How to Properly Refill the ZF 6HP19/21 Transmission

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT
Hey guys, I've been seeing some people reporting some issues lately resulting from not properly filling the transmission after rebuilds, upgrades and/or maintenance. These issues range from poor shift quality to failed shifts that have ultimately resulted in trans limp mode.

It's also extremely important to reset and relearn the adaptations every time the ATF is changed so I'm working on finishing that DIY for you guys as well.

The attached DIY uses several sources referenced from ZF literature that I've modified for clarity and comprehensiveness.

I'm happy to answer any questions you guys have regarding this procedure.

Attachments

• PD ATF Fill Procedure.pdf
    213 KB · Views: 4,410
Last edited:

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Jason,

I read in one of the docs I found that the car should be in N when filling. I suggest everyone check their fluid again after a 100 miles. Managed to get another .5 liter in. Use the fluid Jason recommends, those other brands will cause problems, ask me how I know.

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT
Jason,

I read in one of the docs I found that the car should be in N when filling. I suggest everyone check their fluid again after a 100 miles. Managed to get another .5 liter in. Use the fluid Jason recommends, those other brands will cause problems, ask me how I know.

Excellent point about checking the fluid level again after 100 miles. We were able to get an additional .5L in after a few miles as well.
I also have seen the other instructions call for the trans to be in N when filling. I've done it both ways with the same result so we went with P in our instructions for safety purposes.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Hey guys, I've been seeing some people reporting some issues lately resulting from not properly filling the transmission after rebuilds, upgrades and/or maintenance. These issues range from poor shift quality to failed shifts that have ultimately resulted in trans limp mode.

It's also extremely important to reset and relearn the adaptations every time the ATF is changed so I'm working on finishing that DIY for you guys as well.

The attached DIY uses several sources referenced from ZF literature that I've modified for clarity and comprehensiveness.

I'm happy to answer any questions you guys have regarding this procedure.
---------

Hey Jason,
How important is it to have the AC turned on when doing the ATF fill? I have never heard of this requirement from shops, youtube diy videos, or even the Bentley manuals. What does the AC do when it is turned on while filling the ATF?

VT

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT
---------

Hey Jason,
How important is it to have the AC turned on when doing the ATF fill? I have never heard of this requirement from shops, youtube diy videos, or even the Bentley manuals. What does the AC do when it is turned on while filling the ATF?

VT

Every piece of ZF literature I've ever read regarding this procedure included turning the AC on. It puts more load on the engine which in turn pulls more ATF through the system so you get a better fill. Not doing so could cause your ATF level to be lower than optimal.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Guys, have your shit ready to get under the car and refill before starting it up. The window where the trans temp is ideal comes and goes QUICK. It takes hours for the fluid temp to settle back down if the window passes, even in cooler weather.

Reactions: AUbeast86

cityazndan

Corporal
Jan 17, 2017
Ride
2016 340i xDrive
So this gets the full (11-12qt?) of ATF out instead of the traditional 6-7L trans pan service, correct?

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
what are you guys using for ATF Fluid in your 335 auto trans.i have a 2008 335 e90 so not sure if the autos are different from the next.Reason why im asking is i have Redline ATF D4 in my car.when my warranty was up i drained,filled with redline,drove around drained again so it would mix then filled up again so i can get most of the old fluid out.Im just wondering if i should keep the Redline in or switch to something else.Now im running a single turbo and whatever i can do to help the longevity of my trans.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
what are you guys using for ATF Fluid in your 335 auto trans.i have a 2008 335 e90 so not sure if the autos are different from the next.Reason why im asking is i have Redline ATF D4 in my car.when my warranty was up i drained,filled with redline,drove around drained again so it would mix then filled up again so i can get most of the old fluid out.Im just wondering if i should keep the Redline in or switch to something else.Now im running a single turbo and whatever i can do to help the longevity of my trans.
I recommend zf. Fluid for non-modified trannies.

But if ypu have redline on there already ot will be super expensive to completely flush out the redline. Stick with that until it goes kaputt.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
What else should be changed besides fluid and pan/ filter i have read their are 4 seals and mech sleeve that should be changed some say to change solenoid as well at 60 to 100k and is their a kit that just has everything needed?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
What else should be changed besides fluid and pan/ filter i have read their are 4 seals and mech sleeve that should be changed some say to change solenoid as well at 60 to 100k and is their a kit that just has everything needed?

I just did that job for a client.

1. four seals tubeshaped
2. one rectangular seal
3. new set of solenoids on valve body
4. new filter/pan
5. new ATF
6. reset adaptations
7. ZF drive programming procedure

Reactions: doublespaces

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I just did that job for a client.

1. four seals tubeshaped
2. one rectangular seal
3. new set of solenoids on valve body
4. new filter/pan
5. new ATF
6. reset adaptations
7. ZF drive programming procedure
Where are you located?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Where are you located?

I am based in Houston.
For that service I charge $500 labor. Client is responsible for proper ATF 10 liters, solenoid kit (eshift or m shift), all seals and o rings, pan filter, solenoid foam strip separator, and mechatronic external connector seal.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Skip to 4:50

Also, I want to add that you should not follow step A if you intend to simply top off your fluid. When the engine is not running all the fluid drains back down to the bottom and it will start pour out on your garage floor.

Last edited:

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
Just had my trans fluid + filter/pan done and was told specifically NOT to reset adaptations. The prescribed ZF learning procedure is pretty difficult to do unless you've got a lot of open road or a dyno handy, too.

xHP recommends the same: https://www.facebook.com/xhpflashto...-controlsince-the-launch-of/1923761651273188/

My understanding is that it should only be done when hardware is being changed out, not just for fluid changes. I'm sure there are people doing it regularly, but surprised to see contradicting info from PD. Curious what their reasoning is.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
No you want to do it with any change including fluid however it is better to not do it than to do it and not do proper relearn as you can damage transmission. The transmission will learn on its own gradually it just will take longer. Also If doing fluid and mech sleeve as maintenance it's not as big a deal if doing it because their was an issue than its wiser to reset adaptations as it's more likely to have a drastic change in shift times or pressure.

Reactions: matreyia