Help from someone with connected drive w/ RTTI

rhodesman

Corporal
Mar 21, 2017
Maryland
rhodesman.com
Ride
2010 BMW E88 N54 135i
Background: I'm working on a way to display waze live traffic data on the iDrive map by parsing the waze traffic data into the same format that BMW uses. I have everything working to grab the data from waze and parse the data into the protocol for BMW (TPEG tpegml (i.e. XML) format, FYI).

Problem: The issue I face is that I don't have the combox version on the CIC iDrive. My car was literally built the month before BMW started to offer the combox back in 2010. I have gone into the CIC and activated the traffic data RTTI system even though my TCU/MULF does not have the proper connected to make use of those services. My hope was that at the very least, the CIC would create an empty XML file or DB in preparation of the RTTI traffic data, but that assumption proved to be wrong. I can get Traffic via FM RDS-TMC data so that works, but is not as extensive as waze traffic data is due to TMC not having enough data bandwidth.

Help: I need someone who:
  1. has a combox with an active RTTI connection
  2. has and OBD-> Ethernet cable and knows how to telnet into the CIC system and has some experience with linux command line. (if you don't have a cable I have a DIY on how to make your own)
Please let me know if you can help, I'm just stuck trying to figure out where the CIC is storing the traffic data and how that data might look coming from BMW (FYI, in the USA, the traffic service is provided by HERE Traffic).

freerider23

Feb 1, 2018
Ride
VW Passat B5.5, BMW E36 328i
Background: I'm working on a way to display waze live traffic data on the iDrive map by parsing the waze traffic data into the same format that BMW uses. I have everything working to grab the data from waze and parse the data into the protocol for BMW (TPEG tpegml (i.e. XML) format, FYI).

Problem: The issue I face is that I don't have the combox version on the CIC iDrive. My car was literally built the month before BMW started to offer the combox back in 2010. I have gone into the CIC and activated the traffic data RTTI system even though my TCU/MULF does not have the proper connected to make use of those services. My hope was that at the very least, the CIC would create an empty XML file or DB in preparation of the RTTI traffic data, but that assumption proved to be wrong. I can get Traffic via FM RDS-TMC data so that works, but is not as extensive as waze traffic data is due to TMC not having enough data bandwidth.

Help: I need someone who:
  1. has a combox with an active RTTI connection
  2. has and OBD-> Ethernet cable and knows how to telnet into the CIC system and has some experience with linux command line. (if you don't have a cable I have a DIY on how to make your own)
Please let me know if you can help, I'm just stuck trying to figure out where the CIC is storing the traffic data and how that data might look coming from BMW (FYI, in the USA, the traffic service is provided by HERE Traffic).

Hi, did you solved it? We have BMW service, so i have some "desktop" units (outside car), but can try. I'm Linux amateur, but sometime using it.... Now I'm try to run QNX in VM with mirrored HDD from CIC to VM for testing.

Don't know if can share other external pages, so please admin if this is wrong way to edit.... But I'm part of FB group, specialized for NAV repairs (SW+HW) so add yourself for helping :)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CarNaviRepairs/

Last edited:

rhodesman

Corporal
Mar 21, 2017
Maryland
rhodesman.com
Ride
2010 BMW E88 N54 135i
Hi, did you solved it? We have BMW service, so i have some "desktop" units (outside car), but can try. I'm Linux amateur, but sometime using it.... Now I'm try to run QNX in VM with mirrored HDD from CIC to VM for testing.

Don't know if can share other external pages, so please admin if this is wrong way to edit.... But I'm part of FB group, specialized for NAV repairs (SW+HW) so add yourself for helping :)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CarNaviRepairs/

What I am looking for is that the CIC must be storing the traffic messages on the CIC....somewhere. I know it's directly storing them in the swap mem (as navcore_tmc_shm0) when it receives them but I cant get a dump of that memory that is in some readable format I can use. I'm hoping that the CIC is storing the traffic info in an XML file, SQL file or something like that which is legible to humans that can in some way indicate how it's formatting the data and what it looks like. I just need to know how the data is formatted so I can tailor the waze data to the same format.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Just a thought and could be way off track... Could you not use the other guys bench test setup and monitor file size of suspected folders to see where it’s going into ?