Hydra outlet design ideas "completed"

mikeseli

Corporal
May 23, 2017
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
Here is my setup, HP800 on a N53/54. Just finished the installation moments ago. The PSP outlets worked.

Attachments

• 9A85B126-DC17-4D74-8B23-BDBAA03D4BD1.jpeg
    9A85B126-DC17-4D74-8B23-BDBAA03D4BD1.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 214
  • 9C28C73B-8E10-44FA-8EAF-17DBB7AB14BE.jpeg
    9C28C73B-8E10-44FA-8EAF-17DBB7AB14BE.jpeg
    448.9 KB · Views: 232
Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
Forgive me for not having been around much lately, there has been much for me to attend to lately... I am taking a two-pronged approach to the outlet issue, I managed to find a supplier for lengths of steel-reinforced high-temperature silicone hose which bend/flex without buckling inside, and I am currently casting a nice compact aluminum merge to be positioned (clamped or welded) right by the FMIC inlet. This will likely offer marginally better performance than the traditional outlet setup since the angle between both outlet banks is then close to 180-deg, which disrupts the flow as little as possible. Once the casting is done (in a week or thereabouts) I will be able to test fitment, and then performance, on my car to see how much better it is compared to my existing silicone outlet - which is holding up very well after 6000km of hard use and multiple trackdays and events... In the meantime, I am also working on bringing my long-awaited 1pc silicone outlet design into production. I've been working on this since November, but due to the nature of the design its been technically challenging actually being able to produce this...

PS - Nice manifolds @mikeseli btw :p

60066822_1096504203890127_8782763651334406144_n.jpg
59774219_405390350305284_2778695032780095488_n.jpg

53305511_576430839493421_1611100979292274688_n.png

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Forgive me for not having been around much lately, there has been much for me to attend to lately... I am taking a two-pronged approach to the outlet issue, I managed to find a supplier for lengths of steel-reinforced high-temperature silicone hose which bend/flex without buckling inside, and I am currently casting a nice compact aluminum merge to be positioned (clamped or welded) right by the FMIC inlet. This will likely offer marginally better performance than the traditional outlet setup since the angle between both outlet banks is then close to 180-deg, which disrupts the flow as little as possible. Once the casting is done (in a week or thereabouts) I will be able to test fitment, and then performance, on my car to see how much better it is compared to my existing silicone outlet - which is holding up very well after 6000km of hard use and multiple trackdays and events... In the meantime, I am also working on bringing my long-awaited 1pc silicone outlet design into production. I've been working on this since November, but due to the nature of the design its been technically challenging actually being able to produce this...

PS - Nice manifolds @mikeseli btw :p

View attachment 27314View attachment 27315
View attachment 27316

Any concern with the flex hose hitting a heat source? Or is it actually pretty rigid.

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
In the meantime, I am also working on bringing my long-awaited 1pc silicone outlet design into production. I've been working on this since November, but due to the nature of the design its been technically challenging actually being able to produce this...
View attachment 27316

My $.02 to get your silicone outlet ordeal off the ground: Do the same thing we had done with our outlets and make it 2-piece. We made some nice CNC couplers to connect the "tail" (or rear turbo side) to the front section. Not only does it make it easier to produce, it makes it a bit easier to install as well. Additionally being silicone it just is not going to last forever, so having it in a 2-piece form makes it a bit more serviceable when/if/where needed. The rear turbo hose section can be coupled to the front outlet section just rearward of the merger.

Rob

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
So do we actually know what specifically doesn't mate up with the PSP solution?

Filippo

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Honestly I'm starting to wonder if the SS/aluminum outlets struggle due to huge car to car variance in that area due to engine mounts, minute clearance differences with the frame rail, wheel housing, etc.

Proof/example of these measurement variances exists on all E82 cars in rear wheel fitment, some end up ruining the fuel filler tube and some don't with the same spec and alignment. The clearances just aren't perfect.

Might also explain why some folks keep detonating one piece silicone outlets and why the two piece varieties seem to be lasting longer.

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
The problem that will be encountered with fitment is the perfection (and consistency) in the compressor housing outlet clocking. As these are custom clocking locations the manufacturer likely has a jig they use to drill new holes in either the center bearing cartridge, or the compressor housings, to adjust it's outlet angles.

While MMP and Hydra are both going for the OE clocking, they may have a slight variance nonetheless. This variance could be just enough to cause poor fitment if trying to use a part designed for one for the other, and for this reason the PSP outlets (for MMP Stage "3") may or may not work (in theory they should).

There is also the possibility of inconsistency per manufacturing clocking, pending on their methods of doing these things. Ultimately there is very small margin for error in these cars when it comes to fitments, so everything has to be spot-on and consistent which is at times very difficult especially when mixing and matching parts designed from different vendors. The silicone offerings certainly could help in this regard being pliable and what not.

Rob

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Frontside I thought he said he answered, lmk if not . I am back home and my car is done I just have to fill tranny with fluid and do drive cycle so hopefully getting car flat bedded back to the other building tomorrow morning and will star tuning and get a few dynos up finally

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Here is my setup, HP800 on a N53/54. Just finished the installation moments ago. The PSP outlets worked.
Question are you in car installed? Or engine stand installed cause from exp might not look ok now and be prob when you get in bay
I overlayed Omar's outlet pic with yours and could be completely wrong plus you may have different fmic setup but looks to be way off on the front connection which if you go back that was my issue ,if I used the 135 degree elbow with vtt and or mmp hard outlets when I lined up fmic connection I was 4 inches off front turbo connection and if I lined up turbo connections first it looked like I might have a shot but then I had a car in the way. Then the only problem was to much sharp shit for me to put my foot in their and start kicking so I did what any idiot that tries do something themselves 3 times. I paid someone else to do it lmao.

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
911 advice im on way to pick up my car and they used 1 and half quart zf lifeguard tranny fluid since my tranny was ripped apart completely. I know pd trans are supposed to use pentosin which the other 7 quarts are is this a prob or since usually people done drop converter is that 1 and quarter to half quart gonna be issue. Supposedly the difference is the pentosin is slightly more viscous and trades mileage for performance on stock transmissions.

JBacon335

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Toms River, NJ
Ride
07 335i Sedan, 1988 Mustang GT
911 advice im on way to pick up my car and they used 1 and half quart zf lifeguard tranny fluid since my tranny was ripped apart completely. I know pd trans are supposed to use pentosin which the other 7 quarts are is this a prob or since usually people done drop converter is that 1 and quarter to half quart gonna be issue. Supposedly the difference is the pentosin is slightly more viscous and trades mileage for performance on stock transmissions.

Zf lifeguard is the factory fill anyway. Don't sweat it. 2 quarts out of the whole system isn't much either

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
That's honestly what I was hoping. Should I reset adaptations or wait cause it shifting so so I am granny driving cause shop told me to drive 500 to 1k then come back and change tranny filter and fluid again. Does that sound right ? For gtr and stuff he does that all time but I never have heard that for our tranny but I also dont really know of many that have their tranny rebuilt and upgraded.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Also this best forum I had an error when trying tti post and almost never have prob but doublespaces PMed me to try again he is so on top of shit it not funny been him and filippo we are really lucky . Last thing I want is a sticky situation lmao pun intended for those who have the unfortunate experience to know what that means

Reactions: jts1981