How close are we to O2s in DP?

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
I think jyamona mentioned this would be in development after MHD launched for iOS. Do we have any updates on this?

Any chance us ST guys could get a donation together to push this along? Would really love to get boost readings out of the DP instead of pre turbo

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
I think jyamona mentioned this would be in development after MHD launched for iOS. Do we have any updates on this?

Any chance us ST guys could get a donation together to push this along? Would really love to get boost readings out of the DP instead of pre turbo

Boost?

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
I posted in the other thread about donations etc to get it going, and it just got ignored. Even volunteered to try and help. Cause going on 9 of bosch 17098 o2s in my doc kit. Never got an email back from speedtech about advs, and not paying 400+ for motivs adv. Can't seem to find a reputation place to get them myself and make my own. Just ready to give it all up and ls swap the fuckin thing. At least then it'll be reliable and wont have o2 issues.

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
I posted in the other thread about donations etc to get it going, and it just got ignored. Even volunteered to try and help. Cause going on 9 of bosch 17098 o2s in my doc kit. Never got an email back from speedtech about advs, and not paying 400+ for motivs adv. Can't seem to find a reputation place to get them myself and make my own. Just ready to give it all up and ls swap the fuckin thing. At least then it'll be reliable and wont have o2 issues.

I got about 15k out of NTK sensors. But the Bosch are literally half the price on amazon.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I know of one car that is running on post turbo O2 sensors only, but can’t say anything about it. I’m also pretty sure that the project was fully abandoned, but don’t know the answer why, as the car has been running fine for years now. So, it is possible and others could work it out on their own if motivated enough.

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
Just ready to give it all up and ls swap the fuckin thing.

I know how you feel.... if I were to have my time again I would have jumped straight to a PI only conversion with stand alone, or an LS swap. Both cases gets you back to engine control basics that are well developed with plenty of support. Until then you are always p8ssing against the wind, some days its a breeze and some days its a hurricane...

@Chris@Motiv has been testing and driving a single bank set-up for some time and may be able to elaborate and how close it is to technically being ready for a flash release.

r.

• Agree
Reactions: The Convert

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
It’s just stupid because I’m not demanding it free. I would pitch in on development and pay for it as a flash option in mhd if I had to

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
It’s just stupid because I’m not demanding it free. I would pitch in on development and pay for it as a flash option in mhd if I had to
But the question is, would the money gained from continuing work on this be greater than the money made from simpler/easier work on newer platforms with a bigger user base? I think you know the answer. The N54 is basically done, sadly.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Theres some more features coming, but yes, I do believe we're watching the sun set on innovations from the usual sources. Most of my N54 buddies have blown up, parted out or upgraded. I still haven't hit the dyno, 2-3k miles of straight datalogs.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
It would still be nice though to have some of the features we were offered at one point though, regardless if they advance to other areas, so we can continue dumping money into a dumpster fire of a car. At least to me anyway.

• Funny
Reactions: doublespaces

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I love this platform but its hard to innovate when the parts cost half of what the car does or more.

Any single turbo kit is worth more than the car and you will never get your money back.

This platform is still being fuelled by loyal and hardcore owners but once the new platforms start getting
cheaper the owners will just move on in the next year or two.

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST

I think enough people feel like that to raise some cash. I would have donated for sure before I went stand alone. but at the time knowing how long I would likely be waiting for an outcome, do I stick around on the platform and hope a problem is solved by 2023, only to run into a new problem that I cant solve - and wait another 3 years? no way that's crazy, life's too short. at some point you just have to solve it yourself or move on.

n54 itself is a pretty solid alloy short block imo, for someone wanting a boosted bmw straight 6. take engine management & DI out of the equation, its got good durability to weight and the mechanical failure points not too hard to mechanically improve.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I love this platform but its hard to innovate when the parts cost half of what the car does or more.

Any single turbo kit is worth more than the car and you will never get your money back.
I never understand when people try and make this argument...the cost of parts relative to the price of the vehicle means nothing. The steering factor is the overall investment, not individual prices.

