with the kits are pretty well known and documented around the forums. i don't need to have direct experience with a product that breaks parts of the car it's attached to to understand it's not something i would put on my car. And i would never recommend something i wouldn't put on my own car.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I don't know if there are design revisions for the shotgun setups, but I also know someone who is very experienced (professional) that had a single barrel fail. I saw the photos. Some failures are not going to be unusual for any product, especially early on. THere just is no substitute for a product going into the wild to really shake out the gremlins.

Filippo

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54
EDIT: Thanks your finding and reading my post. Unfortunately, Spoolstreet is no longer a neutral platform where we can have honest discussions on subjects and products freely.
For this reason I have deleted all information I posted on the forums.

Last edited:

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
I'm running the helix X3 as well without any issues for 5000 km at 27 psi on E80 mixes
The 4x seems to cause issues for people. My friend broke his low pressure sensor line again I believe due to the extreme fuel pressure of the 4x

Jern54

Sergeant
Oct 18, 2019
Netherlands
Ride
E91 N54 335i
How is that possible? The hard-line is just feeding the hpfp so I don't get what you mean with the discharge pressure. Maybe the x4 causes more vibrations?

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
It has to be something due with extra vibrations or install possibly but it's the second time it happened to him and the second time the car caught on fire and nearly burned to the ground

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
IMG_20201015_130921337.jpg

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Took off my helix because I decided to go port Injection and this is what find. I would highly suggest against buying second hand helix's will not get warrantied. Nice oily paperweight I geuss.

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
Is that oil from the engine, or oil from inside the helix ?