Help / Advice Sought: PR Coils ignition Codes and Misfires

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Well my cylinder 2 electrical problems have returned. :coldsweat:
It started a few months ago. Started to get 2E19 DME Firing Cyl 2, especially after the engine had completely warmed up and idling or driving slowly in a parking lot or garage.
At the time spark plug 2 was only hand right. Code seemed to go away after plug was re-torqued.
2E19 then returned so I switched out the PR coil pack with a new spare one. All seemed fine for about a week, and then today the engine started to rough idle as I entered my garage after driving an hour. 2E19 returned along with misfire code 29CE (Combustion misfires Cyl 2) and SES light. No other codes.

So I’m ruling out the PR coil pack since I’m getting the same error despite changing out the old for a new coil pack. In another thread the coil wire was loose - I’m pretty confident the coil wire was tight on both the plug and the coil pack connections, but I’ll try switching coil wires 1 and 2.

Thanks in advance for any other advice / suggestions.

Last edited:

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
@V8bait Justin, I’m curious if you have any thoughts about this? Thanks.

I'd check the harness or adapter, maybe a loose connection somewhere. Seems like you've ruled out the other stuff. Easy way would be flash factory dwell and throw a stock coil in that pot without the adapter. If you're the old depin harness maybe redo the connections, not super easy as the shrinks have thermal glue to make the connections watertight and strong but that could be your issue. Other common places I see harness issues are near the rear of the valve cover, wires get pinched when people replace the vcg all the time.

The fact it runs great otherwise leads me to believe the components are fine and you have an intermittent issue somewhere, usually that's wiring.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Yesterday I had switched PR plug wires 1 an 2 and checked connections three times to make sure everything clicked into place. Problem plug 2 wire may have been loose at first(?) - maybe the source of the problem? Fully warmed up and ran a log - no misfires no DME Cylinder 2 codes on WOT , etc.
Reflashed this morning and then this afternoon did a couple of WOTs and the Cylinder 2 codes and misfire SES came right back. Cleared codes. Cooled engine a little and restarted - it idled roughly and threw codes and misfire SES again.

So in summary: getting same Cylinder 2 misfire and DME Cyl 2 codes.
Changing the #2 plug for new didn’t make a difference.
Changing the coil pack made no difference.
Changing the coil wire made no difference.

Any more ideas?

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I'd check the harness or adapter, maybe a loose connection somewhere. Seems like you've ruled out the other stuff. Easy way would be flash factory dwell and throw a stock coil in that pot without the adapter. If you're the old depin harness maybe redo the connections, not super easy as the shrinks have thermal glue to make the connections watertight and strong but that could be your issue. Other common places I see harness issues are near the rear of the valve cover, wires get pinched when people replace the vcg all the time.

The fact it runs great otherwise leads me to believe the components are fine and you have an intermittent issue somewhere, usually that's wiring.
Thanks for the advice, Justin. I have the upgraded harness with OEM connectors (for this very reason, lol) and will throw in the stock coil and flash factory dwell (PR ignition not checked in MHD) and give it a try. Pretty sure it’s not the valve cover pinching wires, but will double check that too.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Thanks for the advice, Justin. I have the upgraded harness with OEM connectors (for this very reason, lol) and will throw in the stock coil and flash factory dwell (PR ignition not checked in MHD) and give it a try. Pretty sure it’s not the valve cover pinching wires, but will double check that too.

I had a misfire with PR coils before like you it turns out it was a connector misaligned from incorrect plugging in procedure. The end where you plug the connector into the coil itself is very sensitive to angle of approach. See video.

VT

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I had a misfire with PR coils before like you it turns out it was a connector misaligned from incorrect plugging in procedure. The end where you plug the connector into the coil itself is very sensitive to angle of approach. See video.

VT

Thanks, VT. Good advice as well. I’ll take a look at this connectors as well. Since it is a mechanical connection, like all things mechanical, heat can exacerbate hidden issues. Indeed, my 2E19 / misfires popped up only after the engine was fully heated up. I’m checking now and will report back later.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017

VT

VT - U DA MAN!!!!!
Check out my #2 connector (which was also not clipped in tightly on the other side to the stock connector). The lead on the right is squished down.

Now let’s see if I can straighten out the lead without breaking it.
(UPDATE : I didn’t attempt to straighten out the errant connector as I was able to take the black triangle connector off the other end and install it on one of the original PR connector wires that didn’t have the black triangular connectors, as described below).
979415B7-DFED-40A4-AAC1-2BBF877F6F49.jpeg

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I would depin and very carefully inspect the plastic detent area and the pin for conformity. Unless the pin was never completely set in the connector, this could be a recurring issue. Glad you didn't have to do a leak down and compression test ... nice sleuthing by other here!

Filippo

Reactions: Jeffman

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I
VT - U DA MAN!!!!!
Check out my #2 connector (which was also not clipped in tightly on the other side to the stock connector). The lead on the right is squished down.

Now let’s see if I can straighten out the lead without breaking it.View attachment 27988

Ordered extra for insurance. But i made it a point never to disconnect at that point again. Only at plug tip point will I disconnect.

• Informative

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Luckily I still had the original PR connectors that didn’t have triangular connectors for the black plastic ignition housings of the OEM ignition bundle. So I depinned the errant connector shown above from its triangular connector and inserted the pins of one of the original PR connectors (of course I took a picture before depinning to make sure I put the brown, white and orange wires into the right slots, lol). Used a jeweler’s screwdriver to press in the pins for depinning purposes. More photos below.
BD98C652-9AE2-4A42-894E-4D460FDE6A1D.jpeg

D4DD3E0A-3120-4EB3-9CEC-E15210100498.jpeg

90A139F3-8117-4B0F-A863-848810E204A1.jpeg

7E107642-22D0-4927-90F1-8EFDCB9C04FB.jpeg

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Luckily I still had the original PR connectors that didn’t have triangular connectors for the black plastic ignition housings of the OEM ignition bundle. So I depinned the errant connector shown above from its triangular connector and inserted the pins of one of the original PR connectors (of course I took a picture before depinning to make sure I put the brown, white and orange wires into the right slots, lol). Used a jeweler’s screwdriver to press in the pins for depinning purposes. More photos below.
View attachment 27997

View attachment 27998

View attachment 27999

View attachment 28000
You won't misfire anymore.

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Super helpful thread, thanks for documenting everything!

I got exactly the same code yesterday. 2E19 DME Firing Cyl 2. Never had this code before. It happened on my way home from a time attack event as I pulled up and parked at a gas station. The rough idle disappeared as soon as I left the gas station and never came back during the rest of the trip.

This is happening a few days after checking spark plugs (and doing a compression test) last week, so I assume somethings up with my connector as well. Will check and report back this weekend.

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Super helpful thread, thanks for documenting everything!

I got exactly the same code yesterday. 2E19 DME Firing Cyl 2. Never had this code before. It happened on my way home from a time attack event as I pulled up and parked at a gas station. The rough idle disappeared as soon as I left the gas station and never came back during the rest of the trip.

This is happening a few days after checking spark plugs (and doing a compression test) last week, so I assume somethings up with my connector as well. Will check and report back this weekend.

hmm mine doesn't look too bad... shall see if the problem returns.

IMG_20190714_143244.jpg

Last edited: