How to Properly Refill the ZF 6HP19/21 Transmission

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT
Just had my trans fluid + filter/pan done and was told specifically NOT to reset adaptations. The prescribed ZF learning procedure is pretty difficult to do unless you've got a lot of open road or a dyno handy, too.

xHP recommends the same: https://www.facebook.com/xhpflashto...-controlsince-the-launch-of/1923761651273188/

My understanding is that it should only be done when hardware is being changed out, not just for fluid changes. I'm sure there are people doing it regularly, but surprised to see contradicting info from PD. Curious what their reasoning is.

While it's true that the adaptions only need to be reset after major changes to the system, like hardware and such, our reasoning is that the ATF was initially a "life-time" fluid per BMW/ZF. We all now know that is not the reality. As most on here know, mechanical fluids undergo drastic property changes due to friction over a given time interval, especially at high power levels, so the TCU compensates accordingly with adaptions. We recommended the reset based on an assumption that the fluid being disposed of during the rebuild had already run its life cycle and the new fluid needed to start from zero so to say. This is one of those things that will fall under user discretion depending on circumstances.

Last edited:
Reactions: matreyia

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I took like smoking is reset and don't adapt vaping is dont reset and vegan dont smoke and take vitamins is reset and relearn

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I do a reset and relearn each and every time I change fluid and filter. Because I hate having to drive it like a bag of rocks after that work. I just drive for 60 miles during the relearn and I'm done... if you don't have the distance with safe shoulder lanes...forgetaboutit.

Reactions: Jeffman

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
While it's true that the adaptions only need to be reset after major changes to the system, like hardware and such, our reasoning is that the ATF was initially a "life-time" fluid per BMW/ZF. We all now know that is not the reality. As most on here know, mechanical fluids undergo drastic property changes due to friction over a given time interval, especially at high power levels, so the TCU compensates accordingly with adaptions. We recommended the reset based on an assumption that the fluid being disposed of during the rebuild had already run its life cycle and the new fluid needed to start from zero so to say. This is one of those things that will fall under user digression depending on circumstances.

OH Jason, BTW... after Rb09msport and I been testing a shitload of settings in XHP, I finally got the proper settings. Now the transmission is shifting as it should...very smooth, and no anomalies even under high power. It just goes. You can feel it shift when WOT, but feels totally like you expect it. When driving normal or even medium aggressive, you cannot feel the shifts at all. VERY DOPE. Now to upgrade them damn turbos.

Reactions: AUbeast86

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT
OH Jason, BTW... after Rb09msport and I been testing a shitload of settings in XHP, I finally got the proper settings. Now the transmission is shifting as it should...very smooth, and no anomalies even under high power. It just goes. You can feel it shift when WOT, but feels totally like you expect it. When driving normal or even medium aggressive, you cannot feel the shifts at all. VERY DOPE. Now to upgrade them damn turbos.

Outstanding!! Thanks for the update!

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I changed solenoids and all sleeves again no foam strip though. Reset accusations and did relearn drive and halfassed m mode and no more 1st gear bump. I didn't even flash stock for relearn. How important is it to not relearn on xhp stage 3 ? Should I flash stock and redo or flash stock and do relearn procedure without resetting or will it just take little longer cause the increased pressure from xhp? @Jason@Propulsive-Dynamics but trans finally feels great driving soft. All the other stuff was good just I think I had a defective brake solenoid cause my downshifts are way smoother esp the 2to1 when coming to stop

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I changed solenoids and all sleeves again no foam strip though. Reset accusations and did relearn drive and halfassed m mode and no more 1st gear bump. I didn't even flash stock for relearn. How important is it to not relearn on xhp stage 3 ? Should I flash stock and redo or flash stock and do relearn procedure without resetting or will it just take little longer cause the increased pressure from xhp? @Jason@Propulsive-Dynamics but trans finally feels great driving soft. All the other stuff was good just I think I had a defective brake solenoid cause my downshifts are way smoother esp the 2to1 when coming to stop

According to xhp you will be fine driving for a few days or couole of weeks in the city. Stop and go smoothly.