Home/Computer Audio

[email protected]

800HP Club (N54)
Platinum Vendor
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Ha! It's all in the calibration. The analogy isn't quite correct but think of a large turbo with increased boost as RPM raises to target a rising torque curve all the way to redline. You'd need to move a ton of air up top to do so, and you'd leave a ton of potential on the table in the midrange rpm's. That is not completely dissimilar to what I'm doing here. ~60hz or so I'm pulling down 15dB of response to keep it on target down below 20hz, and be able to play at decent volumes down there. Remember, for every octave you drop (halving of frequency), you need 4x the excursion to play at the same sound level, so it's easy to "run out of steam" so to speak if you truly want something that drops very low.

But yes, there is a nice tactile component to being so nearfield. Love it.

Chris

Reactions: R.G.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ha! It's all in the calibration. The analogy isn't quite correct but think of a large turbo with increased boost as RPM raises to target a rising torque curve all the way to redline. You'd need to move a ton of air up top to do so, and you'd leave a ton of potential on the table in the midrange rpm's. That is not completely dissimilar to what I'm doing here. ~60hz or so I'm pulling down 15dB of response to keep it on target down below 20hz, and be able to play at decent volumes down there. Remember, for every octave you drop (halving of frequency), you need 4x the excursion to play at the same sound level, so it's easy to "run out of steam" so to speak if you truly want something that drops very low.

But yes, there is a nice tactile component to being so nearfield. Love it.

Chris

That...is actually a great analogy. Did not know that. I do know 4 JBL 12s will knock some windows out cranked to 11 tho. That is some serious equipment.