Never getting your money back is also not a valid point. You’re nodding a car, you’ll never get your money back period. Cars are money pits and terrible investments. If you go into it expecting a return on your investment, you’re not all there.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I think enough people feel like that to raise some cash. I would have donated for sure before I went stand alone. but at the time knowing how long I would likely be waiting for an outcome, do I stick around on the platform and hope a problem is solved by 2023, only to run into a new problem that I cant solve - and wait another 3 years? no way that's crazy, life's too short. at some point you just have to solve it yourself or move on.

n54 itself is a pretty solid alloy short block imo, for someone wanting a boosted bmw straight 6. take engine management & DI out of the equation, its got good durability to weight and the mechanical failure points not too hard to mechanically improve.
How’s everything coming with the standalone? I’d love to hear more about the syvec’s unit and how it’s working for people.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92

What system are you using? N53 head? My dillema is, i sold my foxbody because i wanted something with more creature comforts, while having a metric fuckton of power. If i can manage 900+ while having my heated seats, a/c, cruise, abs, traction control, then hell yeah im all for it. Nothing like shitting on little jimmys firebird while hes sweating his ass off, stuck to his leather seat. But you get rid of that with standalone. Then here i am back again in the same position as the foxbody. And thats not something i wanna do.

The whole money thing, i look at it as, its my only hobby, other than raging on xbox, but had it two years, well over 30 deep. But hey, its better than a drug problem. And it keeps you busy and learning new things.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I never understand when people try and make this argument...the cost of parts relative to the price of the vehicle means nothing. The steering factor is the overall investment, not individual prices.

Never getting your money back is also not a valid point. You’re nodding a car, you’ll never get your money back period. Cars are money pits and terrible investments. If you go into it expecting a return on your investment, you’re not all there.

Thats the argument i keep hearing from most owners when they want to buy high end parts,

Most insurance companies will only pay you out the market value unless you pay a premium for agreed value and limited use.

I would at least want some of my money back but I've insured my 1m for 100k for this very reason

If someone runs into me I can rebuild it at the very least or move on.

Reactions: SD Garage

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
What system are you using? N53 head? My dillema is, i sold my foxbody because i wanted something with more creature comforts, while having a metric fuckton of power. If i can manage 900+ while having my heated seats, a/c, cruise, abs, traction control, then hell yeah im all for it. Nothing like shitting on little jimmys firebird while hes sweating his ass off, stuck to his leather seat. But you get rid of that with standalone. Then here i am back again in the same position as the foxbody. And thats not something i wanna do.

all of the high end stand alones are going to have a variety of traction control methods more advanced/flexible than bmw imo. if you are using a stand alone competitively then managing engine power in your control is why you made the purchase so they have to be effective at doing that.... most of the other functions you mention aren't handled by the dme nor does the dme have any input over CAN to talk to those things as far as I know (except cruise). I understand what your saying, but really most creature comforts are not handled by the dme. the only thing I would say is your likely to end up with a longer crank and rougher cold running operation without spending a lot of tuning time, this is where oem's spend a lot of time dialling in cold running behaviour and your general tooner is more interested in your headline dyno number.

if you didnt use syvecs for instance, the only things i can think of would be re-wiring the low pressure fuel pumps (currently integrated over CAN), your dash display (which you could replace the whole lot really if you wanted to), and the direct injectors. but yeah - better ask one of the LS swap guys what else was a head f8k.

i have the stock n54 head, I've machined DI port plugs to fill the holes and a blanking plate for the vacuum pump. i havent used them yet as I may yet keep the DI - will test it one last time perhaps - dont know, one more thing to go wrong and takes extra tuning time.

not sure I see 900whp (even dynojet numbers) out a of 3L displacement as a goal worth aspiring to for reliability. cant you sh8t on jimmy's firebird with 600whp twins and a simple MHD flash? or does jimmy run a big block?? ;)

Reactions: DCook

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
How’s everything coming with the standalone? I’d love to hear more about the syvec’s unit and how it’s working for people.

driven for about one year with various teething problems. seems like most of my issues were related to the pnp adaptor harness which I am now waiting for a replacement. I've had unresolved as of yet issues with the DI driver module - apparently there are plenty of other users without issues so who knows :confused:, I may or may not continue down that path. car run fines on DI or PI only and there are less variables to tune for PI only so the value for me personally is starting to dwindle on DI. I find DI easier to tune low rpm transients, its almost idiot proof. PI requires a bit more fine tuning in that area to get the same driveability. If I wanted maximum power out of low octane fuel I'd pursue DI as much as I could, but I don't, so... its another 20+ wires, more tuning variables and 4kg+ I don't need.

if I had my time again I would seriously consider any high end ecu and wire it myself. the syvecs is very capable, but it was mostly driven by the pnp factor which now i have gained a lot of learning over the last year, the lack of pnp doesn't concern me as much as it used to.